***2007-2008 Application Season*** Post all application questions here! Part I

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it possible for AACOMAS science GPA caluculation to be lower than AMCAS:confused: doesn't AACOMAS take in account repeated courses, but AMCAS does not???

Yes. Math is not a factor in the AACOMAs science gpa calculation

Members don't see this ad.

Question:

AACOMAS has received all of my transcripts a few days ago. I have yet to receive a status update though (such as: we have received all of your scripts, now you are in the process of verificiation). I was wondering if this is normal. I'll just be waiting another 2 weeks or so for GPA calc right? Or should I have received an email at this point with some sort of update.

Question:

AACOMAS has received all of my transcripts a few days ago. I have yet to receive a status update though (such as: we have received all of your scripts, now you are in the process of verificiation). I was wondering if this is normal. I'll just be waiting another 2 weeks or so for GPA calc right? Or should I have received an email at this point with some sort of update.

If I remember correctly, when you click on transcripts it should say "recieved" and the date. They don't email you about anything until you e-submit after your done with everything. All your transcripts are in and verified when your gpa calculation is accessable. Until that time, its just a wait.

Members don't see this ad :)
I had e-submitted before all of my transcripts were received... and paid the balance too.
All 3 transcripts of mine were received... So its a 3-6 week wait from the date of the last transcript right? before verification?

Question:

I think they normally update on a weekly basis.

how long does it take them to send the MCAT scores to all the DO schools ? Anyone know how this works ?

just out of curiosity...

i was glancing at my primary and am wondering,

what is a good amount of extracurricular experiences/volunteer things to have? how many jobs should we list?

I'm not sure if i'm overdoing or underdoing it...does anyone know how many is too many? or too little?

Quality is better then quantity. ;)

So I recently got this message in my inbox:

Please note that your MCAT scores are linked to your AACOMAS application using your Social Security number or the nine digit number assigned by the MCAT if you did not enter a Social Security number when you signed up for the MCAT. If the appropriate number is not entered in the Social Security number field of your AACOMAS application it may delay processing. If this applies to you, please log into your AACOMAS account as soon as possible and click on the account information link on the left side of the main menu. From here you will be able to add either your Social Security number or the MCAT assigned number.

Is my "MCAT assigned number" the same as my AAMC ID #? That is all I see when I log in to the MCAT registration site...plus my AAMC ID is only 8 digits and i need a 9 digit # to enter into the website.
Can anyone help? Thanks a lot!!

Can you fill out some form so that AACOMAS gets the scores right away just like AMCAS ?

To the moderator - please dont move this topic. The last time you moved this topic to some obscure place noone answered it. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
ellaB, just put your 9 digit social security # into your account information.

Does anyone remember how long it took to get posted that your signature page was received on their website? I sent mine via priority mail 8/2 and it was received on 8/8, but still no change on the status page. Thanks

My application status is "Not Mailed" but I have recently registered for two classes (Biochem and Comp Vert Phys) at a college near my home (I graduated in the Spring). Should I send the transcripts from the school that I will be taking these classes at even though it might hold up my application?

Or should I send the transcripts to all 8 schools that I have applied to individually?

*Please Don't put this in the gigantic application thread, everything gets lost in there because there are far too many topics going on at once.

My application status is "Not Mailed" but I have recently registered for two classes (Biochem and Comp Vert Phys) at a college near my home (I graduated in the Spring). Should I send the transcripts from the school that I will be taking these classes at even though it might hold up my application?

Or should I send the transcripts to all 8 schools that I have applied to individually?

*Please Don't put this in the gigantic application thread, everything gets lost in there because there are far too many topics going on at once.

Okay I'm confused. You haven't taken these classes yet right? If you attended that college before then AACOMAS should already have your transcript in order to calculate your GPA. If you haven't attended it yet then I don't see why the schools need a transcript or if you would even have one.

I think that maybe you should send them letters to let them know that you are taking more classes (I'm guessing you already got your degree) if you didnt put that anywhere in your secondary. Then when you get your grades, at the end of December some time, send them transcripts if you have yet to hear from the school with an interview invite, and also DEF send them in if you had an interview but didnt hear back yet.

