2 questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RavnShield

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Au contraire, my tour guide at Michigan claimed he went to Wayne State for undergrad. Of course, he may have been lying.

just to quickly answer your question about the august mcat.
yeah there are some schools that don't penalize you for taking it, but to find out which ones those are, just simply look for the schools that are not rolling admissions.

that's not usually listed in the msar, but you can find it if you get the us news listing online ... or actually, i also think princeton review has that info it at www.review.com

if you want to go to michigan though, DEFINITELY take the april mcat b/c they are rolling and timing is everything.
I think most schools are still rolling, so although there are a few schools where it won't hurt to take the august mcat, for most other schools, timing can be an issue.

Members don't see this ad :)
i applied to many non-rolling schools b/c i thought i wouldn't be at a disadvantage for taking the august mcat. i'm not sure that's true, though, as it appears that no august mcaters on sdn have received invites at harvard or penn. hmm... or maybe they're just not posting on the august mcaters list your interviews thread.

Originally posted by RavnShield

2) I heard that some schools make the app process so that aug mcat takers are not at a disadvantage anymore. True?

This is true. However, do you want to minimize your chances at getting into medical school? Some schools are very accommodating to aug mcaters while others still aren't. Even if you are a stellar applicant the whole process is a crapshoot. It sometimes makes no sense why one person gets an interview somewhere while another doesn't. Therefore the application game is somewhat similar to a game of chance in some regards(not all as we all know there are many factors involved). However, one way to maximize your chances at admission is to apply to many medical schools. Taking the aug mcat will decrease the number of medical schools you can apply to and still have a really good chance. If possible do not take the aug mcat and apply early. The only reason I took the aug mcat is because i am a reapplicant. But if you have the option not to do so then don't take the aug mcat so you can apply early.