2005 grad retaking classes with 3.76 BCMP, how will admissions perceive this?

Started by tbd82
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

tbd82

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi,

No doubt this type of question has been asked before, but my situation is a little different.

Graduated in 2005
3.59 cGPA
3.76 BCMP

I have A's in all my core science courses except for 3 Bs in Molecular, Cell Bio, and Organic Chem. I am 10 years removed from my undergrad, so I'm considering retaking all or most of my lower division science prereqs in order to 1) refresh for the mcat and 2) cover the requirements for the few schools that would consider my classes to be "expired".

I'm also considering only taking upper division classes I haven't taken before, and self studying the lower div bio/phy/chem beforehand.

Do adcoms view me retaking core science classes that I have done well in as a negative thing? My BCMP is decent so retaking these classes isn't really going to do anything to my GPA, I would only be doing it for the reasons listed above. However, if they will see it as me just trying to pad my GPA with classes I've already done well in then I would rather self study and take new classes.

All thoughts appreciated. Thanks!👍
 
General rule of thumb is it to not retake anything higher than a C-. Looks like you did very well in all your sciences, especially if your lowest grades were just 3 Bs. You'd be much better off taking additional upper division science courses that you've never taken before in order to show ADCOMs that you're still capable of taking the heavy science courseload. Retaking As and Bs is redundant and a waste of time and money, even if it is 10 years removed.

If you need to refresh your memory for the MCAT, you can always audit gen bio, gen chem, orgo, and physics.