This is at least my plan, as I am taking some post-bacc classes right now (actually a full 16 credits :scared:)

If you haven't attended it yet then I don't see why the schools need a transcript or if you would even have one.

Well there would be a transcript- just no completed grades on it.

I think that maybe you should send them letters to let them know that you are taking more classes (I'm guessing you already got your degree) if you didnt put that anywhere in your secondary.

I havent sent in my secondaries yet- I suppose I will add it in there and send them the transcript when the grades come in. This process takes forever anyways.

Thanks

Yeah I would definitely wait to send the transcript once you've finished the classes. You can always include that information on the secondaries if there's room for it and you save yourself a little cash in the meantime.

i think i read on University of North Texas College of Osteopathic Medicine's website that the application deadline for their "TMDSAS Application is October 1, 2007."
I don't know what TMDSAS means...is that meant for the graduate program in biomedical sciences or is it meant for their doctor of osteopathy program?

Here is a link to the page that is generating this confusion, if you can help clear some of it--I'd love to hear from you!

Thanks,
Matt

i think i read on University of North Texas College of Osteopathic Medicine's website that the application deadline for their "TMDSAS Application is October 1, 2007."
I don't know what TMDSAS means...is that meant for the graduate program in biomedical sciences or is it meant for their doctor of osteopathy program?

Here is a link to the page that is generating this confusion, if you can help clear some of it--I'd love to hear from you!

Thanks,
Matt

TCOM doesn't go through AACOMAS like other osteopathic medical schools. Instead, it uses TMDSAS like the rest of the schools in the University of Texas system.

Thanks,
Matt

TMDSAS is only to apply to Texas medical and dental schools (TCOM in this case). In order to apply to the biomedical sciences program you would apply directly through the school.

I would check with AACOMAS, you may only need to send those transcripts into the school that you are accepted into.

A word of advice to all the students applying. If you are a college student and want to know what extra courses to take that will help you in medical school. Take Anatomy and physiology, biochemistry, genetics, cell and molecular biology. Having a basic understanding of these courses will only help you.

I think I saw this asked somewhere on here before but I can't find it.

Does "processed" mean my application has been mailed?

I think I saw this asked somewhere on here before but I can't find it.

Does "processed" mean my application has been mailed?

That's what I'm trying to figure it out. I thought maybe it was the step right before being mailed. Today mine says processed but also has the mailing date listed as 9/3/07 so I'm not sure. My husband said that they should make it more clear and label them either mailed or fixin' to be mailed. :laugh:

I'm not sure if this question has been asked, but if a secondary has a spot for a picture (even though it's optional) should you submitt one? I was hoping to send mine out tomorrow, but if I need the picture I'll have to wait until I can get some taken.

I'm not sure if this question has been asked, but if a secondary has a spot for a picture (even though it's optional) should you submitt one? I was hoping to send mine out tomorrow, but if I need the picture I'll have to wait until I can get some taken.

Himm, I am not sure. I forgot to send one to AZCOM and got an interview.

Also, if there are multiple essays (like in the UNECOM secondary) do you do each on a separate sheet of paper, and number them? I just have mine on separate sheets, but they're not numbered or labeled ora nything.

Does anybody know if Wildlife Science courses count toward the science GPA?

Biology maybe? I took entomology and that counted as biology...

If the class is considered to be a part of the Biology Department (BIOL) then it can be considered a "core science course" and considered in the science GPA, otherwise, it is considered an "other science course" and is not configured into the Science GPA. Only classes subtitled BIOL CHEM PHYS are considered part of the Science GPA. If there are specific variations or exceptions on that you would have to call or e-mail the AACOMAS.

I took Genetics through the Agronomy department and that counted for Science no problem.

Courses designated as other science will be calculated into your science GPA. You may somewhat designate your courses as you wish. For instance, I designated a Soil Physics course taken through the department of Geology and cross-listed as Natural Resources as Physics. There was absolutely no problem with that with AACOMAS. If I had wanted to, I probably could have designated my Isotope Hydrology or Chemistry of Natural Waters courses as Chemistry and there wouldn't have been an issue. If the course sounds like it could also be a Biology course or whatnot, it can most likely be counted as whatever you wish.

