MD & DO 2 F on my transcript, easy classes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheSuperColider

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Got 2 F's, one in music history and the other in intro to English.
My BCPM is 3.8 and cGPA is 3.5 (3.7 cGPA after grade replacement, which doesn't count)
My transcript shows a clear upward trend, where I literally got all A's in every science (except orgo2 which was a B+) my junior and senior years
I have 2 D's (in accounting and intro to history) and 2 F's (music history and english) with 6 C's (classes like 1 credit labs, theatre, french, and pre-calc)
What kind of MCAT would I need to be competitive for med schools in my state?
Does the 2 F's, 6 C's and 2 D's ruin my chances at med school overall, or is there still hope?

Members don't see this ad.

With MD it definitely hurts you quite a bit but your gpas are pretty decent, and I would say as high as you can go for mcat.
What State are you in?
Your mcat score largely depends on your application pool

With MD it definitely hurts you quite a bit but your gpas are pretty decent, and I would say as high as you can go for mcat.
What State are you in?

New York. I want to shoot for upstate/downstate.

Members don't see this ad :)
What State are you in?

If it matters, I also retook the two Fs and got As

All of those classes will be averaged into your GPA. An Mcat of at least 508 would be ok. I am curious as to how your GPA is a 3.5 with several low grades.

Reactions: 1 user
All of those classes will be averaged into your GPA. An Mcat of at least 508 would be ok. I am curious as to how your GPA is a 3.5 with several low grades.

My science classes brought me up. I have As in classes like biochem, orgo, physio ect. Along with other elective bio classes as I am a bio major. Also I minored in philosophy and chemistry so I got As in those classes, which helped out my cGPA

So you think I'll be fine as long as I do well on my MCAT?

schools only care about the numbers. A 3.8 sGPA and a 3.5 cGPA will be enought to get you barring a 508+ mcat. You will pass the auto-screens that schools have and that is what is important. After that, everything is on you...

Reactions: 1 user
im in a similar situation.
for my final semester at community college (spring 2017), i decided to take "fun classes" because i wanted to maintain my job as a tutor.
as the semester progressed, however, i became lazy and ended up failing all 3 of the "fun classes," which included conversational spanish, beginning guitar, and beginner keyboarding (very ironic for a tutor to have done this).
at the time, i didn't care so much because i am a re-applicant for AACOMAS and had already submitted my transcripts from the previous year, but i got an e-mail today from AACOMAS requesting for an updated transcript.
now i am dreadfully concerned about my application which will feature the 3 F's from my spring 2017 semester.

how do you think this will impact my chances of getting in?

of note, currently i am enrolled in a post-bacc program at a DO school, and I am doing very well academically, which should indicate that I can survive the first year of med school.

im in a similar situation.
for my final semester at community college (spring 2017), i decided to take "fun classes" because i wanted to maintain my job as a tutor.
as the semester progressed, however, i became lazy and ended up failing all 3 of the "fun classes," which included conversational spanish, beginning guitar, and beginner keyboarding (very ironic for a tutor to have done this).
at the time, i didn't care so much because i am a re-applicant for AACOMAS and had already submitted my transcripts from the previous year, but i got an e-mail today from AACOMAS requesting for an updated transcript.
now i am dreadfully concerned about my application which will feature the 3 F's from my spring 2017 semester.

how do you think this will impact my chances of getting in?

of note, currently i am enrolled in a post-bacc program at a DO school, and I am doing very well academically, which should indicate that I can survive the first year of med school.
Come up with an excuse like you got sick during a critical final exam period and wasnt given a concession or something along those lines

Something sounds off.

2 D's (1.0), 2 F's (0.0), 6 C's (2.0). Assuming 4 credits/class: 1.4 GPA for 40 credits. If my math is correct, you would've had to have gotten a perfect 4.0 in 149 additional credits in order to push your cGPA up to a 3.45.

Are you sure your cGPA and sGPA calculations are correct, OP?

If you got them early on in college, I wouldn't worry too much since your overall GPAs are pretty good.

Something sounds off.

2 D's (1.0), 2 F's (0.0), 6 C's (2.0). Assuming 4 credits/class: 1.4 GPA for 40 credits. If my math is correct, you would've had to have gotten a perfect 4.0 in 149 additional credits in order to push your cGPA up to a 3.45.

Are you sure your cGPA and sGPA calculations are correct, OP?

Most of my C's are actually C+'s as well as 1 credit labs. the 2 F's are 3 credit classes and so are my D's. I do have one 4 credit C+ in a psych class which hurts, so I am considering retaking it.
Here is a rough breakdown of how my undergrad went
Freshman year: 1.6 cGPA aprox 30 credits
Sophmore year: 3.45 GPA approx 35 credits
Jr. year: 3.55 GPA approx 35 credits
Senior: 3.92 gpa approx 100 credits (spent 2 years as a senior, no post bacc).

I am a bio major and have 3 minors in biochemistry, chemistry and philosophy

I have a large amount of credits because I did not start off as pre-med and did bad in classes I had no interest in, which is why I have those grades my first semester/year. By the time I decided to go pre-med, which was around the middle of my sophomore year, I decided to switch to a biology major. I was forced to spend 4 semesters as a senior (20 credits/semester) because of a change of major, which was necessary anyway because I had to bring up my GPA with as many A's as possible.
I might be off by +/- 0.05, but I still have 1 semester left and will do more accurate calculations after it is over. Its a clear upward trend with A's in all science classes which is what I hope will stand out. The F's and D's were from my 1st semester in college. I am not using grade replacement in my calculations. I am also planning to take my MCAT this summer and have already begun studying for it.

Most of my C's are actually C+'s as well as 1 credit labs. the 2 F's are 3 credit classes and so are my D's. I do have one 4 credit C+ in a psych class which hurts, so I am considering retaking it.
Here is a rough breakdown of how my undergrad went
Freshman year: 1.6 cGPA aprox 30 credits
Sophmore year: 3.45 GPA approx 35 credits
Jr. year: 3.55 GPA approx 35 credits
Senior: 3.92 gpa approx 100 credits (spent 2 years as a senior, no post bacc).

I am a bio major and have 3 minors in biochemistry, chemistry and philosophy

I have a large amount of credits because I did not start off as pre-med and did bad in classes I had no interest in, which is why I have those grades my first semester/year. By the time I decided to go pre-med, which was around the middle of my sophomore year, I decided to switch to a biology major. I was forced to spend 4 semesters as a senior (20 credits/semester) because of a change of major, which was necessary anyway because I had to bring up my GPA with as many A's as possible.
I might be off by +/- 0.05, but I still have 1 semester left and will do more accurate calculations after it is over. Its a clear upward trend with A's in all science classes which is what I hope will stand out. The F's and D's were from my 1st semester in college. I am not using grade replacement in my calculations. I am also planning to take my MCAT this summer and have already begun studying for it.

That makes sense. I wasn't anticipating such a large number of credits.

Anyway, you have a massive upward trend. If you want a good shot at the SUNYs, you should probably aim for at least a balanced 510+ on the MCAT.

Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users