***2007-2008 Application Season*** Post all application questions here! Part I

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, i was just about to have my transcript send to AACOMAS from my University but wanted to make sure I could have it requested without having submitted my AACOMAS application yet. Is this possible, or do i need to finish the application , submit it, and then request transcripts so they have me "in" the system and will be able to easily put my trasncript with my app.

thank you

You do not need to have your application submitted in order for AACOMAS to receive your transcripts. However, you need to have opened an application with AACOMAS.

Good Luck :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

I did a search and couldn't come up with the answer. How do you list AP classes in the coursework section? It doesn't allow me to list that it was taken during high school.

Thanks for any help

From the AACOMAS application instructions:

Advanced Placement: advanced credit granted by examination, including the College Level Equivalency Program (CLEP). The subjects and credit hours you received for these courses must appear on your official transcript. If these do not appear on the transcript, an official letter from the registrar is required. Advanced credit appearing on the transcript without subject or course names will be classified as non-science unless official documentation is received. If a letter grade is shown on the official transcript, the letter grade should be listed in the AACOMAS Grade column and included in your GPA calculations. If a grade is not shown on the official transcript or the course is indicated as being passed, then enter the semester hours and, under AACOMAS grade, select "Advanced Placement".

From the AACOMAS application instructions:

Advanced Placement: advanced credit granted by examination, including the College Level Equivalency Program (CLEP). The subjects and credit hours you received for these courses must appear on your official transcript. If these do not appear on the transcript, an official letter from the registrar is required. Advanced credit appearing on the transcript without subject or course names will be classified as non-science unless official documentation is received. If a letter grade is shown on the official transcript, the letter grade should be listed in the AACOMAS Grade column and included in your GPA calculations. If a grade is not shown on the official transcript or the course is indicated as being passed, then enter the semester hours and, under AACOMAS grade, select "Advanced Placement".

Thanks, I read that part but it still doesn't answer my question. I don't know which term to list them under because it doesn't give me the option of listing it under my high school. Should I just insert it under my first college semester?

Members don't see this ad :)
I put my AP course as Freshman. I was given 5 credit hours for it so it counted toward the first 5 hours as a freshman.

I will also add, in case it helps, that I did not request the credits until my fourth semester so it is on my fourth semester transcript wise as well as on the AACOMAS application. However, I still marked it as freshman even though all the other courses that semester were sophomore courses. AACOMAS did not edit this.

I'll add it in the same way it seems like the most logical approach.

Thanks

If it helps, I confirm this!

Hi this is my first time applying to DO thru AACOMAS and i am confused as to the process..How long does the application get verfied after it is submitted? Do they approve your application and then you start getting secondaries? Are secondaries emailed to you or do u go on the schools website and get them? PLease help

I hope this doesn't sound too rude, but I think you can easily find those answers by doing a basic search...
Still, here are some answers.

"How long does the application get verfied after it is submitted?"
It depends on when you send it in. Earlier in the cycle, it would have been a week or so, but based on volume, it might take 4 weeks. Check their FAQ.

"Do they approve your application and then you start getting secondaries"
Well yes, they VERIFY you and once all parts of your application are completed, they send it out to the schools you designated. Then, based on the school, they'll send you a letter acknowledging that they received your stuff and that they'll send you a secondary or not.

"Are secondaries emailed to you or do u go on the schools website and get them?"
They typically send you a link in their e-mail. The link is either to a application system, which has the secondary on it or to a .pdf that you send in.

Hello all!

I have a lot of questions but if anyone could assist me on any of them, I would greatly appreciate it!

Im trying to become more familiar with the AACOMAS method of calculating GPAs. I know that you can retake a course in which you did poorly on, and the most recent grade will replace the first one. 1) Does this apply to ALL courses: Science and non? 2) When the admissions committees see the grades, do they also see the old scores and the old GPAs before the grade substitions, or do they just see the substituted grades/GPAs? Does the application substitute the course grades itself? 3) Can I figure my "new" GPA on the application, even without sending it?

