2 W’s affecting admission chances for T 50’s and T 20’s?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anon1234500

Reaction score
Hi!
I am a junior premed majoring in Public Health and minoring in Chemistry (SEC School)

I currently have a 3.98 GPA and have finished all my premed prerequisites, making As in all prerequisites with the exception of a B+ in gen chem 1.

I am currently in research (grant proposal submitted!) volunteering (projected 500 hours when I apply) clinical volunteering (projected 400 when I apply, taking a gap year so likely 2,000 total), studying for my MCAT, involved in student government, and have started my own writing therapy group at a local hospital and will likely expand to two other major state hospitals within the next year.

I am also currently enrolled in analytical chemistry, a requirement for my minor. I am struggling in this class (at a mid C) as I am unable to dedicate the time for it to properly study due to my other responsibilities, along with mental health issues, and familial health issues. I also have utilized office hours and spoken with the professor. I am confident that if I withdrew and retook the class my senior year when I have a much lighter schedule, I would be successful. The caveat is that lecture is bound to lab so if I drop one, I drop both. I am doing well in lab so having to drop it is annoying.

I am worried that MD admissions would look down upon 2Ws (these would be my only Ws)on my transcript. I am an NC resident and am looking at schools such as: UNC, MUSC, USC Columbia, Emory, Miami, Tulane (Miami and tulane are top choices), Augusta and UVA. I am concerned 2 Ws would adversely affect my chances of getting into medical school.

Thoughts/advice greatly appreciated <3

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi!
I am a junior premed majoring in Public Health and minoring in Chemistry (SEC School)

I currently have a 3.98 GPA and have finished all my premed prerequisites, making As in all prerequisites with the exception of a B+ in gen chem 1.

I am currently in research (grant proposal submitted!) volunteering (projected 500 hours when I apply) clinical volunteering (projected 400 when I apply, taking a gap year so likely 2,000 total), studying for my MCAT, involved in student government, and have started my own writing therapy group at a local hospital and will likely expand to two other major state hospitals within the next year.

I am also currently enrolled in analytical chemistry, a requirement for my minor. I am struggling in this class (at a mid C) as I am unable to dedicate the time for it to properly study due to my other responsibilities, along with mental health issues, and familial health issues. I also have utilized office hours and spoken with the professor. I am confident that if I withdrew and retook the class my senior year when I have a much lighter schedule, I would be successful. The caveat is that lecture is bound to lab so if I drop one, I drop both. I am doing well in lab so having to drop it is annoying.

I am worried that MD admissions would look down upon 2Ws (these would be my only Ws)on my transcript. I am an NC resident and am looking at schools such as: UNC, MUSC, USC Columbia, Emory, Miami, Tulane (Miami and tulane are top choices), Augusta and UVA. I am concerned 2 Ws would adversely affect my chances of getting into medical school.

I had seven and will be attending a T20.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Withdrawing from a class that you later re-take and do well? That will not affect your chances.

Reactions: 1 user
I would say that taking a W when you have a 3.98 does look like GPA protection and perfectionism and that is not attractive. I'd rather see someone with a single C and than a W followed by an A. Couldn't you be doing something more useful with your time next semester?

I totally understand, I wouldn’t mind taking a bad grade it’s just this class is also affecting my ability to do well in other classes/my other commitments because I’m mentally and physically stretched so thin :(

You'll be fine, esp for your top choices. Med schools don't like a pattern of Ws, but 1 or 2 isn't typically a big deal (I had a W, got into several T20s). Many schools offer a chance to explain academic issues on their secondary, so you could use it for that if you want. But you have a 3.98, so you're probably better off just not saying anything about it.

They most likely won't care. If they ask in your interviews, just be honest and say you and your family were having health issues and it made it difficult for you to do the class in addition to everything else you were doing. Good luck!

Hi!

No doubt you will be asked about it or have to explain it somewhere. Giving “I was too busy with other stuff” as a response will not cut it.

My kid had one W (not required course). No Med school asked about it! Didn’t impact admissions or scholarships. May be they saw the course title 😃

Reactions: 1 users
I had 2 W & none of my schools ever asked me about it. I sometimes volunteered it myself in interviews when asked about a time that I struggled.

Oh also, sometimes you can negotiate with your school’s registrar to only drop the lecture and stay in lab. I’ve known several people that were able to stay in the lab tied to a lecture course (in which the lecture was mandatory) that were able to maintain their seat in the lab despite dropping the lecture because the drop was so late in the course.

No doubt you will be asked about it or have to explain it somewhere. Giving “I was too busy with other stuff” as a response will not cut it.
I got a W, maybe 2 (can't remember anymore) and got 14 interviews, went to 10, and got accepted at all 10 schools. Not a single interviewer asked me about the W(s). I think there is doubt they'll be asked about it, esp with a 3.98 lol