2.8 going to DO medical school?????????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mikejames

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So if you have a 2.8 overall GPA what are some DO schools that you should apply to that might accept you and give you a chance?

Members don't see this ad.

I have a 2.7 overall GPA however I have very good LORs, good ECs, and a 29 MCAT. I received 4 interviews and was accepted at 1 and waitlisted at another.

It is possible but difficult.If I could do it over, I would work on getting a higher GPA.

Members don't see this ad :)
So if you have a 2.8 overall GPA what are some DO schools that you should apply to that might accept you and give you a chance?

What is your science GPA? Is it along the same lines? If it is around the same or lower, see about taking the classes again...If it is above 3.0, I think that you would have a better shot.

Krisss17

GPA 2.75, Science 3.0, 30 MCAT. Was 4 for four with osteopathic and got into some allopathic. Granted I was a biochemist for three years for BigPharma. When your GPA is low you need a good MCAT and some other things to set you apart. Personally I don't think its possible going straight to med school from undergrad with those stats but i could be wrong.

If your coming straight from undergrad I think it may be tough. I had a 3.4gpa/3.3 sGPA and 24 MCAT [8V,7P,9B] and got accepted to 2 out of 5 schools that I applied. Be it that I was interviewed at both I was accepted at but I did have quite a few good EC's and experience.

This is my advice but if you get like a 30 MCAT [good breakdown] you'll probably have a shot.

Also, if anyone hasn't noticed, osteopathic medical schools are getting more competitive each cycle as more applicants apply with higher stats. But in the end nobody really knows why adcoms pick who they pick.

Good luck though!