4) Can I retake courses in a formal post-bacc program to replace my poor grades from undergrad (or do I have to retake courses during undergrad to replace poor grades from undergrad)? 5) Is there a time limit in retaking a course? Say, if I took my sophomore courses in 2004/2005 and if I retake them several years later in 2008-2010 during the post-bacc program, will those grades replace grades made in 2004/2005?

6) Also, what is everyone's thoughts on taking courses at a local community college? Is it possible to retake a course such as "personal finance" which I failed. What about retaking a couple of basic science courses there?

7) Also, I took a course twice during my sophomore year and first failed it, and then got a D the second time around (dont ask please :oops:). Can I still retake this course and will the new grade replace both the older grades or just one?

8) (Thanks for reading this far!) Do you know anyone who has retaken most of their C/D/F courses, and how much did it elevate their GPA?

9) Is there a resource or somewhere on the AACOMAS application where I can play around with my GPA and figure out ahead of time how many courses I need to retake in order to achieve a certain GPA?

My current GPA (according to *AMCAS): TOTAL 2.66/ BCMP 2.14

Thanks for your time!! I apologize for the multiple questions!

Hello all!

Hi. You have a lot of questions. I'll try to address them one by one:

I know that you can retake a course in which you did poorly on, and the most recent grade will replace the first one. 1) Does this apply to ALL courses: Science and non?

Yes.

2) When the admissions committees see the grades, do they also see the old scores and the old GPAs before the grade substitions, or do they just see the substituted grades/GPAs? Does the application substitute the course grades itself?

Since I've never seen an adcom copy of an AACOMAS application, I can't say for sure. However, my impression is that all course/grades will appear on your application, but your GPA will be calculated using only the latest repeats.

3) Can I figure my "new" GPA on the application, even without sending it?

AACOM used to have directions on how to calculate your GPA by hand, if you want to get some idea of what it will look like. You can find those instruction on the website. However, AACOM will not calculate your GPA unless you submit your completed application.

4) Can I retake courses in a formal post-bacc program to replace my poor grades from undergrad (or do I have to retake courses during undergrad to replace poor grades from undergrad)?

Yes, as long the courses are the same, or equivalent, you can consider it a repeat/retake.

5) Is there a time limit in retaking a course? Say, if I took my sophomore courses in 2004/2005 and if I retake them several years later in 2008-2010 during the post-bacc program, will those grades replace grades made in 2004/2005?

There is no time limit. You can retake the class whenever.

6) Also, what is everyone's thoughts on taking courses at a local community college? Is it possible to retake a course such as "personal finance" which I failed. What about retaking a couple of basic science courses there?

If that's the best choice for you, then there isn't anything you can do. My personal preference is to retake a class at a 4-yr institution just because it leaves no doubt whatsoever. However, if you have to take it at a community college, then it'll probably be fine. Do the best you can with the choices you have in front of you.

7) Also, I took a course twice during my sophomore year and first failed it, and then got a D the second time around (dont ask please :oops:). Can I still retake this course and will the new grade replace both the older grades or just one?

The newest retake will be used to calculate your GPA, but my understanding is that all course/grades will appear in your application.

8) (Thanks for reading this far!) Do you know anyone who has retaken most of their C/D/F courses, and how much did it elevate their GPA?

It's often worth retaking courses in which you don't perform well. I would definitely retake any courses that received a D, or lower. In addition, it is also good to take more advanced classes in the same, or similar subject, for the home run.

9) Is there a resource or somewhere on the AACOMAS application where I can play around with my GPA and figure out ahead of time how many courses I need to retake in order to achieve a certain GPA?

Refer to question 3.

My current GPA (according to *AMCAS): TOTAL 2.66/ BCMP 2.14

Before applying, I would definitely recommend retaking prerequisites in which you performed poorly, or failed, and then on top of that take several fulltime semesters of advanced science classes in which you get straight A's. That's going to do a lot to help you, in my opinion.

Thanks for your time!! I apologize for the multiple questions!

