1st Rejection

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
well, that's fairly amusing. premed2 and i think alike

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys,

Thanks for the support :) It came by snail mail today and was mailed the 11th. I didn't even get past the screening for a secondary so mabe it's ok I saved the money ... but still, ouch. I was verified on 9/3 so I guess it took 7 days.

Let's hope we don't get too many of these ...

Don't feel so bad. I got rejected from Stanford on my birthday. It took them 6 days to mail out the rejection letter and I am very sure that they didn't even bother reading my essay or secondary experiences. They just chugged my numbers in their stupid algorithm and chucked me out like I was some piece of garbage. Whatever....

Members don't see this ad :)
Think i'm gettin my rejection letter from UCSF pretty soon... It's been over a month since they received my verified amcas application.... and I haven't even gotten their secondary yet.

aqs200, must've been pretty tough gettin a rejection on your birthday. if you don't mind me asking, how long after the submitting the secondary did you get the stanford letter?

same here...looks like ucsf is bout to axe me...:laugh:

Yeah, I've been checking for UCSF but nothin. I guess there is technically a little while till the 10 weeks are up, but it feels like it's pretty late in the game, especially cuz I got verified at the beginning. I was really hoping my essay and secondary stuff would be helpful cuz I feel like it's been helpin me out with other screened secondaries and interviews at schools I never though I would have a shot at... but it looks like my science gpa prolly too low for them (3.4ish).

kwanny-I think aqs meant secondary as in the experiences we write about on AMCAS. anyway best of luck to ya aqs, sucks about the rejection on your bday :(

Originally posted by kwanny
Think i'm gettin my rejection letter from UCSF pretty soon... It's been over a month since they received my verified amcas application.... and I haven't even gotten their secondary yet.

aqs200, must've been pretty tough gettin a rejection on your birthday. if you don't mind me asking, how long after the submitting the secondary did you get the stanford letter?

6 days...they were so fast.

Originally posted by Lux Aeterna
Yeah, I've been checking for UCSF but nothin. I guess there is technically a little while till the 10 weeks are up, but it feels like it's pretty late in the game, especially cuz I got verified at the beginning. I was really hoping my essay and secondary stuff would be helpful cuz I feel like it's been helpin me out with other screened secondaries and interviews at schools I never though I would have a shot at... but it looks like my science gpa prolly too low for them (3.4ish).

I'm in the same boat with UCSF. Other people have posted in other threads that their AMCAS data was verified later than me but they've still already gotten the 2ary, so I'm not getting my hopes up too much (it was my first choice, but I'm an out-of-stater). My GPA/MCAT are higher than their average so I thought I might make the first screen, but I guess not.

:confused:

when do most schools start sending rejection letters if they don't consider you post-secondaries?

no wake forest in my future:(

Sorry damntexan for the rejection. How did u hear about it?
Keep ur head up and hopefully an acceptance is on its way.

U Chicago rejection......me sad..... =*(

Originally posted by sandisk115
when do most schools start sending rejection letters if they don't consider you post-secondaries?

This is what I would really like to know, too. Maybe the answer is, like from now to next August ? I don't know ...

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by Paws
This is what I would really like to know, too. Maybe the answer is, like from now to next August ? I don't know ...

Well, for acceptances, they usually say a specific date on the early end but "until class is filled" on the later end. I would assume they would send them out in a timely manner, especially if they're rolling schools, but "until class is filled" can be a long time...

I feel for you all...I'm hoping to get the thick envelope but expecting the thin envelope from Stanford and UCSD. I got secondaries but I doubt I'll get interviews...it's so hard to get into CA schools from out of state!

me so sad....4 rejections so far and it's not even Oct yet. :(

Damn Georgetown and their $100 secondary.

Originally posted by Ubu
me so sad....4 rejections so far and it's not even Oct yet. :(

Damn Georgetown and their $100 secondary.

