Going back to medicine after many years of no practice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

marwahesham

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a foreign medical school graduate currently in the US on F1 visa. I graduated from medical school in 2013 with very good grades. However, while in medical school, I also taught myself physics and was accepted a few years ago in a physics PhD program. Last year, I finished my masters in physics (finished courses and qual), but I still have to do the PhD thesis in order to earn the PhD degree. I am currently thinking of going back to medicine. I am open to both clinical and non-clinical options. What are my chances of doing a residency program or a non-clinical position in the US after so many years of no practice? Are there non-clinical career options that are open for foreign medical graduates that someone with my background have some chance of getting into?

Members don't see this ad.

I am a foreign medical school graduate currently in the US on F1 visa. I graduated from medical school in 2013 with very good grades. However, while in medical school, I also taught myself physics and was accepted a few years ago in a physics PhD program. Last year, I finished my masters in physics (finished courses and qual), but I still have to do the PhD thesis in order to earn the PhD degree. I am currently thinking of going back to medicine. I am open to both clinical and non-clinical options. What are my chances of doing a residency program or a non-clinical position in the US after so many years of no practice? Are there non-clinical career options that are open for foreign medical graduates that someone with my background have some chance of getting into?
If you are ABD, what is keeping you from finishing the dissertation?

Honestly given what you've posted here, I think your chances of getting a US clinical residency position are near zero. Your graduated in 2013 which is now 10 years ago. You have no clinical experience in your home country. Very few, if any, residency programs are going to consider you after this long of a break. Your physics PhD experience isn't relevant to clinical medicine. If you wanted to try, you'd need to complete the USMLE exams first and do really well on them to show that you still have the knowledge you will need. Even with that, I think success would be unlikely. And you'll need a visa.

Non clinical careers - depends on what your skills are and what you can do. Research is an option -- but honestly you'd be better off finishing your PhD and then getting a research job in that field I would think.

Reactions: 1 user