1st pick with post-bacc catch or last pick non-conditional acceptance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dropdeadhideous

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I need some advice asap!

I am kind of torn between a school I was accepted into in december and between a school that just offered me a seat in their post-bacc program. The problem is that the school I got into, where I would start at in the fall of this year is not my favorite. I didn't really like it, it's out of state and I was not too impressed with their facilities. On the other hand my first choice, my state school, who's facilities were better and where I felt more at home didn't offer me a seat in the class of 2015, instead they offered me a seat in the class of 2016 with the condition that I pass all post-bacc program's classes with a B. I need advice, do I just go in the fall and suck it up for the next 4 years or sacrifice a year of earning power and take the extra year long master's program in order to go to my first choice?
P.S
1) the master's program is all paid for (living, books, tuition included)
2) Cost of tuition is not a factor....I've seen it first hand, my father is a dentist and his debt (College, dental school, and other debt) has never significantly effected our standard of living so please don't lecture me on debt. Sorry if that sounded snotty but I understand what debt can and can't do.

-Thanks in advance!!

Members don't see this ad.

Take the state school. I assume the cost for going OOS will easily outweigh the lost year of salary.

Well, can you absolutely get Bs or better? Those guarantee programs are pretty hard. Also, make absolute certain that getting Bs or better would guarantee 2016 acceptance. What are the 2 schools you are talking about? If you don't want to name them publically, just msg me.

Members don't see this ad :)
i would think the cheese in europe would b little more than polar bears in the spaceshuttle bus lol my hammock is on fire

Who cares about the facilities, etc if you are just doing the program to strengthen your dental school application. The end game isn't the Masters degree. Save the money and get into dental school earlier.

If the OOS school is cheaper, this is the easiest decision I would ever have to make.

Why wait a year and add more debt/lost time in postbacc program? It's nonsensical.

Well actually the instate is more expensive :/

Yea, you should just rough it out and go OOS. You're only in DS for 4 years. However, you're stuck with that loan for a great deal longer than that.

I wouldn't worry as much about sacrificing a year of earning power, but the masters with all B's for a year sounds like unnecessary added stress.. Unless you think you'll absolutely hate the OOS school, I'd just go there and save myself the extra step

Reactions: 1 user
Correct me if I'm wrong, but you are trying to make a decision between a dental program and a post-bacc program? If this is true I would go for the dental program even if it costed 700 times more and was on another planet.... come on man!