1st year books at UTK

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kat0303

UTCVM co 2012 WOOOOOOO!
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I am starting at UTK in the fall, and I am just curious if any of the first year classes use textbooks (recommended or required)? Are there any other books that are useful (medical manuals, medical dictionaries, etc.)? Did anyone use older editions of books?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Ok, so about the textbooks. It all depends on how you study. For physiology, you don't need the book AT ALL for first semester. In second semester, its required for one of the professors. The other useful ones were the veterinary microbiology and the virology book by murphy (again, just for one professor). The only one that's really required at all is the Miller's guide for dog anatomy.

To cut down on costs, I bought the international edition because it can save you up to 50%. Most classes have a textbook that they say you should get. The ones I listed above were the ones I actually used. Most classes also hand out notes, which is where most of the test material comes off. As for the medical dictionary, i bought one and haven't cracked it, but there are a lot of new words (thankfully, most professors explain them). For the books I listed, I'd go with the newest version. When you get your packet of info, there will be an order form with all the editions and prices for VBOT (the bookstore).

Thats good that most of the classes give you notes. In the past, I've always gone ahead and bought any books that were recommended for a class even if they weren't required, because I like to have it just in case I run into something that isn't entirely clear from notes. So, I probably will go ahead and buy what is required, and then get the recommended ones if I can afford them. I'm going to keep an eye out for the international versions on amazon like you mentioned.

Thanks for the help!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm also sure that some students will be selling their textbooks, also info that comes in that pack that you get this summer.

The only book I definitely recommend you buy new is Miller's. I bought mine used and would have done better annotating it myself. Oh, and Pasquini's anatomy of the horse is amazing (and isn't on the list) but that is for 2nd semester.

You'll definitely need the anatomy books. I disagree about the physio book. While it's true you don't need to have it, I found it immensely helpful and easier for me to understand than the professor's notes. I love the book. But as dyachei said, it depends on your own style.

I don't buy many books. I check them out from the library for the semester, unless I definitely want to write in them, like for anatomy and physio. I borrowed virology, microbiology, and parasitology texts (you get to keep them several months).

I thought the immunology book was a total waste. I found internet sites to be much more helpful.

Your big sib might even be nice enough to let you borrow books, so I would not go out and buy anything yet.

You'll definitely need the anatomy books. I disagree about the physio book. While it's true you don't need to have it, I found it immensely helpful and easier for me to understand than the professor's notes. I love the book. But as dyachei said, it depends on your own style.

I don't buy many books. I check them out from the library for the semester, unless I definitely want to write in them, like for anatomy and physio. I borrowed virology, microbiology, and parasitology texts (you get to keep them several months).

I thought the immunology book was a total waste. I found internet sites to be much more helpful.

Your big sib might even be nice enough to let you borrow books, so I would not go out and buy anything yet.

I agree with the last part, but I know a lot of people who were gonna go the library route and couldn't because they were all checked out for the entire semester. The books I listed were ones that were used for assignments and/or tests. Also agree that the immuno book is a waste. Dr. Kennedy provides you with complete notes (and by notes, I mean a textbook) and all the blanks are easily filled in by the internet.

thanks! this is useful info