2005 Applicants Stats Page

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
ranark said:
I just got a letter from Case saying that my application is on hold until I retake the DAT.. i am a little surprised.. my DAT scores are super or anything but I thought my GPA would help it out. I have a 3.9GPA, and 19/19/16 DAT scores...for those who got interviews at Case, could you tell me your stats..I am a little disappointed. :(

wow, that is VERY surprising... i interviewd there, and my gpa was a 3.6 with DAT 21/20/15. so my PAT sucked, and my gpa was much worse than urs. dunno what to tell u, maybe because i applied real early (submitted on june 2nd , interviewed on aug. twentysomething) good luck, u'll def get in somewhere, i wouldnt even worry about re-taking the DAT's.

omar

Members don't see this ad.

ranark said:
I just got a letter from Case saying that my application is on hold until I retake the DAT.. i am a little surprised.. my DAT scores are super or anything but I thought my GPA would help it out. I have a 3.9GPA, and 19/19/16 DAT scores...for those who got interviews at Case, could you tell me your stats..I am very disappointed. :( should i call and ask them what kind of scores they are looking for? I really dont think I have the energy to retake it this year.

does any one else have an opinion on this?

ranark said:
I just got a letter from Case saying that my application is on hold until I retake the DAT.. i am a little surprised.. my DAT scores are super or anything but I thought my GPA would help it out. I have a 3.9GPA, and 19/19/16 DAT scores...for those who got interviews at Case, could you tell me your stats..I am very disappointed. :( should i call and ask them what kind of scores they are looking for? I really dont think I have the energy to retake it this year.

Recent Statistics For Case Western University:
Fall 2004 Entering Class...
Positions Available 70
Applicants 1771
Number interviewed 343
Mean GPA 3.39
Mean Science GPA 3.26
Mean DAT Academic Average 18.17
Mean DAT Perceptual Ability 17.93

This is odd, you should have had a better chance. Then again, I'm not an adcom, so it's not my say. Keep your fingers crossed... have you gotten any other inivites?

Members don't see this ad :)
busupshot83 said:
Recent Statistics For Case Western University:
Fall 2004 Entering Class...
Positions Available 70
Applicants 1771
Number interviewed 343
Mean GPA 3.39
Mean Science GPA 3.26
Mean DAT Academic Average 18.17
Mean DAT Perceptual Ability 17.93

This is odd, you should have had a better chance. Then again, I'm not an adcom, so it's not my say. Keep your fingers crossed... have you gotten any other inivites?

I got an invite for an interview at Boston for March 4th ( that is like the end of time :( )... nothing from anyone else besides Case asking me to retake the test. should i email the admissions counselor about it and ask him what kind of scores I should try to get.. I dont think my scores are the highest.. but I figured that since their GPA is lower, my own would balance it out.. anyway...

ranark said:
I got an invite for an interview at Boston for March 4th ( that is like the end of time :( )... nothing from anyone else besides Case asking me to retake the test. should i email the admissions counselor about it and ask him what kind of scores I should try to get.. I dont think my scores are the highest.. but I figured that since their GPA is lower, my own would balance it out.. anyway...

Yes, I would email him/her.

ranark said:

Do you have any individual scores below 15? I know of at least one school that would not consider an applicant with a 14 on one section of the DAT and 20s all across on others. In other words, they want all the scores to be above a certain minimum.

I would call the school and make sure that there is no mistake and find out what kind of scores are they looking for in your case. When I went to Case for an interview, I got an impression that they give somewhat more weight to GPA than to DAT scores. I might be wrong though. I?m surprised that they put you on hold. In any case just call them.

My GPA is slightly lower than yours, but my DAT is a little higher

I?m sure you?ll get in somewhere this year, your GPA is so high and DAT scores are respectable, I would not retake

Good luck

ranark said:

Just retake it by the end of this month. No worries, if they said they will hold your ap instead of rejecting you, that's great. I am sure if you got a 3.9 gpa you are pretty smart and can get 19's on all sections. The PATs take practice; just keep practicing. Did you score 16 or lower on any academic section? That may be why they are telling you to retake it. Good luck.