Hopefully I answered your questions. Good luck.

for primary apps when they ask for DO that are family . does it allow you to make a profile such as a brother who is a alum from an osteo school?? also does this help ones chances ?? to have 3 DOs in the family ??

for primary apps when they ask for DO that are family . does it allow you to make a profile such as a brother who is a alum from an osteo school?? also does this help ones chances ?? to have 3 DOs in the family ??

Yes. I think it helps. It will help show you are actually interested in Osteopathic medicine and not just applying because you "can't" get into a MD school.

Members don't see this ad :)
when do primary apps open ?? may 1 or june 1?

My school apparently sent out my transcripts on August 8th. AACOMAS has still not received them. Is this taking a while or is it me?

they usually dont post the date that they get them until 5 days later. they probably have already got them

After the score is released, what needs to be done so that AACOMAS gets the score? Is there an option on the THx site (after the score release) that allows you to send it to AACOMAS? Do the schools automatically get the scores through AACOMAS after that?
Thanks.

Yes there should be an option in THx -- that is how I sent mine.

I see. Thanks. So, after AACOMAS gets the score, the schools automatically get them, right?

I see. Thanks. So, after AACOMAS gets the score, the schools automatically get them, right?

Yep, but it can take a couple of weeks (this is what an Adcom at TOURO told me). If you are just waiting on your MCAT score you can call the schools and ask if it would be faster to send them a fax of your score report. Again, this is what TOURO recommended.

Good Luck :luck:

Yea you were right good call. They apparently got them the 9th.

So how long until they mail them to the schools and they calculate the gpa do you think?

Quick question, AACOMAs just received my last transcript, and I have since submitted my application (before transcripts all arrived) my app doesnt say anything on it though, like no status updates which is kind of worrying me like did I submit it right. Maybe im just crazy... Guess im wondering what order they follow now... like what should i look for a message from them, an email or something saying you're all good? just want to make sure I Sent it in right.
Any help is appreciated.

-Dan

Hey guys. I am hoping someone can let me know how to add more schools to my AACOMAS app...I originally submitted it in June but since then have found a few more that I am interested in applying to. How do I go about adding them???

Click on School Designations and then on the top left there will be a small addition sign next to add/update desginations. Click on that.

What are you guys taking to satisfy BEHAVORIAL SCIENCE?

I took these, but I think they are more of Social Science than Behavorial

Economics
Anthropology
Sociology: Race & Ethnicity

So I'm planning to take psychology to satisfy this requirement...

ANYONE KNOWS HOW TO UPDATE THE SCHOOL ON A NEW FUTURE CLASS IF IT IS NOT IN AACOMAS APP?

What are you guys taking to satisfy BEHAVORIAL SCIENCE?

I took these, but I think they are more of Social Science than Behavorial

Economics
Anthropology
Sociology: Race & Ethnicity

So I'm planning to take psychology to satisfy this requirement...

ANYONE KNOWS HOW TO UPDATE THE SCHOOL ON A NEW FUTURE CLASS IF IT IS NOT IN AACOMAS APP?

I think it depends largely on the school you are attending. Economics at my school was a business class (would count as an elective for anyone who is not in a business related field) anthropology was history/global awareness and Sociology was social sciences (which counted for a portion of the behavioral science requirement). I also took intro to psych and statistics/research methods in psychology. I was only required to take 2 behavioral science courses, but I took 3 because they cross listed some general education requirements.

As far as I can tell it will be the same (the science portion) and the overall because its the same point scale. I'm lucky because I won't be surprised but also damned if I do horribly because I know that going into the process.

Did you all single space and indent when you typed in your P.S.? I am getting ready to put mine in and I was wondering about it. Thanks alot!

I single spaced but didn't indent. Instead I left an empty line between each paragraph.

So basically you single spaced manually by hitting the enter button once after you completed the sentence. Thank you. Why didn't you indent?

Yep that's how I did it. I didn't indent because other people on here talked about just hitting enter twice after finishing a paragraph so that each paragraph is kind of separated from the others. It's only supposed to take a couple characters I believe. BTW, if you're copying your PS from Word into AACOMAS the character count will be different.

