1st Author Pub But Average MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tradkeke

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I take the MCAT in a little over a week and it looks like I'll have about an average score (I would say 506-510) while I realize I might score higher or lower I think that's the range I'm in. Would schools that I'm competitive for care about my first author pub? I already have one and could most likely get another if I continue my research next year, however this would eat into time I could spend volunteering which I feel is what schools I will be competitive for would care about more.

I realize this would be important for top tier schools, but as it looks now my MCAT just won't be competitive for them. Will lower tier MD schools and DO schools care whether I have 1 or 2 first author pubs? (This is assuming I get the low end of my spectrum)

I realize I could get lucky and score 510+, if this happens with an avg GPA (3.65-3.7 both cGPA and sGPA) and average ECs and low-avg volunteering (VP of club, about 250 hours clinical and 175-200 non clinical) I also scribed and was an EMT on a 911 ALS ambulance but that was mainly to support myself. Would I have any chance at top schools considering my research experience?

Feel free to be as brutally honest as you'd like. I feel like I wasted a lot of time with my research when schools might not even care about it. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed it. But I could've spent 1/2 the amount of time and still enjoyed it while using my other time to volunteer.

What MCAT score do you think, given my app, would make me competitive for mid-top tier MD programs?

Thanks for all the help.

Members don't see this ad.

I think having a paper out of your research is really impressive to every school, regardless of tier. I have no productive research and applied to UMich with a 514, but I think it's a big reach for me.

Reactions: 1 users
For the research powerhouses, 514+ (33/34) ould be a general minimum (assuming you are not URM).

Everyone cares about research, some just a little (a lot) more so.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think having a paper out of your research is really impressive to every school, regardless of tier. I have no productive research and applied to UMich with a 514, but I think it's a big reach for me.

Were you IS or OOS?

Reactions: 1 user
For the research powerhouses, 514+ (33/34) ould be a general minimum (assuming you are not URM).

Everyone cares about research, some just a little (a lot) more so.

What schools (generally) would you consider my app competitive for if I was able to get 514? Just trying to get some sort of idea not for any concrete suggestions.

Wow, congrats on the paper! That's an excellent accomplishment. I think you have put a lot of thought into this and I agree with your thoughts about volunteering. However, since you have an opportunity to continue research that seems productive, I feel like you should stick with it. You *do* need volunteering for any medical school, and you have some already. Would you consider a gap year where you could really put a lot of time into volunteering? Perhaps scribing for a year while volunteering at a non-clinical activity? Or working for Americorps? If you were putting a lot of time into research without first author publications, I would think differently. But I don't think you'll have the same opportunity for research when you get out while you will have many opportunities for clinical and volunteer experiences later. Having substantial experience with both could set you apart. Good luck with the MCAT!

Were you IS or OOS?
I'm OOS, but was born and raised there through high school and my entire family still lives there. I live less than an hour from the state line, not that they'd know that part.

What schools (generally) would you consider my app competitive for if I was able to get 514? Just trying to get some sort of idea not for any concrete suggestions.
At exactly a 514, I'd hazard an app at Duke, Emory, Mayo, Pitt, UCLA DGSOM, USC, maybe UCSF, or any of the research big-boys with averages within 516. These places care about research A LOT more than they will ever publicly admit to.

a 510-513 I'd still consider Mayo, Emory, Pitt, USC.

That's an awesome accomplishment, however, for the top research schools who would care most about it you'd like to at least have an 90%ile MCAT. While they care about research A LOT, they also care even more about GPA + MCAT. If you get a 506-510 I would say apply to your in-state MDs and use MSAR for about 12-18 more. Then I would also say apply to about 5-8 DOs just to be safe. If you score 510+ then look into those research schools because your first author pub is a huge plus. Best of luck on the MCAT!

At exactly a 514, I'd hazard an app at Duke, Emory, Mayo, Pitt, UCLA DGSOM, USC, maybe UCSF, or any of the research big-boys with averages within 516. These places care about research A LOT more than they will ever publicly admit to.

a 510-513 I'd still consider Mayo, Emory, Pitt, USC.