Standard Format:

Undergrad Ed:purdue University I am a third year student and I am getting my BA in Psychology with a concentration in Behavioral Neuroscience in May.
Cumulative Undergrad. GPA: 3.65
Science Undergrad. GPA: 3.23
Graduate Ed: (if applicable)
Cumulative Graduate GPA: (if applicable)
Science Graduate GPA: (if applicable)

1st DAT: Academic, Science, PAT 18 18 17
2nd DAT: Academic, Science, PAT (if applicable) Should I retake my DATs?

Extracurricular/Research Activities: Undergraduate student ambassador(I help counsel freshman undecieded students), judo club member, tutor hispanic kids in a local elementary school, dental assistant for a few years now, active member in my honor society, Nation Society of Collegiate Scholars, I have also been a TA for 2 psychology classes, one at the 100 level and one at the 300 level.

Schools Applied:Case, U of Louisville, U of Kentucky, Temple, Marquette, Oklahoma, UIC, Southern Illinois, OSU

AADSAS Submitted Date: 8/1/04

Schools Received AADSAS Date: (approximate date)9/1/04

Interview Invites: Case(Nov 12th), Temple(last week), and Southern Illinois(Nov 17th)

Denied: None yet, hopefully none

Withdrew Application:

Waitlisted:

Accepted:
Unfortunetly I go to a school where I do not know of many dental school applicants. I am a student at Purdue and I will be graduating one year early with my degree. I have worked at two dental offices and have been certified to polish children's teeth. I am a trilingual, asian woman, what do you think my chances are getting in somehwhere? Be brutal!

Undergrad Ed:Columbia Engineering
Cumulative Undergrad. GPA: 3.2 (including postbacc), 3.3 (just undergrad)
Science Undergrad. GPA: 2.95 :mad:

1st DAT: 22, 19, 22 (BUT RC27, QR25) :D
2nd DAT: Academic, Science, PAT (if applicable)

Extracurricular/Research Activities: Shadowing dentist ~100 hrs. Volunteer at dental clinic ~60 hrs. Worked at a consulting firm on wall st for 1 yr.

Schools Applied: A few... including Tufts, Columbia...

AADSAS Submitted Date: mid-september

Schools Received AADSAS Date: (approximate date): mid-october

Interview Invites: DAT scores should be going in this wk...so..

Denied: N/A :scared:

Withdrew Application: NONE

Waitlisted: N/A

Accepted: N/A yet

How do you see my chances?? I'm getting pretty nervous. Everyone's stats are very solid.... good luck people.. :luck:

tygastyle80
u went to columbia, u did engineering, u have AWESOME DAT scores..

i'd take ya! but i'm crazy, so just like everyone else..we're all gonna hafta play the waiting game to find out!

gdluck

jini said:
First, don't be nervous. You will get somewhere with your stats. I got my BS 1994 and have been working since then until 2003 when I decided to go back to school to work on the pre-dental courses. UCSF interview was not as stressful as I thought.
Thanks. All I can do now is wait. I've also been working since my graduation.

grinningrice said:
Unfortunetly I go to a school where I do not know of many dental school applicants. I am a student at Purdue and I will be graduating one year early with my degree. I have worked at two dental offices and have been certified to polish children's teeth. I am a trilingual, asian woman, what do you think my chances are getting in somehwhere? Be brutal!

Hi there, grinningrice. Personally, I think that you have a very good chance. Your DAT scores and gpa are respectable, you are earning a degree that will set you apart (in a postive fashion) from the other applicants, your language skills are particularly fascinating (and valuable too!), and your application was sent back in August. All that is left is for you to go out and kill 'em in the interview! Best of luck! :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
Undergrad Ed: UC Berkeley, BA Psychology with a minor in Anthropology
Cumulative Undergrad. GPA: 3.57
Science Undergrad. GPA: 3.20

1st DAT: Academic, Science, PAT 19, 19, 16 :(

Extracurricular/Research Activities: Shadowing at private practice and clinic ~ 60 hours, Pre-Dental Society, National Society of Collegiate Scholars, American Society of Forensic Odontology, NSF Fellowship for Research in Biocultural Anthropology, presented research paper at University of Notre Dame, Dental Education Outreach Program, volunteer work, athletics

Schools Applied: UOP, UCLA, UCSF, UNLV, Maryland, Boston, Tufts, NYU, Michigan

AADSAS Submitted Date: 7/17/04

Schools Received AADSAS Date: 9/3/04

Interview Invites: Michigan (Oct 22), UNLV (Dec 2), Boston (Dec 10), Maryland (Dec 15), NYU (withdrew), Tufts (Jan 11), UCSF (Jan 31)!! :)