I KNOW!!!
I don't even consider them that great of a school...
especially with their CRAZY TUITION

Mayo was my very first one.......

and since the Mayo letter was lonely.....

Pitt decided to be a pal and send me theirs to give it company.....

they are soo nice arent they?

;)

Well, I got my first thin envelope today. From the University of Chicago, regreting to inform me that the Committee has decided not to pursue my application further. :p Eh, who needs 'em? :D

Originally posted by soonerpillow
Well, I got my first thin envelope today. From the University of Chicago, regreting to inform me that the Committee has decided not to pursue my application further. :p Eh, who needs 'em? :D

just wondering, soonerpillow, when was your app complete? (i don't feel too bad for you given your HUGE number of interviews so far :) ) thanks.

Originally posted by sickofit
just wondering, soonerpillow, when was your app complete? (i don't feel too bad for you given your HUGE number of interviews so far :) ) thanks.

I'm not exactly sure, but I think it was some time around Aug. 20 or so. (I feel bad for me, cuz now I don't have an excuse to go to Chicago and have some deep dish pizza. :D )

Well, I'm still in the airport coming back from my VAndy interview, and I decide to call my dad and I get the news of a Mayo rejection. HAHA. I wonder how many more of these are on the way...?

Originally posted by soonerpillow
I'm not exactly sure, but I think it was some time around Aug. 20 or so. (I feel bad for me, cuz now I don't have an excuse to go to Chicago and have some deep dish pizza. :D )

did any of you get an e-mail saying your file was complete? I haven't heard anything from them, and i e-mailed today and they said that they hadn't gotten my letter packet yet, but it was shipped almost 2 weeks ago. did it take a while for them to process your letters, too?

If I haven't heard anything from Loyola since being verified, does this mean a rejection?

So far, no post secondary rejections - which will be REALLY painful I'm $$ure - but I know there will be some a comin' ...

As of now I can say no rejections for me.....

However, My rejections letters must be waiting for me on the Adcoms desk. They are waiting for ACMAS to get my stupid, freaking, idiotic application verified and processed.

:mad: :mad:

Originally posted by PianoGirl04
I feel for you all...I'm hoping to get the thick envelope but expecting the thin envelope from Stanford and UCSD. I got secondaries but I doubt I'll get interviews...it's so hard to get into CA schools from out of state!

That's the way i feel about UCSF. Applying to UCSF as out of state was a waste of my time and money. I am pretty sure they have a rejection letter heading my way!

Hey Amy,

As I recall you've been hanging out on the amcas for a LONG time now - as someone who's appl. took 8 1/2 weeks :eek: to be verified, I suggest you get on the horn and become a veritable bug on their butt - if you know what I mean ... I used to call everyone down there like, every day. Finally, they verified me just to get rid of me, I'm sure.

There might be some rejections out there for you, but first we got to get you verified !!

One of my friends was rejected by University of Alabama and denied an interview by Chicago. He now goes to Harvard Medical School.

Moral of the story: 60% of this process is a crapshoot!

Got UChicago's rejection today.... :rolleyes:

"60% of this process is a crapshoot!"

Hmm, where's the 60% number from?

Sachin

I am also in the UChicago reject pool.

Let's form a club! :clap:

dude, that would be awesome..

i've already gotten the boot from georgetown and case western... it's a big downer knowing that even though these schools have rolling admissions, they already know this early in the game that i do not have a chance there :(

WuzUpDoc, I know what you mean, that's how I felt when I got rejections from Mayo and Chicago. I don't know if this would be any consolation, but so far my interviews have been at schools that have closely coincided with my interests and philosophy in medicine (i.e. taking socio-cultural aspects into consideration, having a life outside of medicine). So, perhaps those schools that rejected you don't fit your interests as you much as you might think. I'm sure you'll enjoy most of the interviews you go on and realize that things work out for the better. I think receiving interviews is as much about numbers/ECs as it is about how much one fits into the institution's system.

thanks sachin, that is a good way of looking at it... to be honest, i was never too keen on georgetown, and i don't know if i would have liked living in ohio (no offense to those who live there)... i only wish i could be consoled with getting interviews at places i could be excited about. (so far i only have 2) the worse thing, in my opinion, is being so helpless cuz our fates are in the hands of the adcoms now. i am just hoping for some good news this week cuz i am letting all this get to me too much.

