2 Qs: Study during your intern year? How much Basic Cancer Science Do We Need?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RadOncMegatron

Blasting Away Cancer!
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
1. Do you recommend studying rad onc in your off time your intern year or to just enjoy the precious free time you had? I'm betting that I probably wouldn't retain too much anyway, besides I do look up the XRT tx for any cancer patient I come by.

2. How much basic science do we need to know about cancer?

Members don't see this ad.

I would just focus on being a good intern. It's tempting to put the cart before the horse so to speak, but just try to be interested and enthusiastic about what you are doing now, and I think that will translate into being a good radonc resident later. Focus on learning the in's and out's of how the hospital works, taking care of patients, etc. There is a reason we have the internship prior to radonc..just soak that up for now. You'll be immersed in the specialty plenty later on. Just my advice.

listen to the oncology CDs of the mksap 15 audio companion. trust me. what other study material will simultaneously help you with internship, step 3 and radonc?

BONUS: get through the entire (not just onc) audio collection and watch your life as a floor/ICU intern become infinitely easier. ~80 CDs. just do it while commuting or at the gym, a little everyday. you'll be learning stuff for step 3 without even knowing it too!

your IM office should have a set you can borrow. head toward the light!

http://www.cmeonly.com/ME2/Audience...B1&tier=3&id=F9981B3BE0E142EA8769F799308B90B7

Last edited: