2 year window for EPPP at VA...?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

pittpsych2014

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Greetings!
I have a question for VA folks. I received an informal offer yesterday while interviewing at VA hospital (yay!). The chief stated that he'd really like me to take the EPPP "within a month" (such that I am fully licensed by projected start date of September 2017) because he doesn't want to go through the credentialing process twice. (My understanding is that if I'm not yet licensed I come in as a "dependent" provider at a GS-12, step 1 but have 2 years to take the EPPP; if I come in licensed I'm an "independent provider" and can maybe negotitate for a higher step.) I stated in our conversation that I would do my best but the chief also knows that I'm still trying to get my application materials for licensure in the state to which I am applying. Furthermore, I can't even register for EPPP until my application has been approved (and this particular state reviews every 60 days). So of course there is no way I can take the EPPP by June; in fact I just started studying and was aiming to take it at the end of August/early September. My postdoc is a crazy 50-55 hours/week and I was advised by my preceptor at postdoc to "not worry" about the taking the EPPP while on fellowship but to go for a VA job and take advantage of the EPPP 2 year time frame.

I'm concerned that my informal offer is contingent upon taking and passing EPPP and wondering if others have received VA offers with a similar stipulation? I'm also wondering if I should wait to get a formal offer from HR before going back to chief and trying to negotiate for a later EPPP date or if I should just be up front and state that I'm still very interested in the position but that I cannot promise to have EPPP by start date and that I'm happy to start at a GS-12 Step 1 (which is totally fine with me). I understand her concerns -- there was a person that had recently been hired but had to be let go after not passing within 2 years and I think the chief feels a bit burned. But I am not that person and I'm confident I will pass if I'm given enough time to study.

Thoughts? This is so nerve-wracking!

Thanks,
M
 
Greetings!
I have a question for VA folks. I received an informal offer yesterday while interviewing at VA hospital (yay!). The chief stated that he'd really like me to take the EPPP "within a month" (such that I am fully licensed by projected start date of September 2017) because he doesn't want to go through the credentialing process twice. (My understanding is that if I'm not yet licensed I come in as a "dependent" provider at a GS-12, step 1 but have 2 years to take the EPPP; if I come in licensed I'm an "independent provider" and can maybe negotitate for a higher step.) I stated in our conversation that I would do my best but the chief also knows that I'm still trying to get my application materials for licensure in the state to which I am applying. Furthermore, I can't even register for EPPP until my application has been approved (and this particular state reviews every 60 days). So of course there is no way I can take the EPPP by June; in fact I just started studying and was aiming to take it at the end of August/early September. My postdoc is a crazy 50-55 hours/week and I was advised by my preceptor at postdoc to "not worry" about the taking the EPPP while on fellowship but to go for a VA job and take advantage of the EPPP 2 year time frame.

I'm concerned that my informal offer is contingent upon taking and passing EPPP and wondering if others have received VA offers with a similar stipulation? I'm also wondering if I should wait to get a formal offer from HR before going back to chief and trying to negotiate for a later EPPP date or if I should just be up front and state that I'm still very interested in the position but that I cannot promise to have EPPP by start date and that I'm happy to start at a GS-12 Step 1 (which is totally fine with me). I understand her concerns -- there was a person that had recently been hired but had to be let go after not passing within 2 years and I think the chief feels a bit burned. But I am not that person and I'm confident I will pass if I'm given enough time to study.

Thoughts? This is so nerve-wracking!

Thanks,
M

Once you have the offer from HR, they have to play by the rules. Which is 2 years.
 
Greetings!
I have a question for VA folks. I received an informal offer yesterday while interviewing at VA hospital (yay!). The chief stated that he'd really like me to take the EPPP "within a month" (such that I am fully licensed by projected start date of September 2017) because he doesn't want to go through the credentialing process twice. (My understanding is that if I'm not yet licensed I come in as a "dependent" provider at a GS-12, step 1 but have 2 years to take the EPPP; if I come in licensed I'm an "independent provider" and can maybe negotitate for a higher step.) I stated in our conversation that I would do my best but the chief also knows that I'm still trying to get my application materials for licensure in the state to which I am applying. Furthermore, I can't even register for EPPP until my application has been approved (and this particular state reviews every 60 days). So of course there is no way I can take the EPPP by June; in fact I just started studying and was aiming to take it at the end of August/early September. My postdoc is a crazy 50-55 hours/week and I was advised by my preceptor at postdoc to "not worry" about the taking the EPPP while on fellowship but to go for a VA job and take advantage of the EPPP 2 year time frame.

I'm concerned that my informal offer is contingent upon taking and passing EPPP and wondering if others have received VA offers with a similar stipulation? I'm also wondering if I should wait to get a formal offer from HR before going back to chief and trying to negotiate for a later EPPP date or if I should just be up front and state that I'm still very interested in the position but that I cannot promise to have EPPP by start date and that I'm happy to start at a GS-12 Step 1 (which is totally fine with me). I understand her concerns -- there was a person that had recently been hired but had to be let go after not passing within 2 years and I think the chief feels a bit burned. But I am not that person and I'm confident I will pass if I'm given enough time to study.

Thoughts? This is so nerve-wracking!

Thanks,
M
posted in error
 
Last edited: