WAMC: 1st time applicant at IS

Started by HHannahhh
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

HHannahhh

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello! I am a Junior , and I will graduate December 2027. This spring I planned to wait another cycle before applying, but my advisor and the vets I worked with this summer encouraged me to apply, so I decided to do it! I will only apply to my instate school this cycle. I still have Physics 1, Physics 2 and biochem outstanding and my school does not have an issue with as long as they are completed by May. It will not be an issue to complete these courses by May. I want to be a small animal veterinarian.


Pre-Req GPA: 3.917

science GPA: 3.875

last 45: 3.936

I made a B in Organic Chem 1, but everything else has been A’s.

(These are the only GPAs they care about)


Veterinary Experience:

  • 410hours small animal vet assistant this summer.
  • 322 small animal and exotics vet assistant (summer 2025)
  • 66 shadowing hands on hours at equine/small animal clinic (33 hours equine)
  • 20hours shadowing at mixed clinic (~8 hours at a beef farm plus in clinic visits with pigs)
  • 20 hours shadowing at SA clinic
TOTAL VET HOURS: ~865 hours


Animal Experience:

  • 168 hours pet sitting
  • 140 hours job at dog boarding facility (kennel tech)
  • 39 hours working with beef and dairy cows to work with and prepare and show animals in a livestock show on campus
  • ~37 hours spent with beef cows for a calving class
TOTAL ANIMAL HOURS: ~365


Research Experience:

  • 6 (will be doing research this semester, but will not be listed on VMCAS)


Volunteer hours

  • 250 hours most were during high school.

Awards/scholarships:

-semester honors 3 out of 4 semesters (3.75+ is the requirement)

-Eagle Scout

  • lots of awards from high school, but not planning to list on VMCAS.
Extracurriculars:

  • 990 hours High School marching, pep & concert bands
  • 960 hours Boy Scouts
  • 20 hours Pre-vet society
  • 20 various random clubs
TOTAL:~2000

Employment:
-152 hours On campus science tutor. This semester will be my 3rd semester tutoring. Have tutored: chem 1, bio 1, anatomy and physiology of animals, & farm animal reproduction

Most of my extracurricular hours are from high school. I will get more involved in non animal clubs this semester, but I realize that has been lacking. My two jobs at vet clinics have been in 2 different clinics, so I’m not sure if that looks bad. I will be going back during breaks and next summer to the clinic I worked at this summer. What are my chances?
 
Last edited:
This is a 'volunteer' based website so it's not unusual for posts to go unanswered, or not get an answer for several days....

Anyways, your chances are probably very good with your academics. I'd continue to get as much experience as you can and work on your interview skills. I don't think only having experience in two clinics is a bad thing, but if you can branch out it would only be a good thing.
 
This is a 'volunteer' based website so it's not unusual for posts to go unanswered, or not get an answer for several days....

Anyways, your chances are probably very good with your academics. I'd continue to get as much experience as you can and work on your interview skills. I don't think only having experience in two clinics is a bad thing, but if you can branch out it would only be a good thing.
Thank you for the feedback!