2005 applicants - how many programs did you apply to?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

How many programs did you apply to?

• Less than 5

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • 5-10

Votes: 4 8.5%
  • 10-15

Votes: 8 17.0%
  • 15-20

Votes: 12 25.5%
  • 20-30

Votes: 11 23.4%
  • more than 30

Votes: 5 10.6%
  • I didn't apply this year but I feel the need to vote on the poll anyway.

Votes: 6 12.8%

• Total voters

yaah

Boring
Moderator Emeritus
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Might be interesting to see what this shows. Let us know how many programs you applied to, just for others to see what the range is. Lurkers should definitely respond as well.

Members don't see this ad.

Actually yaah, I applied to a dead even 20 programs. Should I vote for 15-20 or 20-30? ;)

P.S. it's a rhetorical question...I'm just being silly

Rhetorical, eh? Yeah, I guess I goofed. Oh well. Stupid is as stupid does. Pick the one you feel like picking. If 20 feels like too many, pick 15-20. If the 20th program you picked was really awesome and you felt like limiting yourself to 20 was tough, pick 20-25.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey yaah, perhaps make this a sticky?...if we have room for stickies of course...god forbid the whole first page of threads are clogged with stickies.

No, I choose to limit the stickies. This is a temporary poll anyway, you can only vote once. Can bump it up in a few weeks to see if anyone else will vote. Stickies are like reality TV shows. If there are too many of them, no one will look at any of them.

I told one of my attendings last week that I was sending out 20 applications. She laughed and said that path isn't that competitive.

I guess we are just a little more paranoid. I hope she is correct. I have 2 interviews and 18 nothing so far. Even though it is early, this doesnt exactly put me in a commanding position.

i figure, if they all give you interviews, you can always decline, but if you get no offers by end of october/november, it can definitely feel weird going back and sending your application out again. okay, eating the cost sucks, but hey, at least you're seeing a lot of the country. :) that was my excuse for applying to 21. btw, i have no interviews either, even though my application has been in since 9/6. i'm told it's because i have no lor's in yet.

I applied to lucky 13. Don't know why. Just sort of ended up that way. I am an average (at best) med student with no research, so I applied mostly to moderately to minimally competitive programs with two or three "reach" programs thrown in for fun. No interviews yet but I'm still hoping.

I applied to 30 programs! Is that the record? I'm actually glad I applied to so many. Two of my interviews are at great places I threw in at the last minute (Iowa, Utah). Four interviews so far total, many others have told me they need my transcript or at least 2 LOR's to review my application. This process is actually fun when I'm not hyperventilating.

36 votes so far - lots of folks in the middle - around 15-20.

I guess an interesting follow up would be, "how many interviews did you end up going on."

yaah said:
36 votes so far - lots of folks in the middle - around 15-20.

I guess an interesting follow up would be, "how many interviews did you end up going on."
Or a "how many interviews did you get?"

In the interests of data integrity, I think we will have to chuck the last 5 votes... :laugh:

Looks like people are erring on the side of having more apps than less.
I wonder how much of the 20-30er's are split (20-25 vs 26-30).

yaah said:
Rhetorical, eh?

Yaah, are you a Simpson's fan, by any chance?

geddy said:
Yaah, are you a Simpson's fan, by any chance?

Yup. Haven't seen many of the newer episodes - I always seem to miss it on sunday nights. I have watched lots of reruns and have lots of old episodes on tape (most of first 8-9 seasons).

Favorite episodes: Lots of the season where Conan OBrien was involved (the monorail, the nuclear plant strike, Homer's bypass, etc).