I don't think I'd get above a 514. A 514 would be if a priest and a rabbi came and blessed the computer I'm taking my MCAT on. I think a 514 is my personal perfect scenario peak. So 510-513 is probably a more realistic reach.

I'm OOS, but was born and raised there through high school and my entire family still lives there. I live less than an hour from the state line, not that they'd know that part.

I'm the opposite! Born right next to UofM but go to school about 30 min south of the state line in Ohio!

That's an awesome accomplishment, however, for the top research schools who would care most about it you'd like to at least have an 90%ile MCAT. While they care about research A LOT, they also care even more about GPA + MCAT. If you get a 506-510 I would say apply to your in-state MDs and use MSAR for about 12-18 more. Then I would also say apply to about 5-8 DOs just to be safe. If you score 510+ then look into those research schools because your first author pub is a huge plus. Best of luck on the MCAT!

Thank you! I should probably get off SDN and keep studying now. Thanks to everyone for the boost of confidence!

Wow, congrats on the paper! That's an excellent accomplishment. I think you have put a lot of thought into this and I agree with your thoughts about volunteering. However, since you have an opportunity to continue research that seems productive, I feel like you should stick with it. You *do* need volunteering for any medical school, and you have some already. Would you consider a gap year where you could really put a lot of time into volunteering? Perhaps scribing for a year while volunteering at a non-clinical activity? Or working for Americorps? If you were putting a lot of time into research without first author publications, I would think differently. But I don't think you'll have the same opportunity for research when you get out while you will have many opportunities for clinical and volunteer experiences later. Having substantial experience with both could set you apart. Good luck with the MCAT!

Thank you!

First off, yes, schools will absolutely care about your publication. The question is whether they get to that part of your application if your MCAT scores are too low. Unfortunately with the high volume of applications that medical schools (especially mid-top tier) receive, they need to invoke some type of screening process because they can't obviously read every little thing on someone's application. A lot of the time they use MCAT scores to create a "screening cutoff" until they have a manageable stack of applications. Right now, I'd just focus on doing your best on that test...where to apply will come later.

I'm the opposite! Born right next to UofM but go to school about 30 min south of the state line in Ohio!
If your an IS Ohio resident I think you have a great chance at Ohio State, Cinci, Toledo, or Wright State. And as far as DOs go, OU is one of the best ones. You should definitely get an acceptance with a solid MCAT score.

I take the MCAT in a little over a week and it looks like I'll have about an average score (I would say 506-510) while I realize I might score higher or lower I think that's the range I'm in. Would schools that I'm competitive for care about my first author pub? I already have one and could most likely get another if I continue my research next year, however this would eat into time I could spend volunteering which I feel is what schools I will be competitive for would care about more.

I realize this would be important for top tier schools, but as it looks now my MCAT just won't be competitive for them. Will lower tier MD schools and DO schools care whether I have 1 or 2 first author pubs? (This is assuming I get the low end of my spectrum)

I realize I could get lucky and score 510+, if this happens with an avg GPA (3.65-3.7 both cGPA and sGPA) and average ECs and low-avg volunteering (VP of club, about 250 hours clinical and 175-200 non clinical) I also scribed and was an EMT on a 911 ALS ambulance but that was mainly to support myself. Would I have any chance at top schools considering my research experience?

Feel free to be as brutally honest as you'd like. I feel like I wasted a lot of time with my research when schools might not even care about it. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed it. But I could've spent 1/2 the amount of time and still enjoyed it while using my other time to volunteer.

What MCAT score do you think, given my app, would make me competitive for mid-top tier MD programs?

Thanks for all the help.

Publications are rare and certainly admirable, but they do not have magic powers.

Score a 513 and you'll be competitive for tons of good schools (think Keck/Dartmouth/BU class)

Also, may the biology questions be ever in your favor this next week :)