1st day of med school. 140 characters. Go

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Culmination of a dream. As good as I would have imagined. Love my curriculum, feel like Sherlock Holmes. Loved every second of it. Cant wait

Reactions: 3 users
Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah!??!??

Reactions: 10 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Inadequacy, stupid, know nothing, dumb, screwed.

Reactions: 1 user
So exciting
Fun clinical wards
Classmates are friendly and awesome!
Supportive environment for training Christian physicians
Couldn’t be better!

1st day: WTF, lecturers are so fast, how will I pass?
2nd day: I think I can do this.
3rd day: Anatomy finally starts to click after going into anatomy lab to study the cadavers.

Reactions: 1 users
"Does this white coat make me look fat?"

Reactions: 18 users
So exciting
Fun clinical wards
Classmates are friendly and awesome!
Supportive environment for training Christian physicians
Couldn’t be better!
You were on wards in the first day of school?

First in-class lecture: "yep, this is the last lecture of the year for me."

Reactions: 12 users
Culmination of a dream. As good as I would have imagined. Love my curriculum, feel like Sherlock Holmes. Loved every second of it. Cant wait

If all you have is a HinduHammer, everything looks like a nail good time.

First day of med school at Mayo Medical School - first class - brand new curriculum in the Science of Health Care Delivery. Get this, Mayo Med School is one of the first in the nation to offer this - they are actually set on transforming medical education. It's already pretty amazing! The dean said they are focused on not only giving us the knowledge to care for patients, but also the tools to improve health care. Most docs have to learn this on their own.

Members don't see this ad :)
Man the PAs are ****ing hot goddamn

Reactions: 13 users
Embryology is super detailed, super lost and confused then went home and studied for hours then bed and sleep deprivation followed the following few next days.

First day of med school at Mayo Medical School - first class - brand new curriculum in the Science of Health Care Delivery. Get this, Mayo Med School is one of the first in the nation to offer this - they are actually set on transforming medical education. It's already pretty amazing! The dean said they are focused on not only giving us the knowledge to care for patients, but also the tools to improve health care. Most docs have to learn this on their own.

Way too many characters.

Also, beware of promises like the above. Most of these "revolutionary curriculum changes" are little more than an academic educator's need to change things for the sake of changing in order to garner a few publications.

Reactions: 9 users

This sounds like the same thing I heard at just about every med school on the interview trail. Every school is amazing and each school chose the most special amazing class to ever med school.

You were on wards in the first day of school?
Yes, my school does clinical wards for the first 2 weeks of medical school. It is Part of our Orientation to Medicine class, where we are to learn about patient care, patient care teams, and how to conduct patient interviews. The basic science classes start after the 2 weeks of clinical wards.

This sounds like the same thing I heard at just about every med school on the interview trail. Every school is amazing and each school chose the most special amazing class to ever med school.

There is one exception: Dell. Too bad they're not open yet. For those who want to see a school making MAJOR curricular changes and doing it right, take a look.

This is a big reason my school does 6 weeks of clinical wards during your first year. We just recently implemented it, and the goal is to train physicians who will care for patients and not just be science robots. They want us to see how the science we learn in the classroom applied to patient care. They also want us to practice connecting with and interviewing patients about things other than disease and diagnoses. From my first week of clinical wards, I have been impressed with how good of a job some of these docs, residents, and students trained by my school do at connecting to their patients and talking about issues in their lives other than pathologies and medications.

GroverPsychMD said:
1st day of med school. 140 characters. Go

That's 460 characters. I thought Mayo would have selected students who were better at reading the directions.

Reactions: 21 users

This is a big reason my school does 6 weeks of clinical wards during your first year. We just recently implemented it, and the goal is to train physicians who will care for patients and not just be science robots. They want us to see how the science we learn in the classroom applied to patient care. They also want us to practice connecting with and interviewing patients about things other than disease and diagnoses. From my first week of clinical wards, I have been impressed with how good of a job some of these docs, residents, and students trained by my school do at connecting to their patients and talking about issues in their lives other than pathologies and medications.