Originally posted by DannGee
did any of you get an e-mail saying your file was complete? I haven't heard anything from them, and i e-mailed today and they said that they hadn't gotten my letter packet yet, but it was shipped almost 2 weeks ago. did it take a while for them to process your letters, too?

yeah i got a letter from loyola saying that my ****s all complete either today or yesterday......i cant remember.......

i sent in my app august 27. just to help you out. on a time frame.

for those of you who got rejected, did you submit your secondaries before they sent you a letter? if so, when did you send your secondaries in? i sent most of mine in within the past month and haven't heard from most of them yet .. just wondering if i'll be receiving a bunch of rejection letters soon or what..:(

My Wake and NWestern were presecondary so that saved me some $$. I think it will be very painful to start getting rejections after I've spent what, oh about how many hundreds of dollars and hours on these secondaries.

i got da boot from mayo.... my first pre-interview rejection... it hurts! :(

i think i'm going to be permanently paranoid about thin envelopes now.

Originally posted by 1150829
i got da boot from mayo.... my first pre-interview rejection... it hurts! :(

i think i'm going to be permanently paranoid about thin envelopes now.

is this rejection pre or post phone interview? thanks.

I got it awhile ago, but Stanford denied me pre secondary. Yesterday, got a nasty little envelope from UCSF. Oh well, it's their loss ;)

Originally posted by pud129
I got it awhile ago, but Stanford denied me pre secondary. Yesterday, got a nasty little envelope from UCSF. Oh well, it's their loss ;)

I'm sorry to hear about your rejections, pud. I think I'm gettin my thin envelope from UCSF soon as well. Just curious, when were you verified and when did you get the letter from UCSF?

Kwanny-
UCSF got my AMCAS on 7/28 I think, and I got the letter on Wednesday (9/24). Neither were top choices, so I'm ok with it. I hope you have better luck with it than me!

Originally posted by Slickness
I got a rejection from Albany today. I'm surprised because that was one of my safety schools. I've received interviews from better schools than them so it's weird.

Slickness, I'm as puzzled as you when I got my rejection at Georgetown but interviews at many better schools.

Originally posted by Slickness
I got a rejection from Albany today. I'm surprised because that was one of my safety schools. I've received interviews from better schools than them so it's weird.

Hey would you mind telling me when your file was complete? I completed mine about a week ago.

Hey all!

I just found out today that I was not accepted to UPenn early decision. I will be deferred to regular admission, but now I am so behind in applying to other schools. I knew this before but it feels so much worse when it happens. I want to go to UPenn so badly so I hope regular admissions will have better results. I just applied to 9 more schools and I think most of them are rolling. Does anyone think it is too late in the game for me? Should I just take a year off? Thanks everyone.

--DrJ

Sorry to hear about the unfortunate situation you are in. Assuming you do not have below average statistics, I would say that you should continue the application process. As long as you make the deadline and you apply to a number of schools, your chances are still good.

got the dreaded letter from ucsf, ouch..verified 7/28

hey DrJ2B,
i'm sorry to hear about upenn, but i really don't think it's too late to apply. i've been having a lot of trouble with secondaries and have only finished about half of them so far and i'm still not panicking :) i know, i know, i'm slow. seriously tho, quite a few of my friends are still working on their secondaries and you realize that all the august mcaters have yet to receive their scores, so you're in good company. best of luck!

another check of the mailbox, another delay of the inevitable ;)...these UCSF letters are taking their time coming over to the East Coast....I actually want to look at mine already so I can forget about it quickly :laugh: