2.0 in physics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Medic171

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got a 2.0 in PHYsics 1 this semester. Assuming I ace the rest of my science classes, do I need to retake it or rethink DO school? I also had a bad grade in chem 2 last summer, 2.5. My overall gpa is 3.4646 and science is 3.19, which i can raise a bit as I have physics 2 ochem 1&2, and labs left to take. Please tell me your input as to whether I am screwed. I am 25 y/o non-trad, and I also work full time as a paramedic. So, I plan to take out more loans, work less, do good on my mcats, amd not get less than a 3.5 in any other science classes. Please give me the harsh truth of your opinions.

Members don't see this ad.

I think you should be fine, don't worry about it too much. I got a C+ in ochemI and a C+ in genchem II, and have already interviewed at one DO school, and I'm hoping to hear back from some more soon. I think you have a good shot.

best of luck!

This type of question always blows my mind, and I mean no disrespect to you, Medic. I realize that you are early in your pre-med course and the only way you can learn these things is to ask, so its good that you do.

The notion of thinking twice about DO school because of 1 or 2 bad grades in some of the basic sciences is ludicrous. Medic, ADCOMS are looking at the WHOLE application picture. You have a lot of things going for you. First, you have good medical experience, second, your a non-trad. which DO schools like, and finally your GPA is fine. Do well on the MCAT, get some good recommendations, write a good essay and I would expect that you'll have no problem getting in somewhere.

I know a moderator on SDN who had something like a 1.65 undergrad GPA who then kicked-butt post grad and is now an MS-3.

Bottom line, don't worry about it.

Good luck

Members don't see this ad :)
Unfortunately med school admissions are somewhat subjective. I had a 3.26 GPA, 2.9 science and am now an MSI at KCOM. But other schools told me I didn't have a chance in hell of getting in unless I got a 4.0 in a grad degree. All you can do is try!

never get discourage, i got so many D's in my undergrad (chem, orgo, bio classes included), graduated with 2.25 then took a Master of BiomedicalScience program at Barry University and get 3.8, took MCAT 3 times 24 then 25 then 28. Applied med school for the first time (i'm 24) and got in (WesternU class of 2005). So just keep focus and good luck!