2 contiguous years?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doowai

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there a national rule (AAFP ; RRC-FM, etc) that requires a family medicine resident to do his last 2 years (PGY 2 and PGY 3) contiguously in the same program?

Members don't see this ad.

I am not too concerned with board eligible. I just want state licensure.

is there a way to know which state boards would require IMG to be BE?

I think this is a mistake.

Increasingly, employers, malpractice insurance providers and insurance companies are requiring this for their physicians. We have yet not reached the situation in which everyone requires you to be BC but that day is coming (by all reports).

Secondly, most programs will not accept a resident into their training whom they cannot graduate as being BE.

I'm not aware of such a list. Usually state boards do not require Board Eligibility just that you have taken all 3 steps toward licensing and satisfied other moral, ethical, blah blah blah requirements.

Lemme add my small voice to the two heavy ones above. Board certification is a MUST!

Agree with WS. Board Certification is a must. Your employment options will be very limited without it. Many insurance companies now require you to be BC to be a PCP, or to get paid.

I am not sure how it is with all specialities, but for example OB/GYN cannot get BC until they have been out practicing a year. Do they not get paid by insurance during that year?

I am not sure how it is with all specialities, but for example OB/GYN cannot get BC until they have been out practicing a year. Do they not get paid by insurance during that year?

No because they will be "in process" having taken the written portion of their examination in June of their final year of residency. Insurance companies cannot make rules which are impossible to meet (ie, requiring you to be BC if you cannot be BC until you have been in practice for 1 year). In addition, many new practitioners join practices under a salary guarantee while they are getting on insurance plans (which can take up to a year), therefore, whether or not insurance pays is a moot point.

I am not familiar with all Board regulations, but you can be BC in surgery without this year requirement, Neurosurgery residents often get BC during training, and there is also no such requirement for FP and IM to be in practice for a year.

In addition to what Winged Scapula posted above, in that transition year between finishing fellowship and becoming BC the OB/GYN would be BE.

That's why so many jobs have "BC/BE" as a requirement.

You can check with the various state boards. Most of them have their requirements posted on the internet.

At least one state will grant licensure if you are licensed in another state and are Board certified. New Mexico requires 2 years of GME for licensure unless you have a.) been licensed in another state and b.) are board certified by an ABMS member board and c.) have practiced in the US for the preceding 3 years.

I would be very concerned about board eligibility in this day and age unless you are "going bare" in private practice. Even the traditional havens for GPs are vanishing. Unless you wish to run a cash based practice, which is possible still.