If the class is considered to be a part of the Biology Department (BIOL) then it can be considered a "core science course" and considered in the science GPA, otherwise, it is considered an "other science course" and is not configured into the Science GPA. Only classes subtitled BIOL CHEM PHYS are considered part of the Science GPA. If there are specific variations or exceptions on that you would have to call or e-mail the AACOMAS.

I dont think that is right. When I read the AACOMAS instructions, it said that all of the classes Bio, Chem, Phys, along with the "other science" classes will be calculated into science gpa.

Im starting to think I should alert the schools that I am taking these classes before I get secondary invites. For one reason UNECOM has a biochem requirement, so they might reject me before a secondary no?

And I also applied to St. George and they want an official transcript sent now before they decide whether to give me an interview or not.

My app is nearly complete and ready to be submitted to AACOMAS. My only shortcoming (aside from my crummy MCAT) is that I'm not completely finished with my essay yet...and that could possibly take me another week or so...sorry, but writing just isn't my thing.

In order to speed up my processing...can I just submit to AACOMAS with something like 1 school checked...and when they are done processing simply update my app to include my essay, and then send it to the schools I'm actually interested in?

I'm figuring that it's gonna take AACOMAS 4-6 weeks to process my app...I might as well get it in as soon as possible...and use their 4-6 weeks to polish my essay.

Yes...No...You're an idiot OlyWa?

My app is nearly complete and ready to be submitted to AACOMAS. My only shortcoming (aside from my crummy MCAT) is that I'm not completely finished with my essay yet...and that could possibly take me another week or so...sorry, but writing just isn't my thing.

In order to speed up my processing...can I just submit to AACOMAS with something like 1 school checked...and when they are done processing simply update my app to include my essay, and then send it to the schools I'm actually interested in?

I'm figuring that it's gonna take AACOMAS 4-6 weeks to process my app...I might as well get it in as soon as possible...and use their 4-6 weeks to polish my essay.

Yes...No...You're an idiot OlyWa?

How do you know it won't take them another 4-6 weeks to reprocess your application once you add the essay?

Would it take another 'processing period'?

I thought the 4-6 weeks was due to processing of transcripts...not essays and stuff...

I don't think you can even change anything except school designations once it's all submitted.

I don't think you can even change anything except school designations once it's all submitted.

EEL08 is right! I totally didn't think of that... You cannot update anything, you can only submit to more schools.

I know that for the most part DO schools require social sciences....so psychology would be a given..but what else are they looking for? Would sociology or classes like women studies meet this requirement? What about classes like microeconomics?

For someone that wants to meet this requirement what would be the classes to take that would meet most DO school requirements?

Thanks!

I know that for the most part DO schools require social sciences....so psychology would be a given..but what else are they looking for? Would sociology or classes like women studies meet this requirement? What about classes like microeconomics?

For someone that wants to meet this requirement what would be the classes to take that would meet most DO school requirements?

Thanks!

Look at the main schools you are interested in and see what their specific pre-reqs are. Each school will differ a bit, but they all will have the same basic few. For example, OSU-CHS doesn't have any social science pre-reqs but your school may require some. To be safe, stick with Psychology and Sociology. That should pretty much fulfill the requirements.

AACOMAS has calculated my many GPA's. Does this mean that I have been verified, and should expect to have my application mailed out to my designated schools soon? Or is there more that I have to wait on?

For anyone who is interested...

BCPM GPA: 3.26
Overall GPA: 2.68
Post-bac Cumulative GPA: 3.413 (80 semester-hours)
Post-bac Science GPA: 3.403 (72 semester-hours)

To go along with 10PS/11VR/12BS/P on the MCAT

So what killed me in undergrad the first time?

"Other non-science": 87 semester-hours at a 2.011

I would try your best to not stress about the essay. I'm fairly certain that many pre-meds feel their writing is a weakness. I would sit down with a cup of coffee, churn it out, have one or two people edit/comment, submit it and be done. You'll feel better afterward. I did. If you need an extra pair of eyes, PM me with your essay and I can comment/edit. Good luck.

Also, in addition to school designations...AACOMAS will add new MCAT scores to the original draft of your primary.

Yep you're verified. I was verified 8/31 and my app was sent to the schools on 9/3.

Status
Not open for further replies.