2 Lane Drive-Thru

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rxboy1996

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
My Walgreens has a 2 lane drive thru. Do you think it actually speeds up the drive thru or just makes it more stressful?

I mean 98% of the time it's just one person working both lanes. Yeah, it may save you a few seconds helping the next lane while the car pulls up in the other lane. There's nothing more annoying than helping Lane 1 and lane 2 is hitting the call button.

Sigh.

Members don't see this ad.

My Walgreens has a 2 lane drive thru. Do you think it actually speeds up the drive thru or just makes it more stressful?

I mean 98% of the time it's just one person working both lanes. Yeah, it may save you a few seconds helping the next lane while the car pulls up in the other lane. There's nothing more annoying than helping Lane 1 and lane 2 is hitting the call button.

Sigh.
Unless you have two people dedicated to working at the drive thru and doing nothing else, it is less efficient. Every store I've worked at with two drive thru's has informed everyone in lane 2 that the lane was "broken" 99% of the time.

Reactions: 1 user
Unless you have two people dedicated to working at the drive thru and doing nothing else, it is less efficient. Every store I've worked at with two drive thru's has informed everyone in lane 2 that the lane was "broken" 99% of the time.

Our lane 2 has been broken for at least 7 years, two lanes are really stupid unless you have the facilities and tech hours to staff each of them.

Members don't see this ad :)
Lane 2 is just easy drop offs. I like having the second lane to speed things up.

I once worked at a store that thought lane 2 was broke. We assumed the tube got stuck in the middle. A service tech came out and realized the simple fix was the fact that out tube was simply missing. He gave us a new one and it works fine.

I like the people that get indignant when they find out you can tube them their bowel prep and that they will have to wait in line with the other cars. Or *gasp* actually come inside.

Most cvs stores have a drive through window that opens like at fast food but there are some that have a drawer system where you slide things through the drawer (usually stores acquired). I had a mother demand we pass through 300 diapers for her children (medicaid pays for diapers) through the drawer one by one (25 diapers in a pack).

When I drove around the Las Vegas area, all the CVS locations with drive thrus didn't even have any signage for lane 2, whereas my store still maintained the "full service" signage for lane 2 despite me insisting that it be replaced with "drop off only." How can you have a full-service lane 2 if you don't even have a working cash register and POS terminal and drive thru lane 1 is tied up non-stop during peak hours? Dumb as ****

Following in the footsteps of market leader McDonalds.

Somebody at corporate was sitting at a dual lane drive thru one day and thought "Hey, this is a great idea and we can do it at XXX". Most banks have a heck of a lot more staff than a normal pharmacy and that is where the fallacy began. Plus money only comes in one size so you don't have to worry about jamming the tube. If you have adequate staff then I agree with it but if not your customer service takes a hit. But hey corporate people are geniuses right?

Second lanes tend to suffer issues which require them to be closed regularly.

someday walmart will punch a hole through the wall like kroger does, and call it walk-thru. ^__^ ,