1st Year Gross Anatomy - Foot Dissection

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

heybrother

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm curious when other podiatry students first dissect the lower extremity.

During your first year gross anatomy course, at what point do you dissect the foot, ankle, and lower leg?

DMU includes the leg and foot dissection during the final portion (4th test) of the class. Does anyone do it earlier or perhaps first? It goes without saying that we have a class later devoted entirely to LEA.

Members don't see this ad.

NYCPM only dissects down to the pelvic region during gross anatomy. when we come back the following semester to do lower, the superior half of the body has been removed and we split into smaller groups of 2-3 where each group gets their own leg to dissect. we then dissect the lower extremity over the course of the entire semester.

For full disclosure - we do head to toe in gross anatomy 1st semester of 1st year. My school calendar indicates LEA is second semester, second year and is 2 months (January to mid-March). It appears we do LEA while also doing some sort of clinical podiatry class along with biomechanics. I do not know if the 2nd year lower limb course includes the hip and thigh or if it is just from the knee or ankle. Perhaps a 3rd year will be able to shed some light.

I'm just a first year and none of the second years I know have taken these courses yet, but the information I've supplied above is I believe consistent with my calendar.

Members don't see this ad :)
Temple gross is only down to the pelvis. Lower is an entire dissection, probably the most difficult course of your entire education, and is the entire leg.

Scholl does full head to toe gross anatomy with the MDs. The LEA course starts before the gross course is complete (approx mid 1st year start).

Barry Gross is first year, first semester down to the pelvis. Second semester is Lower Extremity only. There is a second Lower course in second year, Spring semester.

NYCPM only dissects down to the pelvic region during gross anatomy. when we come back the following semester to do lower, the superior half of the body has been removed and we split into smaller groups of 2-3 where each group gets their own leg to dissect. we then dissect the lower extremity over the course of the entire semester.

I forgot to ask during my interview...can we access the lab 'after-hours'?