Nope. Typing right into the box from my paper. I can't chance any cut and paste screw-ups. :D I guess I really doesn't matter about the indentions and it just takes up more characters.

Nope. Typing right into the box from my paper. I can't chance any cut and paste screw-ups. :D I guess I really doesn't matter about the indentions and it just takes up more characters.

I think it's fine if you want to indent. Just make sure you do something to identify each new paragraph so it's not just one huge paragraph and difficult to read.

Hello,

I've been wondering for some time how to become a moderator. I've been an avid SDN forum reader for over 4 years now. Do any of the forums need another moderator? If so, I'd like to help.

Punchap

Sorry, but I couldn't find the answer to my question regarding my situation and AACOMAS GPA Calculations. Anyways, I'm debating whether or not to apply for Fall 2008 or wait till 2009. I had a question regarding GPA calculations and repeating failed courses at different colleges. I'll tell you my problem.

I haven't submitted anything yet, but I wanted to clarify a few things with you guys. While in high school, I took a General Chemistry Lab with AP Chemistry that I was doing at the time. The Gen Chem 1 lab course (1 credit only) was offered through the local community college. I did poorly and earned an 'F' in the course. After graduating high school, I went to and successfully completed my chemistry courses (Gen Chem 1 and 2 with Labs) at another college institution.

However, one summer (while staying at home) I took a course at the same school (community college) and managed to sucessfully complete that course and do very well, which transferred to my 4 yr. school. In order for my GPA calculations to be accurate, I understand that I must show all the courses that I've taken at that institution. I, therefore, have two questions.

1.) Will my GPA calculations be affected by the 'F' I received in that course even though I retook the equivalent of it at another school and did very well but did not retake the same course at that specific school?
2.) Is there anyway to have that 'F' disregarded from my application when applying through AACOMAS seeing as that 'F' was earned well before I even graduated high school?

Thanks for your time and I look forward to hearing from you shortly!

I just released my new July MCAT score to AACOMAS, and the scores were received yesterday (8/20). I'm wondering how long AACOMAS takes to send these new scores to all the schools. I might fax over an official copy of my scores to the schools if it would take less time...

I just released my new July MCAT score to AACOMAS, and the scores were received yesterday (8/20). I'm wondering how long AACOMAS takes to send these new scores to all the schools. I might fax over an official copy of my scores to the schools if it would take less time...

:thumbup: Yep, you should fax it over. I was advised by an Adcom member to fax my score over because AACOMAS can take up to 3 weeks to send it out. :D

Will it be ok to not indent, but double space between each new paragraph? I though it was supposed to be typed in like you would write it. :confused:
Hey ks2005, AACOMAS does grade substituiton. That second grade you got will replace the first one (F).

Will it be ok to not indent, but double space between each new paragraph? I though it was supposed to be typed in like you would write it. :confused:
Hey ks2005, AACOMAS does grade substituiton. That second grade you got will replace the first one (F).

can you even indent? i wouldn't allow me to, so i just hit a space between the paragraphs

That's what I did, just double spaced between paragraphs.

I searched for this question but did not find an answer. Does aacomas calculate courses taken at a community college level during high school into your freshman GPA?

I think they removed the classes I took at a community college while in high school because the units don't add up. But I'm not sure.

Thanks

hey everyone,

I don't know where to ask this, so i'm just going to ask here. I submitted my aacomas and included MSU in there. I want to switch another school in for MSU just because of its ridiculous demands and of course the OOS tuition. Will I get charged for an additional school? thanks in advance.

It had the date the transcript was received all this time for you or it hadn't? And did you just get a message about this now? I mean, all I did was fax a request to be sent to the AACOMAS address given to my school, no AACOMAS ID though, is that bad?
DangQ3 I would just assume that if they've received your payment already you will be charged again for adding another school. You should inquire them about this.

Is it possible for AACOMAS science GPA caluculation to be lower than AMCAS:confused: doesn't AACOMAS take in account repeated courses, but AMCAS does not???

Status
Not open for further replies.