2 Questions: one for retaking other for applicationi & interview process

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nasem

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I been thinking about this for the past couple weeks and I can’t seem to find an answer…

About retaking pre-reqs…. You see I had taken Engineering level physics I and II (calculus base) around 2001-2002 (when I did my undergrad) and I won’t be applying until next year (2009 cycle), I am guessing since I’ll be applying to 15-18 schools that most of them will have the 5 year pre-req rule in place, in which I am totally cool with. However, right now I will be planning on Taking physics I and II again, BUT this time around, I might take the non-calculus base physics, would this be considered a “retake”?

2nd question I have is about the application & interview process…. I understand that 90% of the interviews take place between September till December period… but what if your taking a heavy load of classes during this period…. You might end up skipping a lot of class time to be going to interview…. I figured someone applies to 15-18 schools, they should have at least 7-8 interviews MINIMUM…. How do you folks deal with this issue ?

Members don't see this ad.

The 5 year rule seems to be the exception, not the standard for most schools. Just do a little research before wasting money sending them application fees. Taking non-calc would not count as re-taking (at least at my school it doesn't), but would still meet the physics requirement.

Interviewing and school are tough, but it isn't that bad. I had 19 credit hours and went to four interviews. Three of these interviews fell on test days. Luckily my professors were very accomodating and either let me take the test early, or after the interview.

However, I have heard horror stories about some profs, and how they don't count interviewing as an "excused" absence. Just let all your profs know ahead of time what is going on.

Most schools also let you choose between 3-4 days to interview as well so you can hopefully only miss a few lectures.

If you are expecting to get 7-8 interviews, I assume your stats are good, I would apply to fewer schools (~10) - but that is just me, others will disagree.

Good luck in the future.

5 year rule only applys to a few schools
going to more than 5 interviews and maintaining grades is difficult, but 5 hours in the plane helps you stay caught up. You can still study on the road.

Members don't see this ad :)
The 5 year rule seems to be the exception, not the standard for most schools. Just do a little research before wasting money sending them application fees. Taking non-calc would not count as re-taking (at least at my school it doesn't), but would still meet the physics requirement.

Interviewing and school are tough, but it isn't that bad. I had 19 credit hours and went to four interviews. Three of these interviews fell on test days. Luckily my professors were very accomodating and either let me take the test early, or after the interview.

However, I have heard horror stories about some profs, and how they don't count interviewing as an "excused" absence. Just let all your profs know ahead of time what is going on.

Most schools also let you choose between 3-4 days to interview as well so you can hopefully only miss a few lectures.

If you are expecting to get 7-8 interviews, I assume your stats are good, I would apply to fewer schools (~10) - but that is just me, others will disagree.

Good luck in the future.

thanks for your responce guys and to be honest, My undergrad stats aren't good at all, but my post-bacc work is a different story...... which is why I am applying to so many schools becuase I have a hole in my application (3.01 Undergrad GPA :( )

15-18 schools is $60 per secondary application (approx), about $800 for AADSAS, approx $200 for DAT scores to get sent to each school as well as registration. Then you have interviews (plane ticket, rental car, hotel room) for each school you get invited to and actually attend. Start saving your beer cans now-you're going to need the money.

15-18 schools is $60 per secondary application (approx), about $800 for AADSAS, approx $200 for DAT scores to get sent to each school as well as registration. Then you have interviews (plane ticket, rental car, hotel room) for each school you get invited to and actually attend. Start saving your beer cans now-you're going to need the money.

I thought the first 5 schools you sent the DAT scores to are free of charge and after that, its like $75 per school....

I thought the first 5 schools you sent the DAT scores to are free of charge and after that, its like $75 per school....

I can't read the pdf file right now cause it won't open...but the first five schools are included in the cost to take the DAT. Every additional school after that first five is around $15 or so.

I can't read the pdf file right now cause it won't open...but the first five schools are included in the cost to take the DAT. Every additional school after that first five is around $15 or so.

i just registered...its $25 for an extra school past the first 5.

Me--->:beat: <---reapply2007

Just kidding :)