2 Year SMP applicant applying for 2021 admissions in need of advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

flyinglotus12

Reaction score
Hello,

Thank you for any and all advice and taking the time. 22 yo student in first year of a 2 year SMP. Undergraduate stats: 3.25 cGPA, 2.7 sGPA, MCAT first attempt: 504. Trended upwards through 4 years. Attained 4.0 in first semester taking Physiology and Biochemistry in SMP. Plan on applying for 2021 admissions after retaking MCAT in the early summer (aiming for around a 512). Next year courses are upper level science courses including histology and embryology.

Volunteered as EMT in highly regarded student ambulance corps for 2 years (6 hours a week) and worked as EMT for public waterfront over the summer. (Much more hours , unknown at the moment but can find.) Performed undergraduate research and currently work for Graduate research lab during time in my masters to make some pocket money and beef up that aspect of my resume. Also volunteered for public health initiative in undergraduate as well.

Trying to figure out schools to apply to. A majority will be DO schools, with some lower end/ mid tier MD schools depending on how well MCAT retake goes. Difficult to figure out based on disparity between uGPA and SMP GPA as well as previous MCAT versus new goal score.

Been receiving a lot of conflicting advice from various sources such as why am I waisting time doing research if my goal is to become a physician? Was told that I may need more pt contact hours and to spend time in an ER with patients and their families which is an option for me.

Hoping for suggestions of schools to apply to and any other advice are greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,

Thank you for any and all advice and taking the time. 22 yo student in first year of a 2 year SMP. Undergraduate stats: 3.25 cGPA, 2.7 sGPA, MCAT first attempt: 504. Trended upwards through 4 years. Attained 4.0 in first semester taking Physiology and Biochemistry in SMP. Plan on applying for 2021 admissions after retaking MCAT in the early summer (aiming for around a 512). Next year courses are upper level science courses including histology and embryology.

Volunteered as EMT in highly regarded student ambulance corps for 2 years (6 hours a week) and worked as EMT for public waterfront over the summer. (Much more hours , unknown at the moment but can find.) Performed undergraduate research and currently work for Graduate research lab during time in my masters to make some pocket money and beef up that aspect of my resume. Also volunteered for public health initiative in undergraduate as well.

Trying to figure out schools to apply to. A majority will be DO schools, with some lower end/ mid tier MD schools depending on how well MCAT retake goes. Difficult to figure out based on disparity between uGPA and SMP GPA as well as previous MCAT versus new goal score.

Been receiving a lot of conflicting advice from various sources such as why am I waisting time doing research if my goal is to become a physician? Was told that I may need more pt contact hours and to spend time in an ER with patients and their families which is an option for me.

Hoping for suggestions of schools to apply to and any other advice are greatly appreciated.
Come back with your stats from the SMP and your new MCAT score and then we can help you. Research is overrated.

At this point in time, forget about your ug GPA or cGPA. It's all about the SMP GPA to prove that the you of now is not the you of then.

Reactions: 2 users
Come back with your stats from the SMP and your new MCAT score and then we can help you. Research is overrated.

At this point in time, forget about your ug GPA or cGPA. It's all about the SMP GPA to prove that the you of now is not the you of then.
Thank you!