Question about DO schools.... is a BCPM of 2.8 going to get me screened out?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sunrise92

Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

AACOMAS considers math to be non-science.

You can check the link in my signature to see the cutoffs for every DO school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does it make a difference that I retook all my bad grades and got As?

seems like I’d have to do an SMP otherwise

Does it make a difference that I retook all my bad grades and got As?

seems like I’d have to do an SMP otherwise

Give us a break down year to year.

Is there an upward trend?

I do not recommend a SMP to someone with a 3.0 sGPA without having taken the MCAT.

Give us a break down year to year.

Is there an upward trend?

I do not recommend a SMP to someone with a 3.0 sGPA without having taken the MCAT.

These are all my grades after that one bad semester (my sophomore year), earliest to latest, underlined grades are BCPM. Last semester I did get a C+ in Microbio and a math course.

(Also here are my full stats minus MCAT; hoping to schedule it for June 28th):

1. C
2. B-
3. A
4. A-
5. A-
6. B+
7. A-
8. A
9. A
10. A
11. A
12. A
13. A
14. A
15. A
16. A
17. A
18. B+
19. B+
20. A
21. A
22. A
23. B+
24. A
25. A
26. A
27. A
28. A
29. A
30. A
31. A
32. A
33. A
34. A
35. A
36. B+
37. A
38. A
39. A-
40. A
41. A
42. C+
43. A
44. A
45. C+
46. B+

Last edited:
You had such a strong slew of A’s so it saddens me to see it littered with a couple C’s toward the end. Luckily it's only a single science course and a single math course, but it still may remind whoever who reviews your application that the "old you" is still around and draw some pause. Have you addressed your health problems?

I can see you getting accepted to a DO school somewhere with a decent MCAT. Shoot for 505+ imo.

Reactions: 1 user
I agree. I also wish I stayed in school another year to do an informal post-bacc of just upper-level sciences while also studying for the MCAT. Instead, at the time I took a research position (which was a great learning experience but not what I needed, looking back).

During my bad semester (and before that too) I was severely anxious/depressed. Wouldn't go outside & was averse to large crowds (like lecture halls). I simply didn't go to my classes. I went to the labs because they were small numbers. Even still, I can't imagine what I was thinking back then. What I used to think was a major triggering psychological episode wouldn't faze me in the slightest today.

I'm better now. Getting those 2 Fs woke me up and I became more active afterwards. All my research stuff, TAing, basically anything good came after that semester.

You've done enough research, certainly overkill for DO, would focus on sGPA to improve your app.

Glad to hear you've a handle on the health issues.

These are all my grades after that one bad semester (my sophomore year), earliest to latest, underlined grades are BCPM. Last semester I did get a C+ in Microbio and a math course.

(Also here are my full stats minus MCAT; hoping to schedule it for June 28th):

1. C
2. B-
3. A
4. A-
5. A-
6. B+
7. A-
8. A
9. A
10. A
11. A
12. A
13. A
14. A
15. A
16. A
17. A
18. B+
19. B+
20. A
21. A
22. A
23. B+
24. A
25. A
26. A
27. A
28. A
29. A
30. A
31. A
32. A
33. A
34. A
35. A
36. B+
37. A
38. A
39. A-
40. A
41. A
42. C+
43. A
44. A
45. C+
46. B+
I agree with camoixu, you have very few BCPM grades as is, which means a semester or two of upper-level sciences could really boost your GPA significantly. Even if you do apply this upcoming cycle make sure you register to take classes fall and spring just in case you need to reapply.

As for SMP's, I had a 3.5 cum and 3.35 science and did one. I got my MCAT score back a month into the program (513). Would I have done the program had I known my MCAT score? Probably not. I got a few DO interviews before I even had my first-semester grades back. But I am an extremely risk-averse person and I'm happy with my decision because the SMP guarantees admission and gave me a strong foundation for medical school.

Last edited:
I agree with camoixu, you have very few BCPM grades as is, which means a semester or two of upper-level sciences could really boost your GPA significantly. Even if you do apply this upcoming cycle make sure you register to take classes fall and spring just in case you need to reapply.
The fact that cancellation of your June MCAT is possible corroborates why you should consider enrolling in additional science as well.

As for SMP's, I had a 3.5 cum and 3.35 science and did one. I got my MCAT score back a month into the program (513). Would I have done the program had I known my MCAT score? Probably not. I got a few DO interviews before I even had my first-semester grades back. But I am an extremely risk-averse person and I'm happy with my decision because the SMP guarantees admission and gave me a strong foundation for medical school.

If I take some courses during this Fall, can I update my application in the spring?

If I take some courses during this Fall, can I update my application in the spring?

Yup. You are eligible for "Academic Update" if you have at least one program verified by mid April 2021. For this year, updates were available within the following timeframes:
  • September 3, 2019 to October 10, 2019
  • December 12, 2019 to February 14, 2020
  • March 12, 2020 to April 10, 2020
You will receive an email when the Academic Update periods are open and available, too.

The issue will be if you can handle full-time upper-level courses while simultaneously working on your secondaries. Assuming you can take your MCAT in June, you'll get your score back in July, submit, and start getting secondaries as school starts. They are a massive time sink so make sure you coordinate everything well. Yes, an update in January with 15 credits of upper science would be a significant update to a school.