Denied: N/A

Withdrew Application: NYU

Accepted: Michigan :)

Bump

(I've seen a lot of new users lately and thought they might want to add their info)

Undergrad Ed: CUNY Queens, BA in bio
Cumulative Undergrad. GPA: 3.89
Science Undergrad. GPA: 3.80

1st DAT: Academic, Science, PAT: 24, 22, 18

Extracurricular/Research Activities: Volunteer at clinic ~ 60 hours, peer tutoring, Bio HS, Chem HS

Schools Applied: SUNY SB, UMDNJ, UConn, NYU, Columbia, UMD

AADSAS Submitted Date: 9/6/04

Schools Received AADSAS Date: 10/28/04

Interview Invites: SUNY SB (11/18), UConn (12/13), UMDNJ (12/17), UMD (1/5), Columbia (1/21)

Denied: none, I hope

Withdrew Application: UConn

Waitlisted: none so far...

Accepted: Stony

Undergrad Ed: Bio
Cumulative Undergrad. GPA: 3.2
Science Undergrad. GPA: 3.1

DAT: Academic, Science, PAT
18 17 17

Schools Applied:NYU, Boston, Tufts, UOP, UCLA, UCSF, Temple

AADSAS Submitted Date:11/8

Schools Received AADSAS Date: (approximate date)

Interview Invites:none yet

Denied:none

Withdrew Application:no

Waitlisted:not yet

Accepted:not yet

Undergrad Ed: Muhlenberg College, BS in Biochemistry
Cumulative Undergrad. GPA: 3.91
Science Undergrad. GPA: 3.89

1st DAT: Academic, Science, PAT: 20,21,17

Extracurricular/Research Activities: Volunteer at dental clinic ~ 70 hours, peer tutoring, 2 years of research with 2 different professors

Schools Applied: UPenn, Temple, Pitt, UMDNJ

AADSAS Submitted Date: 8/30/04

Schools Received AADSAS Date: 10/14/04

Interview Invites: UPenn (12/10)

Withdrew Application: N/A

Accepted: N/A

chenchy626 said:
Undergrad Ed: Muhlenberg College, BS in Biochemistry
Cumulative Undergrad. GPA: 3.91
Science Undergrad. GPA: 3.89

1st DAT: Academic, Science, PAT: 20,21,17

Extracurricular/Research Activities: Volunteer at dental clinic ~ 70 hours, peer tutoring, 2 years of research with 2 different professors

Schools Applied: UPenn, Temple, Pitt, UMDNJ

AADSAS Submitted Date: 8/30/04

Schools Received AADSAS Date: 10/14/04

Interview Invites: UPenn (12/10)

Accepted: N/A
BUMP
you're my favorite... i have a good feeling :thumbup:

********** EVERYONE PLEASE UPDATE *************

Undergrad Ed: 2005 BA Bio and Minor in Russian Language and Lit Rutgers University
Cumulative Undergrad. GPA: 3.58
Science Undergrad. GPA: 3.63

1st DAT: Academic, Science, PAT 21/21/20

Extracurricular/Research Activities: Shadowing GP and Periodontist. Wish I would have done more, but holding a job and commuting to school all four years made it very difficult if not impossible.

Schools Applied: UMDNJ, UCONN, COLUMBIA, NYU, MARYLAND

AADSAS Submitted Date: 8/31

Schools Received AADSAS Date: 10/14

Interview Invites: Just took DAT Nov. 4, the ball is on their side of the court.

