SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

20 Questions Series

Discussion in 'Pre-Veterinary' started by Lee, Apr 13, 2007.

1. Lee

Lee Sleestack Staff Member Administrator 10+ Year Member

Dec 31, 1999
    We're starting a 20 questions series for veterinary medicine. We will interview DVMs in each field of vet med.

What questions would you like us to ask of practicing vets?

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. thereservoirdog

thereservoirdog 7+ Year Member

Jan 21, 2007
    California
    I'd like to ask a wildlife/zoo vet what kind of opportunities there are after vet school and if he can work full time in his specialty or if he has to divide it out with a small animal clinic.

4. kate_g

kate_g Senior Member 2+ Year Member

Apr 4, 2006
    What kind of job do they have (private practice, public sector, industry, academic...) and what percentage of their take-home salary goes to loan repayment? (e.g. loan payment amount divided by (salary minus taxes).)

5. Fairyblastt

Fairyblastt UC Davis class of 2013 5+ Year Member

Jan 14, 2007
    For research vets, why did you choose to get a dvm instead of a phd, or why did you choose to get both?

6. Habibti

Habibti 2+ Year Member

Mar 6, 2007
    What is a 'typical' week (hours, number of cases seen, what they actually spend their time doing)? What sacrifices they've have to make because of their career? What they wish they would have known before getting into the profession?

7. QTkitty

QTkitty CSU PVM class of 2011 2+ Year Member

Jan 24, 2007
    CO
    I would want to ask women vets how they decided when to have kids (how they allowed for it with maternity leave, etc.), and how they balance their family lives and work now. This is one thing I think about all the time because my SO and I really want to have kids some day but I don't foresee any time in the near future I'll be able to do it. I can't have kids while I'm in school, I want to do an internship/residency after, and I can't take time off for it when I'm just getting started following that... I guess that puts me well into my 30s and my SO into his 40s. AAHHHHH I hate thinking about it :scared:

8. wildfocus

wildfocus DVM/PhD student 5+ Year Member

Nov 14, 2006
    Rocky Mountain High
    where do you see the field of veterinary medicine in 20 years?

9. JIKJen124

JIKJen124 5+ Year Member

Apr 4, 2005
    Cincinnati
    I would second this question. I would have written it myself, but I couldn't figure out how to phrase it.

10. aggiegolf

aggiegolf 2+ Year Member

Apr 1, 2007
    What opportunities are there in toy poodle medicine?

11. philomycus

philomycus The Tree Rat 7+ Year Member

Aug 21, 2006
    In an oak tree...
    Man, you crack me up. If you need help with the Bio GRE and are willing to travel, I will personally tutor you! :D

As long as you keep me laughing.....

12. aggiegolf

aggiegolf 2+ Year Member

Apr 1, 2007
    I'm going to the caribbean for vet school in May, so no more GRE Bio for me! Lol.

13. ShelterGirl

ShelterGirl UC Davis SVM 2012 5+ Year Member

Dec 21, 2006
    Bay Area, CA
    How many times did they have to apply before being accepted?

14. Pennymare

Pennymare Ohio State Class of 2011 2+ Year Member

Jan 21, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    I second this question :)

15. Pennymare

Pennymare Ohio State Class of 2011 2+ Year Member

Jan 21, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Since I already missed the 'seconding'...

Did they have a job in vet school? If so, what type? Did they work as assistants or employees at the vet school, in research etc?

16. peco

peco 2+ Year Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Are their specific career goals before getting into vet schools the same as those after graduating from vet schools? for example, right before you got into vet school or when you were a first year, you thought you want to do a residency in this field in the future, but by the time you graduated, your mind changed and decided to go into another specific field.

17. Angie09

Angie09 Penn c/o 2012 5+ Year Member

Aug 28, 2006
    Philadelphia
    Seconded! And not only what did they do, but what do they recommend doing, or wish they'd done for work during school?

18. sambone

sambone Cornell 2013 5+ Year Member

Aug 3, 2005
    New York
    Have their opinions on ethical issues from before/during vet school changed since working professionally as veterinarians?

What, if any major changes do they predict or hope for in veterinary medicine (any fields)?

19. LuckyJo

LuckyJo KSU CVM 2011 2+ Year Member

Nov 14, 2006
    What was that first year out of vet school like? Did you feel the school you graduated from prepared you for real life vet med? Do you wish you payed more attention to something, if so what?

20. KittenKiller

KittenKiller chop suey 7+ Year Member

Jan 25, 2007
    Kennett Square, PA
    What's your favorite thing about your job? Least favorite?