2 weeks premature

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

treasurefull2

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was doing a practice question for Step 2 and the question stated that the baby was born "2 weeks premature".

I'm just a bit confused. Does that mean that the baby was born at 35 weeks gestation or at 38 weeks gestation or 2 weeks before the due date?

This should be obvious, I know, but I'm not sure why it's confusing me...

Members don't see this ad.

before 37 weeks is considered preterm, and anything past that is considered term. Plus, you normally dont say the baby was born 2 weeks early to refer to a 38 weeker, so I would assume that the question is referring to a 35 week baby. Some of those questions can be confusing though. I would think that the answer explanations would provide more insight into this matter.

Good luck with you exam

"2 weeks premature" in layman's term would mean 2 weeks before the due date. That's the way I would have interpreted it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Except that would be a 38 weeker and that's not premature

I'm pretty sure BabyCatcher knew this, and I agree that they probably meant it like 2 weeks early/premature (38 weeks). No one ever says 2 weeks premature to refer to a 35 weeker.

I'm pretty sure BabyCatcher knew this, and I agree that they probably meant it like 2 weeks early/premature (38 weeks). No one ever says 2 weeks premature to refer to a 35 weeker.

Exactly, and the correct term is preterm.

What is the whole context of the question? Its either poorly written or an attempt to trick you with the phrase "2 weeks premature" rather than giving the exact gestational age. I do agree, that its likely 38 weeks; however, in some settings I've seen them say the baby was born 2 weeks premature and ask if the mother should have received glucocorticoids for neonatal lung maturity.

Good luck on the exam!

I don't really remember the exact context of the question. It was actually from a half-length practice exam, so I can't go back to the question...

37 is term.... do not confuse it with the 40w edd

I am not in med school yet but I just had a baby and a baby that is two weeks premature is born at 35 weeks. I am 100% on this one. I had a complicated pregnancy so I'm pretty informed! Hope this helps!

I do agree, that its likely 38 weeks; however, in some settings I've seen them say the baby was born 2 weeks premature and ask if the mother should have received glucocorticoids for neonatal lung maturity.
Well, they can still ask if a 38 weeker should get steroids or not if they want to see whether people know the indications - anyway, I also do assume the "question in question" was just poorly written and they're talking about 2 weeks before the due date.

Well, they can still ask if a 38 weeker should get steroids or not if they want to see whether people know the indications - anyway, I also do assume the "question in question" was just poorly written and they're talking about 2 weeks before the due date.

Holy cow, can we please close this thread. This is being run into the freakin' ground. Everyone is PLENTY clear on the issue. Thank you everyone for your input.