1st year student of B.A.M.S course(ayurveda) ur opinion plz

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vinumedstudent

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi i am vinayak currently studying in India and i am taking ayurveda and planning to take M.D after this i wanted to know if any1 knows abt the course and its scope around the world, this is a very ancient thing and there r hardly any practioners around and i have heard tht its becoming popular day by day but i want to know from u pple ASAP since i have only a few days i could take pre-allopathy course but i found this advantageous as this is only way u treat patients with no side effects and pple live longer of course there is a lot more to say but i want to know from u guys plz respond ASAP

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think that a lot of students on this forum are going to be familiar with the course of study that you're undertaking. This forum is primarily for students of US/Canadian undergraduate schools seeking to enter an US (in some cases Canadian) Allopathic program.

Are you planning to apply to school in the US? Are you looking for validation of your alternative course of study?

I'm not sure I get what you're asking exactly.

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks for replying, but i wanted to know the scope there for my higher studies since i am doing such a course in india being an american eventually i am going to live there, so r pple taking a such a course and wat abt its practice and abt the pple

thanks for replying, but i wanted to know the scope there for my higher studies since i am doing such a course in india being an american eventually i am going to live there, so r pple taking a such a course and wat abt its practice and abt the pple

Hi Vinayak!

Ayurveda is known here, but mostly amongst people who are into complementary and alternative (CAM) types of healing, i.e. not mainstream, allopathic medicine. CAM is gaining popularity in the United States, but ayurveda is not one of the most popular of the practices that fall under that umbrella. It definitely remains on the perimeter of medicine. I actually went to India to study it because it's not very common here.

I hope that answers your question! Best of luck!

The Wikipedia article on aryuveda, if anyone is interested in some background.

I had never heard of it until I read this thread.

Yeah, I think it's really unfortunate how few people know about it. It's one of the oldest- if not *the* oldest- systems of medicine and it is still very popular today in large parts of the world.

When I took a history of public health class at my undergrad- Berkeley, which has its own thriving school of public health- I got into a pretty heated discussion with my professor because he was teaching the course as if medicine began with the Greeks and that they were the first to incorporate the natural elements into healing. This is, of course, completely bogus. I couldn't believe that at a reputable university history was still being taught with a Euro-centric focus, as if all of modern civilization began in ancient Greece.
:boom::barf:

Such a shame.