And here I took this as sarcasm... Do you now how much I've heard this "we're going to change how physicians practice" crap all week from my dean? Every school does this and putting us in the hospital does nadda, since we know jack sh** at this point.

On topic, first week wasn't bad. Just realized my study strategies are pathetically inefficient.

And here I took this as sarcasm... Do you now how much I've heard this "we're going to change how physicians practice" crap all week from my dean? Every school does this and putting us in the hospital does nadda, since we know jack sh** at this point.

On topic, first week wasn't bad. Just realized my study strategies are pathetically inefficient.

I think putting us in the hospital is still useful despite how little science we know, because this allows us to focus on improving our patient care skills and noticing how doctors communicate and connect with their patients. It allows us to concentrate on the human side of medicine, not just the science behind it.

Ehhh... I'm gonna disagree a little bit. A lot (a LOT) of 3rd year med students are rather robotic when they first hit the wards. The ones that come from schools where they are exposed to clinic from early 1st year tend to be a little less freaked out by real patients early on in the year. This is of course a gross generalization and there are plenty of contrary anecdotes.

But I don't think it makes a long term difference; by December I can't tell the difference between those students who had long term clinical exposure and those who didn't.

Your life, as it has been, is over. We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own. Your culture will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile.

Reactions: 9 users
I think putting us in the hospital is still useful despite how little science we know, because this allows us to focus on improving our patient care skills and noticing how doctors communicate and connect with their patients. It allows us to concentrate on the human side of medicine, not just the science behind it.

I just think its unbelievably naive to say that a TWO WEEK experience (or however its distributed in your curriculum) will change the socioeconomic factors that shape American medicine today.

Give it a few weeks...

Y'all must've been drinking the kool-aid. I see the indoctrination is working well already.

I did one for every year.

MS1 – White coats are so cool! I will cure cancer with my empathy. Hmm… lectures are really fast. A 76 on an exam!? Below average?! Maybe they let me in by accident.

MS2 – Is this high yield for step 1? Is attendance mandatory?

MS3 – I’m so tired. I’m the dumbest person in the room. I wrote 30 notes last week; not a single one was read. This is much less glamorous than I imagined.

MS4 (after sub-internships) – Maybe I’ll come in for a couple hours.

Reactions: 5 users

I just threw up in my mouth.

It's unbelievable that they're actually getting students to fall for this.

Reactions: 7 users
Exciting and trying to look around for hot girls.

Theres a dead roach in the stairwell that has been there so long someone made a memorial for it and posted it directly above the corpse.

First day of biochem: Get the notes packet of 650 pages with 1300 slides of material. I ask if these are notes for the entire 10 week block. M2 scoffs while handing the stack to me and says it is for two weeks. :boom:

Nope Nope Nope Im outta here ...

DgKnXWu.gif

Reactions: 7 users
I'm trying to decide if I'm the dumbest person in my class, or if everyone else is better at hiding the shear terror of it all.

1st day of school: What have I gotten myself into?

I think at the very least, you should be doing things concurrently with learning the basic sciences. You can watch that patient interaction stuff shadowing. I'm sure it sounds great, and you can actually train a monkey to do a h & p, but it's best when you know the science behind the physical.

I am still jelly that you are getting in a hospital that fast. I'm a 2nd yr student and have only darkened the halls of a hospital to shadow.

First day of biochem: Get the notes packet of 650 pages with 1300 slides of material. I ask if these are notes for the entire 10 week block. M2 scoffs while handing the stack to me and says it is for two weeks. :boom:
LOL don't worry, it gets worse.

Reactions: 4 users

except you don't have any patient care skills to begin with because you're at the beginning of first year...

Reactions: 2 users
Yeah. You can also ask a attending if you can shadow them or attend rounds. It's not rocket science, it's medicine!

First Day of MS1
19qgM6j.gif

First Day of MS2
z7RnAOE.gif

Prepping for Step 1
giphycat.gif

On second thought

Last edited:
When can I drink
When can I drink
When can I drink
Oh ****, an exam, I need to drink more after.
Where the hookers at? And blow

Well, this got hard very quickly...