2 W’s on Transcript Course Load

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hello, all!

I’ve just been kind of concerned about my academic record. I have 2 W’s on my transcript (one from Calculus II which I retook the following semester and received an A in, and the other one was in a business class I dropped due to a change in minor). I still have a 3.8-3.9 GPA and I got a 21 on the DAT. I’ve taken a light course load freshman year (11-13 credits per semester), but for the tail end of sophomore year I’ve been taking 16-17 credits and doing really well. I’m currently on track to graduate a semester early.

Is my “weak” performance freshman/sophomore year (not many credits and 2 W’s) going to hurt my admissions chances?

Thank you guys!!!

Members don't see this ad.

I’ve been taking 12-13 credits each semester and no one has questioned whether I have a light load. You retook one of the Ws so you’re fine and the other one is understandable

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
nah you're good, I'm in the exact same situation and have had interviews.
if you're a non-science major, then make sure to have a semester where you have 3 or more science classes to show you can handle the rigor. might not be needed, but that's what i did

Reactions: 1 user
One or two W's isn't going to be the end all be all. I would probably still be prepared to explain what happened in case an interviewer asks. But your academic record and DAT is not going to be a barrier to you getting interviews.

Reactions: 1 users
Hello, all!

I’ve just been kind of concerned about my academic record. I have 2 W’s on my transcript (one from Calculus II which I retook the following semester and received an A in, and the other one was in a business class I dropped due to a change in minor). I still have a 3.8-3.9 GPA and I got a 21 on the DAT. I’ve taken a light course load freshman year (11-13 credits per semester), but for the tail end of sophomore year I’ve been taking 16-17 credits and doing really well. I’m currently on track to graduate a semester early.

Is my “weak” performance freshman/sophomore year (not many credits and 2 W’s) going to hurt my admissions chances?

Thank you guys!!!

Thank you for the feedback guys!!

I just had some follow-up questions:

1. Do adcoms really look that closely at your transcripts, or do they kinda just skim through it to check for major red flags (i.e. 5+ W’s, failed courses, etc.) and focus more on your overall GPA?

2. Also, I’ve heard that GPA and DAT are preliminary, and there is more emphasis on the ECs/essays/LORs during the evaluation process. I know admissions are holistic and everything is accounted for, but it seems like schools look more at you as a person?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for the feedback guys!!

I just had some follow-up questions:

1. Do adcoms really look that closely at your transcripts, or do they kinda just skim through it to check for major red flags (i.e. 5+ W’s, failed courses, etc.) and focus more on your overall GPA?

2. Also, I’ve heard that GPA and DAT are preliminary, and there is more emphasis on the ECs/essays/LORs during the evaluation process. I know admissions are holistic and everything is accounted for, but it seems like schools look more at you as a person?
I'm no longer dental, but I just had 7 interviews for grad school and not a single admissions committee asked about the 11 W's I have on my transcript. I had to explain them away in supplementals prior to being offered an interview, but they never came up in interviews. I think withdrawals are overrated. A withdrawal is always better than a C or worse.

Reactions: 1 user