2 questions about my current letter of recommendation situation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AcceptableKale

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone.

I have 3 letters that I would consider to be “very strong.” These are a non-science letter, a physician letter, and my advisor/science faculty letter at my post-bac (still waiting on this last letter). I have built great relationships with these individuals and am confident that they have endorsed me at the highest possible level.

I also have 2 other science letters from my post-bac that I would consider to be “strong.” I’ve known each of these science faculty members for a semester as I took their classes at the post-bac, and am also confident that they have endorsed me well.

Question 1:

For the schools that require 3 letters MAXIMUM, I am definitely submitting the 3 letters that I mentioned above to be “very strong.” I’m just concerned because I’ve been following up regularly with my last letter writer who is my advisor/science faculty, but he still hasn’t submitted my letter yet. Is it okay for me to be waiting on him or will this delay hurt my application?

Question 2:

For the schools that require a MINIMUM of 3 letters, I’m wondering if it is okay for me to only submit my 3 “very strong” letters. I’m personally leaning towards doing this just because I know that these 3 letters writers have endorsed me extremely highly. Will this hurt me in any way? Or should I send out my full set of 5 letters?

Many thanks.

@Goro @gonnif

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Question 1:

For the schools that require 3 letters MAXIMUM, I am definitely submitting the 3 letters that I mentioned above to be “very strong.” I’m just concerned because I’ve been following up regularly with my last letter writer who is my advisor/science faculty, but he still hasn’t submitted my letter yet. Is it okay for me to be waiting on him or will this delay hurt my application?

Most schools won't review your secondary until you've met the letter requirements, so you won't be able to get II's until you send that letter (if the school requires it).

Question 2:

For the schools that require a MINIMUM of 3 letters, I’m wondering if it is okay for me to only submit my 3 “very strong” letters. I’m personally leaning towards doing this just because I know that these 3 letters writers have endorsed me extremely highly. Will this hurt me in any way? Or should I send out my full set of 5 letters?

As long as you meet their requirements, you should be fine.

Most school's from what I've seen do not send Interview Invites until all your letters are in. So if you have three actual written letters already, I would send those in ASAP.....unless your last letter writer literally tells you " Hey WeakThought, I will send you the letter by Thursday 9/17".

Have you even submitted your app yet? You can always change your letter evaluators during the processing time.