Denied: NA

Withdrew Application: NA

Waitlisted: NA

Accepted: NA

Undergrad Ed:B.S. Biology
Cumulative Undergrad. GPA:3.9
Science Undergrad. GPA: 3.9

1st DAT: 10/06/04
Academic ave- 19
Percept- 16
Quant. Reasoning- 15
Reading Comp- 21
Bio- 17
Gen Chem- 19
Org. Chem- 23
Total Sci- 19
2nd DAT: do you think i should? i hope not

Extracurricular/Research Activities: Biology Lab assistant, certified tutor, various clubs in college, shadowed 2 dentists (30 hours)
volunteer at homeless shelter and nursing home regularly, big buddy

Schools Applied: UNC, UoP, Creighton, Marquette, Case, Univ. of Maryland, Harvard, UConn, Columbia, UPenn, UTenn, UDMercy, UCLA, Howard, Meharry, Temple, NYU, Boston ( this many because I qualified for fee waivers and i really want to get into dental school this year.. especially same school as my brother who is also applying)

AADSAS Submitted Date: July 19th

Schools Received AADSAS Date:Aug 19th

Schools Recieved DAT scores: all I think

Interview Invites: BU,UPenn,UConn,Temple

Denied:none yet..ihope i dont have to fill in this part

Withdrew Application:...

Waitlisted:...

Accepted: lets see who is the lucky winner

How long does it take a school to make a decision after the application is complete? The suspense is killing me.. i heard quickly from those four schools but I havent heard anything at all from the rest. My app has been complete for over a month now.

calbear82 said:
Undergrad Ed: U.C. Berkeley
Cumulative Undergrad. GPA: 3.51
Science Undergrad. GPA: 3.36

1st DAT: Academic, Science, PAT: 25/29/19
2nd DAT: Academic, Science, PAT: N/A

Extracurricular/Research Activities: Research in TB lab, coauthored one manuscript (will have a total of 3 papers by next summer), 100+ hours shadowing/chair side assisting at Free Cllinic

Schools Applied: UOP, UCSF, UCLA, USC, Harvard, Tufts, Boston, NYU, Columbia, UPenn, VCU

AADSAS Submitted Date: September 6, 2004

Schools Received AADSAS Date: (approximate date): October 29, 2004

Interview Invites: Boston, Columbia, UPenn

Denied: Not yet

Waitlisted: Not yet

Accepted: Not yet

Very very impressed by Berkeley students' academic achivement! :luck:

tygastyle80 said:

Extracurricular/Research Activities: Shadowing dentist ~100 hrs. Volunteer at dental clinic ~60 hrs. Worked at a consulting firm on wall st for 1 yr.

How do you see my chances?? I'm getting pretty nervous. Everyone's stats are very solid.... good luck people.. :luck:

I think you'll def get in somewhere with ur DAT score man, I wouldn't sweat it.

ecdoesit said:
Hi edknarf,
i might retake your DAT if you r serious about penn, harvard and uconn, etc. You should definitely get some research experience as well.

Don't think so.... Just decided to go to Penn:):)

edkNARF said:
Don't think so.... Just decided to go to Penn:):)

hehehe :thumbup:

Fruity_Trident : " Gee, edkNARF what do you want to do tonight?"
edkNARF: "The same thing we do every night fruity_trident. Try to take over the [d-school] world!"

imma geek....and i love it!

tygastyle80 said:

I have a similar background.

Undergrad: 2.8 sci, 3.0 non-sci. double majored in math and phys
Gra: 3.5 MBA
DAT: 21 AA 20 PAT (26 QR)
Applied: Mid Sep.
Apps received: Late Oct.
Interviewed: NYU in early Dec.
Dental experience: 400+ hrs

I'm still hopeful......

Undergrad Ed: Liberal Arts College
Cumulative Undergrad. GPA: 3.4 something (low 3.4)
Science Undergrad. GPA: 3.2 something (near 3.3)

1st DAT: Academic, Science, PAT:AA:19, PAT:18, QR:16, RC:22, BIO:20, GC:21, OC:18, TS:20

Extracurricular/Research Activities: Shadowed 1 Dentist >200 hours. Shodowed another Dentist 20 hours. Did Genetics research on a single celled algae involving potassium transport, 3 semesters. MXI, APO, Model UN member.

Schools Applied: Case Western, Columbia, Creighton, Harvard, Indiana, Loma Linda, South Carolina, Nova, Buffalo, Temple, Michigan, Tufts, Kentucky, Louisville, Maryland, Missouri-Kansas, Penn, Pitt
I overdid this ;) I just wanted to make sure I would get in somewhere. Also some of the schools I applied to I never intended to go to such as Harvard, Columbia, and Penn. I just did it to see if I could get in, would never do it again :) haha.

