1st year Diagnostic Kits (Welch Allyn vs. Heine)

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tresrisque

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I'll be starting my first year this coming August, and it is around that time that I'll be buying my diagnostic kit! My school is offering both the Welch Allyn and the Heine kits. This link below (screenshot) is a comparison of all the models that are offered at my school. I will most likely buy the PanOptic as well (available with both Heine and Welch Allyn):

http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/ad307/brown_chicken_brown_cow/DiagnosticKits.jpg

As of right now, the specs are CONFUSING me! For example:
1) The Welch Allyn kits have 68 single diopter steps, whereas the Heine have 74. What does this mean?
2) I also hear how awesome and helpful PanOptic is. Can someone explain what this does?
3) Also, I'm leaning towards the Heine kit since it has slimmer handles (I have small hands!). However, does anyone know if the Heine is actually lighter than the Welch Allyn?

Those of you who are in school at the moment, which one did you end up purchasing? Any input would be appreciated!

Thank you!! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone!

I'll be starting my first year this coming August, and it is around that time that I'll be buying my diagnostic kit! My school is offering both the Welch Allyn and the Heine kits. This link below (screenshot) is a comparison of all the models that are offered at my school. I will most likely buy the PanOptic as well (available with both Heine and Welch Allyn):

http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/ad307/brown_chicken_brown_cow/DiagnosticKits.jpg

1) The Welch Allyn kits have 68 single diopter steps, whereas the Heine have 74. What does this mean?
2) I also hear how awesome and helpful PanOptic is. Can someone explain what this does?
3) Also, I'm leaning towards the Heine kit since it has slimmer handles (I have small hands!). However, does anyone know if the Heine is actually lighter than the Welch Allyn?

Those of you who are in school at the moment, which one did you end up purchasing? Any input would be appreciated!

It is unfortunate that you are required to purchase this instrument before trying it out to see what you like.

The Diopter lenses are exactly that. You will see that you can change the lenses on the O-Scope. Heine goes from I think +34 to -40 or something like that while Welch a little smaller of a range.

Pan Optic is a waste of money IMO. We don't even use them at all at school and our profs told us not even to waste our times with those things.

Can't remember off the top of my head which instrument is lighter, I think the Heine with the small handles is lighter than the Welch. But I don't recommend purchasing just small handles. I got one small and one large. The problem with a small handle is that battery runs out much faster and when you are first learning, you will be using it for extended time and you will find yourself running out of battery a lot.

I personally have Heine. I think the optics are a bit better than the Welch. Although a majority of my class purchased Keeler. Doesn't look like you have that option though.

I personally liked the Heine unit better. To me it looks nicer and more professional, the illumination seems brighter than the Welch and the optics seem to be better as well. The WA looked so cheapo in my opinion and the light didn't seem that bright to me.

Honestly, I purchased a Welch Allyn my first year, then my second year, I sold off the WA and got a Heine. I remember the WA was much cheaper than the Heine.

I purchased a small handle for the Heine and really don't use it too much. like tresrique mentioned, the small handle runs out of batteries extremely quickly.

The Panoptic is a nice piece of equipment, however you really don't need it. I won one in a class raffle, and used it very seldomly. It is good for screenings and really does make small pupil examination of the posterior segment very easy. It requires very little skill to learn. It's nice to have a further working distance so you're not completely in the face of your patient. There's a good 4 inches I think of separation between your face and your patient's face.

I ended up giving the Panoptic away since I never used it. Heck in practice, I barely use the direct ophthalmoscope.

Good luck with your purchase decision. In the end, they're all basically the same.

Members don't see this ad :)
What are panoptics going for these days? I've got one I'm willing to sell if anyone wants it.

Hello everyone!

1) That many diopter steps is not necessary, its just a selling point.

2) The PanOptis is useful with kids or miotic elderly patients with whom you have to get a view of the posterior pole. But once you graduate, you will hardly use it except in a rare instance.

You can actually purchase the Heine kit and later purchase a PanOptic head because they sell an attachment piece for Heine.

3) I believe the Heine handles are a bit slimmer, but to be honest the weight is pretty negligible because you won't be holding them for longer than 2-3minutes max.

In the end I chose Heine because it was German optics (sophisticated me). If I had to do it again, I'd chose the lowest price one as you will become used to whichever one you choose. :xf:

A few of my classmates have had issues with the slim Heine handles (poor battery life). Panoptic is useful for children since some don't let you get close to them but once you are familiar with direct ophthalmoscope, its pretty easy to use on kids. Ultimately you should give the sets a try and see which one suits you the best. Does your preclinic have sets that you can use before you buy?

It probably doesn't really matter which one you get. The ophthalmoscope really isn't that important. You won't use it much in school (except on screenings and proficiencies). It does have its uses, but don't go crazy on it. I wouldn't worry about the panoptic head either. The ret scope is the one you want to be comfortable with. I also went with Keeler and don't regret it (you don't have that option). The problem I had with the Heine scope was the two bars coming down blocking the turn style that controls the slit. The bar was right where my finger went naturally. Welch Allyn felt cheap, but a lot of people in my class have it and I haven't heard any complaints. You'll get used to whatever you buy.

I basically have never used my ophthalmoscope. There are better ways to visualize the posterior pole.

I have WA and am happy with it. I like the feel and I like the look of it. (the ret)

Buy whatever is cheapest. That's the best advice you'll ever get.

I got the WA because it was cheapest. It feels a little cheaper (plasticy) in my hand but I'm happy with it. I've used my friend's Heine tools and they are made of more metal so they look nice, but I recall them being heavier.

I fiddled with a friend's PanOptic today while in clinic. It is so easy, I feel like I'm cheating. But I doubt I'll use it much in the future so I'm not going to get it. My friend told me that his father uses it when working with kids. It would be great for screenings, too.

My school doesn't use them in clinic, though.

Welch Allyn is really good about repair/replacement/warranty for students as I recall.

I have small hands too and I actually thought the Heine handles were a little too small for me. I also didn't like where the dials and on/off switch, etc. were when I tried them out. But, lots of people in my class that have them like them.

I went with WA and I am happy with it. It fit my hands better and that was really the only reason. It just turned out it was the cheaper one.

I agree with everyone else though - which ever one you choose will be fine. You will learn how to use that one and get used to it.

I personally have a Keeler for my hand-helds (which I love) but both Welch Allyn and Heine are good. Heine is shookproof and dustproof which is pretty sweet but I find the polarised filter on the Welch Allyn ret useful too (but I dont think its necessary).

Like the previous posts, you'll get used to whichever 1 you choose.

Hello,

I purchased a Welsh Allyn diagnostic kit and I am very happy with it. I recommend trying the free classifieds on this site as part of your search. Good Luck.

If you're a guy with larger hands, the Heine w/ the larger handle is my choice. More comfortable to hold and a bit more substantial...the smaller handle was like a magic wand..too small

Also, during screenings the heavier handle makes a slightly more intimidating threat as you brandish it as a weapon towards the kids that won't sit still.