2 types of calc classes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Judson

Southbound
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
At my university, there are two types of calculus classes offered. I understand that calc is not a requirement for many med schools, however, I want to prove that I can do well in math (I got C+ and B in Algebra I&II freshman year and an A- in Trig. junior year). I'm not sure which of the two calc classes to take. Here are my options (w/ descriptions):

Option A - Functions, graphs, derivatives, integrals, techniques of differentiation and integration, exponentials, improper integrals, applications.

Option B - Functions, limits; analytic geometry; derivatives, differentials, applications; integrals, applications.

Legend has it Option B is the harder course. Will it make a difference if I take the easier one? Rate my professor also gives fantastic reviews about the instructor who teaches Option A.

Members don't see this ad.

In for answers on this as well. Is standard calc looked down upon vs. engineering level calc?

Reactions: 1 user
No one will be able to give you a clear answer only based on description of the course. It's better to ask people who go to your school.

In for answers on this as well. Is standard calc looked down upon vs. engineering level calc?

I doubt it. I took Engineering level calc only because it allowed me to move on to higher level math classes, but my friends who took standard calc got into med school just fine.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Schools get thousands of applications from hundreds of different undergrads. I'm sure you don't believe that they (admissions) care enough to look up if you took the harder calc series at your specific school... Do something more meaningful for your application with your extra time.

Fill the requirements, do well in them, and go above and beyond on the rest of your application.

Reactions: 1 users
Med schools won't care. I've taken Calc 1-4 + Partial DFQs, Linear Alg, and I'm getting rejected left and right. :p

Reactions: 1 user
I know a lot of people mess up freshman year- but if you got a C+ in Algebra I (a class many people took in middle school) than don't tempt fate with your poor math skills. Either take the easy one or neither. Seriously.

I know a lot of people mess up freshman year- but if you got a C+ in Algebra I (a class many people took in middle school) than don't tempt fate with your poor math skills. Either take the easy one or neither. Seriously.
for some of us it's a major requirement sooo

Med schools won't care. I've taken Calc 1-4 + Partial DFQs, Linear Alg, and I'm getting rejected left and right. :p

What in the hell is Calc 4? At my school we have Calc I which covers trig, limits, differentiation and basic integrals. Calc II which covers integrals more in depth, improper integrals and series. And Calc III which goes further in depth and covers Calculus with three variables. Also, why would you think they would care whether or not you took that much math, when you're taking care of a patient you aren't going to be solving some complex differential equation to help them.

This^^

What in the hell is Calc 4? At my school we have Calc I which covers trig, limits, differentiation and basic integrals. Calc II which covers integrals more in depth, improper integrals and series. And Calc III which goes further in depth and covers Calculus with three variables. Also, why would you think they would care whether or not you took that much math, when you're taking care of a patient you aren't going to be solving some complex differential equation to help them.

This^^

I never said I'd think adcoms would care. Was simply making a point to OP that taking math courses doesn't impress adcoms. As for me...I didn't take math courses to impress medical schools... I'm a Physics Major bruhh. And our school refers to Calc 4 as differential equations since it is the next calc based course engineer/math/phys students take after multivariable(Calc 3).

Schools get thousands of applications from hundreds of different undergrads. I'm sure you don't believe that they (admissions) care enough to look up if you took the harder calc series at your specific school... Do something more meaningful for your application with your extra time.

Fill the requirements, do well in them, and go above and beyond on the rest of your application.

Great insight. Thank you!