2-Year HPSP

Discussion in 'Military Medicine' started by OmahaMX80, Dec 6, 2005.

1. OmahaMX80

OmahaMX80 Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    So I was a little surprised the other day to get a flyer about a 2-year HPSP. I nearly applied for the 3-year HPSP last year and was under the impression that 3 and 4 year HPSP's were the only types...

I was wondering if someone who knows a bit more would be willing to comment on the 2-year HPSP... thanks.

2. colbgw02

colbgw02 Delightfully Tacky
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    i had a recruiter try to offer me a 2-year HPSP a few years ago. nevermind that i had done rotc and had obviously decided to not take another scholarship from the military didn't seem to matter. these guys are like oncologists; you're not safe from them until the last nail is in the coffin.

trick about 2-year HPSP is that the minimum obligation from HPSP is 3 years regardless of how many years of tuition they pay for.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. FliteSurgn

FliteSurgn This space for rent.
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Even if they did allow a 2 year commitment instead of the usual 3 year minimum for HPSP, they'd still be able to increase that by adding on your commitment for residency. That's assuming they let you do a residency and not just an internship.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Homunculus

Homunculus SDN Caveman Administrator
    Moderator Physician Verified Expert 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    2 year HPSP doesn't really exist, lol. No residency is 2 years long, so the military will get at least 3 years out of you while only having to pay for 2 years of school. definitely not a good idea.

--your friendly neighborhood hopes no one falls for the 2 year HPSP scam caveman

5. notdeadyet

notdeadyet Still in California
    Moderator Verified Expert 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Unless you were going Navy and would probably be doing a GMO tour anyway...

6. Omahahahaha

Omahahahaha Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Dentist
    For the Dental HPSP, it's 2 years for 3 years. You "can" do one year of residency if you choose (AEGD), or just do your 3 years of active service dentistry and be done with it. It's a slightly different animal, you don't have to deal with those residency years. All and all, not a terrible deal for a dental student, I can't speak for the medical side of things.