2.86 sGPA, 3.05cGPA after post bacc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mfa16

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any help with determining if I'll be ready to apply June 2019? Looking at mostly DO schools, some lower MDs. Plan B is to wait it out til 2020 (would need to retake MCAT as mine expires by then)
  • Graduated 2016, science major. 2.31 sGPA, 2.78 cGPA
  • MCAT is 508
  • DIY post bacc of 37 credits (in process) will hopefully give me a final of 2.86 sGPA and 3.05 cGPA.
Not sure if I should gun it for 2019 cycle or take classes another year to aim for 3.0 sGPA. I feel that my post bacc progress over 1-ish year has been significant. I'm not sure if many schools will screen me out by sGPA <3.0 as my cGPA does meet the 3.0.

In addition, my grades really start to plateau mathematically as I approach a 3.0 for science. It's gonna be a big investment to push past 3.0, but I'm debating whether that little difference is worth it.
  • ORM, CA resident
  • ECs include
    • 2 years f/t in clinical research at prestigious med center (hands-on patient care + admin)
    • 1 publication w/ 500hrs lab time
    • 200hrs interning/working in peds ER
    • 300hrs shadowing peds plastic surgery
    • 100hrs shadowing in primary care
    • 2yrs president of student org
    • 2 years working part-time as wet lab tech/assistant
    • Medical science minor through my college's med school (so some M1 exposure-- like cadaveric anatomy)
    • I run a profitable small business that I also do a lot of volunteer work through.
    • Also worth mentioning that my post bacc classes have mostly been M1 level taught by M1 profs.
Please share advice if you have any! I have not yet started on creating a list of potential schools to apply to, but will do so very methodically as I'm aware that my GPA is on the low end.

Members don't see this ad.

Do you have any non clinical volunteering? Service to the underserved/unserved in your community? You don’t need any more shadowing but you do need non clinical volunteering-at least 150 hours of service to those less fortunate than yourself.
I’m not sure about DO schools but a 2.86 sGPA is too low for any MD school( if that’s even what you end up with). In fact, so is your cGPA. The average for accepted MD students is 3.7. I agree that at this point, your GPA probably won’t budge. What is your sGPA for your DIY post bacc? At this point you have to prove to ADCOMS you are up to the rigors of med school. But in order to do that they have to see your application. You really need to get your sGPA above 3.0 and even higher. I hesitate to tell you to keep taking courses because upper level science classes are expensive and there is no guarantee you’ll ever get to 3.0 or to med school. Do you have the MSAR? Are there any MD schools where your GPAs are between the 10th and 90th percentile of students accepted?

I can’t recommend medical school with your current GPA, and am unsure if you’ll be able to handle the rigor. You need a year of classes with a 3.7-4.0 GPA. Then apply to low tier MD and DO schools. Why so much shadowing and lab time but not focusing on your grades. You can get into medical school without research, but not with that GPA.