AADSAS Submitted Date: 8/31/04

Schools Received AADSAS Date: 10/16/04

Interview Invites: Indiana (1/12), Bufalo (1/20), Louisville (2/7), Nova (2/10), Michigan (2/18), Maryland (2/22), Case (3/14)

Denied: Missouri-Kansas, Penn, Columbia, Kentucky, Temple

Withdrew Application: Loma Linda

Accepted: IU, Buffalo

Undergrad Ed: Sociology/Biochem Univ. of Arizona
Cumulative Undergrad. GPA: 3.4
Science Undergrad. GPA: 3.2

DAT: AA/Sci/PAT: 20/20/20

Extracurricular/Research Activities: Peace Corps, 100 hours hospital volunteer, after school tutor, Patient Care Tech, Dental Assistant.

Schools Applied: WICHIE schools, Case, Louisville, Kentucky, Marquette, Creighton, Pitt, Temple, VCU, BU, Tufts.

AADSAS Submitted Date: July 9, 2004 #18XX

Schools Received AADSAS Date: late August 2004

Schools Received DAT score: October 12, 2004

Interview Invites: UCSF, Arizona, Pitt, Temple, Case, BU, USC

Denied: none

Accepted: UCSF, Arizona, Creighton, Pitt

Attending: UCSF or Creighton depending on financial aid package

Here is an old thread I thought I would ressurrect so that the old-timers can update them and newbies could see some examples of people who got accepted to their favorite school.

Plus some posts are pretty funny.

which schools drop your worst semester......man that would be great!

dentalguy said:

Yeah, Right - don't believe EVERYTHING you hear!!!

dentalguy said:

canadian schools drop your last yr..provided u did 4..and u took a full course load...
u'd also need a 3.99 and 24+ for DATs lol :D

Undergrad Ed: Biology (Cellular and Molecular Biology Emphasis)
Cumulative Undergrad. GPA: 3.60
Science Undergrad. GPA: 3.76

1st DAT: Academic19, Science20, PAT17

Extracurricular/Research Activities: Lots of Research Experience and shadowing

Schools Applied: USC, Marquette, NYU, Creighton, BU, TUFTS, Howard

AADSAS Submitted Date: 01/16/2005 Yes, Very LATEEE :scared:

Schools Received AADSAS Date: 02/11/2005 :scared:

Interview Invites: USC, Marquette, NYU, BU

Denied: TUFTS, Creighton

Withdrew Application: BU

Waitlisted: Marquette, BU

Accepted: USC (GOING TO ATTEND) :) , Marquette, NYU, BU

busupshot83 said:
Upon BlankGuy's request...

Standard Format:

Undergrad Ed:
Cumulative Undergrad. GPA:
Science Undergrad. GPA:

1st DAT: Academic, Science, PAT

Extracurricular/Research Activities:

Schools Applied:

AADSAS Submitted Date:

Schools Received AADSAS Date: (approximate date)

Interview Invites:

Denied:

Withdrew Application:

Waitlisted:

Accepted:
Undergrad ed:BS Dental Hygiene University of Detroit Mercy School of Dentistry
Cumulative Gpa:3.87
Science gpa:3.3

1stDat:AA:17 TS:16 PAT:13
2ndDat:AA:20 TS:19 PAT:14

Extracurricular: Numerous dental screening projects, table clinics , 10 years in the dental field, class president, student government secretary, Michigan Dental Hygienist association legislative affairs committee, professional development committee, mother of a 2 year old

applied: UDM
interviewed: udm
waitlisted: udm

applied in October but took DAT again in April

Undergrad Ed: Cleveland College, BS human bio 4/2005
-also attended other schools
Cummulative Undergrad GPA: 3.5
Cummulative Science GPA: 3.5

1st DAT: 23/24/20

Extracurricular/Research Activities:
military
clinical and lab research
shadowing
school government
school clubs (leadership position held)
volunteer/tutor (disabled students office, local middle school, and community events)
work
etc etc

Schools Applied: UCLA, UCSF, UConn, Tufts, BU, NYU, CWRU, Temple, Columbia, Pacific, UPenn

AADSAS Submitted Date: May 2004

Schools Received AADSAS Date: June 2004

Interview Invites: UConn, Columbia, BU, Tufts, CWRU

Denied: UCLA, UCSF, Temple, Pacific, Columbia, UPenn

Withdrew Application: BU, Tufts, CWRU

Waitlisted:

Accepted: UConn