2-Year HPSP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OmahaMX80

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I was a little surprised the other day to get a flyer about a 2-year HPSP. I nearly applied for the 3-year HPSP last year and was under the impression that 3 and 4 year HPSP's were the only types...

I was wondering if someone who knows a bit more would be willing to comment on the 2-year HPSP... thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

OmahaMX80 said:
So I was a little surprised the other day to get a flyer about a 2-year HPSP. I nearly applied for the 3-year HPSP last year and was under the impression that 3 and 4 year HPSP's were the only types...

I was wondering if someone who knows a bit more would be willing to comment on the 2-year HPSP... thanks.

i had a recruiter try to offer me a 2-year HPSP a few years ago. nevermind that i had done rotc and had obviously decided to not take another scholarship from the military didn't seem to matter. these guys are like oncologists; you're not safe from them until the last nail is in the coffin.

trick about 2-year HPSP is that the minimum obligation from HPSP is 3 years regardless of how many years of tuition they pay for.

Even if they did allow a 2 year commitment instead of the usual 3 year minimum for HPSP, they'd still be able to increase that by adding on your commitment for residency. That's assuming they let you do a residency and not just an internship.

Members don't see this ad :)
2 year HPSP doesn't really exist, lol. No residency is 2 years long, so the military will get at least 3 years out of you while only having to pay for 2 years of school. definitely not a good idea.

--your friendly neighborhood hopes no one falls for the 2 year HPSP scam caveman

Homunculus said:
No residency is 2 years long, so the military will get at least 3 years out of you while only having to pay for 2 years of school. definitely not a good idea.
Unless you were going Navy and would probably be doing a GMO tour anyway...

Homunculus said:
2 year HPSP doesn't really exist, lol. No residency is 2 years long, so the military will get at least 3 years out of you while only having to pay for 2 years of school. definitely not a good idea.

--your friendly neighborhood hopes no one falls for the 2 year HPSP scam caveman

For the Dental HPSP, it's 2 years for 3 years. You "can" do one year of residency if you choose (AEGD), or just do your 3 years of active service dentistry and be done with it. It's a slightly different animal, you don't have to deal with those residency years. All and all, not a terrible deal for a dental student, I can't speak for the medical side of things.