1st year AuD students---Jump in

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drcheaud

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi. I am a first year AuD student at A.T. Still University. We are in Mesa, AZ---where the Summer has just blown over--thank goodness! I am hoping to touch base with fellow 1st years so we can do a little networking and hopefully create a meaningful cohortive relationship.

I'll begin by describing some things we are doing here at ATSU. We have an anatomy/physiology class which is 4 credits (we are quarterly) and have learned extensively about the brain, cranial nerves, and blood flow throughout the body. We have access to many cadavers and have learned quite a bit--with main foci in the audiovestibular regions. We also have an auditory science class (taught by a PhD) and have learned "basic" principles about sound waves (complex, sinusoidal,etc.). We have a "professional roles" class which is just mainly ethics and current business practice methods. And lastly, we have a crash course on ComD.

Aside from classes (and mostly why I chose this particular university), we have clinics for four hours a week. Currently, I am assigned to a private practice at which I have been able to learn quite a bit and benefit from putting classroom and reality together.

If there are any other 1st years out there, please comment on anything! Looking forward to getting to know the class of 2013!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

I'm not an Au.D student, yet and I hope you don't mind me jumping in. I am an undergrad CommD major and I am in the midst of selecting classes for the next term. Do you think it would be beneficial to take a physics class before AuD school? I have already taken biology classes (Physio, Anatomy, Bio 101, BioPsych) and general chemistry courses.

Hi,

I'm not an Au.D student, yet and I hope you don't mind me jumping in. I am an undergrad CommD major and I am in the midst of selecting classes for the next term. Do you think it would be beneficial to take a physics class before AuD school? I have already taken biology classes (Physio, Anatomy, Bio 101, BioPsych) and general chemistry courses.

I just graduated this past May with a speech path and audiology degree. I took a year off and am applying now for fall 2010. I was told it was highly reccommended to take a physics class prior to applying. I took it, and it helped I suppose. That is what I was told by my professor.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi. I am a first year AuD student at A.T. Still University. We are in Mesa, AZ---where the Summer has just blown over--thank goodness! I am hoping to touch base with fellow 1st years so we can do a little networking and hopefully create a meaningful cohortive relationship.

I'll begin by describing some things we are doing here at ATSU. We have an anatomy/physiology class which is 4 credits (we are quarterly) and have learned extensively about the brain, cranial nerves, and blood flow throughout the body. We have access to many cadavers and have learned quite a bit--with main foci in the audiovestibular regions. We also have an auditory science class (taught by a PhD) and have learned "basic" principles about sound waves (complex, sinusoidal,etc.). We have a "professional roles" class which is just mainly ethics and current business practice methods. And lastly, we have a crash course on ComD.

Aside from classes (and mostly why I chose this particular university), we have clinics for four hours a week. Currently, I am assigned to a private practice at which I have been able to learn quite a bit and benefit from putting classroom and reality together.

If there are any other 1st years out there, please comment on anything! Looking forward to getting to know the class of 2013!

Thank you for posting this. I am interested in this school and cannot wait to hear from all the schools I applied for. This gives me a better insight into what the University offers and has for students. Is there any additional information you would like to share?

Thank you so much

Let's see. Physics has come in handy for me already in the first quarter. Sound waves have many physical properties that are easy to understand once those principles are understood. So I would definitely recommend the course. In fact, most universities would expect this prerequisite if I'm not mistaken.

We haven't done cadaver work persay but we've observed ENTs doing that sort of thing on a temporal bone from a cadaver. They do mock mastoidectomies on them and all that. I expecte to be bored out of my tree but I sort of liked watching. I think it was a combination of the time of day it was being performed and the fact that I was in the mood for that sort of thing that particular day.

Having a tough time in psychoacoustics class. Definitely not easy stuff, good to have an undergraduate course in it for preparatory purposes. In any case, I am doing all-right in my other courses thus far and am crossing my fingers until I hit the finish line of the first semester in a few weeks here.

Almost no time for myself but hey this is grad school, right?

We are touching in on some psychoacoustics this quarter and it does seem both counter intuitive and very conceptual. Teucer, where are you studying?

Hello! First year here at Gallaudet (semester system). Here's what I'm taking:

Acoustics and Instrumentation (3)
Anatomy (3)
Diagnostics (3)
Speech and Language Characteristics of Deaf and Hard of Hearing (2)
Intro to Practicum (1)
Clinical Application of Sign Communication (1)
Sign Language 3 (3, Undergrad)

Clinic is 3 hrs a week at the university clinic working mostly with deaf clients but others as well.

Coursework is pretty heavy. Acoustics is challenging-lots of math and physics. It's more than the basics. I took general physics in undergrad and it definitely helped. Anatomy is also way more detailed than the anatomy I took as an undergrad, but general anatomy has given me a good background.

Yep I pretty much have no free time either. Taking it day by day and relying on Google Calendar to remind me what to do.

Are you guys going to AAA this spring?

You know, I haven't quite decided on the AAA this spring. As a first year, I think I'll pass. I will have plenty of time in the future to attend. The time off school may be more valuable to me this time around. Thanks for posting cidanu.

I'm with Dustbug10 @ UAMS

Yes I agree the time off would be nice. We have an assignment we have to do at AAA, and it's the kind of thing that if you do the alternative assignment, you might wish you went to the conference.

Also I've heard from a lot of students that AAA can be really fun and invigorating and get you pumped up about audiology for the rest of the semester.

I'll be at AAA in San Diego. Hope to see some of you there, too!

Hey everyone from last year! Nice to see some familiar names : ) I haven't logged on since last July. First year is going great.

I am currently taking:
1. Site of lesion
2. Amp 1
3. Intensive lab
4. Research methods
5. Amp 1 lab
6. Intensive lap part 2

We have a lot of classes, but thus far its going great!
p.s. we will be at AAA too