2 Jobs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gabem480

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If your an ER doc lets say you work 30hrs per week at one place can you put in an extra maybe 20 to 30 somewhere else?

Members don't see this ad.

That would be a lot. 40 hours/week in the ER is not like 40 hours/week in an office, at least not where I work. I bust my tail at work seeing lots of patients, dealing with high-stress situations (intubating, cardiac arrests, central lines, etc. - high acuity at my primary site), and worst of all, dealing with disgruntled patients who are tired of their wait and who will be getting Press-Ganey surveys.

Even at 30 hours/week, you can still easily make $200k plus per year (that's taking into account 4 weeks of vacation/year).

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with southerndoc in pretty much all markets except San Francisco. I know a lot of docs who actually work 2 gigs in that market.

I agree with southerndoc in pretty much all markets except San Francisco. I know a lot of docs who actually work 2 gigs in that market.

Most of the EM docs in Los Angeles I know also work 2 gigs. It's not because of the hours, it's because a decent home costs $800,000 there, and most of them need the 2 jobs to cover the mortgage and ex-wives.

I work 2 jobs as well. I work several shifts a month in Texas to augment my income.

Why should we get paid less in desirable locations to live? Does this happen in other parts of the workforce? Does a lawyer in kentucky get paid more than a NYC lawyer. I think not!! So push back people!! Demand higher pay!! If they can afford to pay $200/ hour in Texas why shouldn't "they" be able to afford to pay the same if not higher in an area like SanFran.

If they can afford to pay $200/ hour in Texas why shouldn't "they" be able to afford to pay the same if not higher in an area like SanFran.

Supply & Demand.

Why should we get paid less in desirable locations to live? Does this happen in other parts of the workforce? Does a lawyer in kentucky get paid more than a NYC lawyer. I think not!! So push back people!! Demand higher pay!! If they can afford to pay $200/ hour in Texas why shouldn't "they" be able to afford to pay the same if not higher in an area like SanFran.

Clearly missed Econ 101...

Even at 30 hours/week, you can still easily make $200k plus per year (that's taking into account 4 weeks of vacation/year).
This statement makes me smile :)

Is this pretty much the case everywhere? I mean, could you really only work 30 hours per week if you wanted to? (Not that I would, I would be okay with 40-50 hours honestly).

Supply & Demand.

Exactly. In places like San Diego, and Austin people are fighting to get a job, and you have to know someone to get a full time position. Hence the groups don't have to pay out as much money to recruit someone.

On the other end is Maine. On the basis of the recruiter e-mails I don't think they have a single ER doc willing to take a job there....