20 AA/ 20 TS DAT- Retake ?!!?!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tiffluvsteeth

Reaction score
Hi everyone! Just took the dat and got a 20AA/20TS . I have a 3.75 gpa, lots of volunteering hours, lots of shadowing hours, have been working as a dental assistant at a free clinic, will start working at a cancer research lab in September, and am involved with 3 clubs on campus. I’m aiming at getting accepted to Ucla, usc, uop, or NYU and I am applying this cycle ...

Should I retake the DAT???

Members don't see this ad.

You do not have to but generally with your GPA people tend to score higher on the DAT. UCLA and UoP are a bit far to reach with your DAT score. I can point you to a direction for you to find out yourself whether they favor a high GPA or the DAT score. There will be people who will tell you want you want to hear and others that will tell you otherwise but it's what you think that matters most :) Numbers and stats is needed to get through the door (get an interview), then it's personality and confidence to bag the spot.
Dental School Statistics
I recommend you put a bit more time researching the schools that best fit you if you haven't already. Is there a reason you chose those schools on your list? Other than the first 3 being in California and having no other similarities and NYU is just there.
UCLA: Pretty cheap tuition compare to the other choices but very competitive among the all dental schools. It is a good place if you want to specialize
USC: One of the most expensive school. Been getting bad rep. It gives an amazing vibe though and your scores are more than enough.
UOP: 3 year program and also pretty expensive. The campus is pretty new and the campus is in San Fran. You'll have to add the high cost of living too.
NYU: Ranked up with USC and Midwestern as one the most expensive. Class sizes are huge and results in people being dismissed once in awhile

Things maybe a bit different now than it was when I did the majority of my research.. which was about 2-3 years but I hope this helps.

Reactions: 1 users