***2007-2008 Application Season*** Post Application Questions HERE! Part II

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm applying to Princeton's Medical School....they don't check.

So your wrong.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm applying to Princeton's Medical School....they don't check.

So your wrong.

we're not talking about if they will or will not check. we're talking about if they CAN. yes you can lie on your application and some lies CAN go by undetected. for instance, "fluffing" your EC list. adcomms most likely will not check if you actually did volunteer in somolia and reattach someone's leg. but the possibility still arises, and if it does, the OP risks a chance at getting his admission revoked... even after 3 years of med school.

we're not talking about if they will or will not check. we're talking about if they CAN. yes you can lie on your application and some lies CAN go by undetected. for instance, "fluffing" your EC list. adcomms most likely will not check if you actually did volunteer in somolia and reattach someone's leg. but the possibility still arises, and if it does, the OP risks a chance at getting his admission revoked... even after 3 years of med school.

relax....i'm just kiddin' :) Princeton does not even have a medical school

You are 100% correct...I would not fool around with leaving out transcripts....the alternative is guilt, grief and problematic.

Members don't see this ad :)
i agree that everything should be sent in

I was thinking about asking If its too late to add more schools to my AACOMAS, but I guess its not. :thumbup:

My list of new schools: LMUDCOM, LECOM-B, ATSOMA.

(I have completed the NOVA secondary, but for some reason have been holding on to it for 2 weeks, I don't know why. I guess I am just to broke right now :()

How late am I if I submitted AACOMAS last week?

Can anyone tell me the turn around time for getting secondaries after AACOMAS mails your application? I was verified and mailed last week but haven't heard anything yet. And does anyone know what the cuttoffs are getting secondaries? Or where to find that info?

Can anyone tell me the turn around time for getting secondaries after AACOMAS mails your application? I was verified and mailed last week but haven't heard anything yet. And does anyone know what the cuttoffs are getting secondaries? Or where to find that info?

It depends on the school. Some will send you an automated email with a link to their secondary, while others screen secondaries and then send you a invite. Give it at least a couple of weeks.

You can find all of the secondary deadline dates and lots more useful info here: http://www.aacom.org/colleges/

Good Luck :luck:

If you are talking about cut-off's for receiving secondaries, most can be found on the schools websites.

Off the top of my head:

Most schools have either a 3.0 or a 2.7 GPA cutoff.

TOURO (all 3 campuses) has a 23 MCAT cutoff (although, it is not set in stone).

UNECOM: 18M MCAT

MSU: 18 MCAT

I can't think of anymore . . .

Thanks...thats helpful. I am losing my mind over this! I'm worried about applying so late in the cycle...

Thanks...thats helpful. I am losing my mind over this! I'm worried about applying so late in the cycle...

I would definitely not call it late right now. Remember, most schools have secondary deadlines in April/March!

You'll be in good shape if you are complete by late November/early December. Just make sure you are ready to roll. Hopefully, you already have your LOR's, MCAT score, etc. and all you have to do is fill out those secondaries and send them in! :D

do they compute GPAs the same way AMCAS does or will they replace your retakes like a university does?

Thanks.

do they compute GPAs the same way AMCAS does or will they replace your retakes like a university does?

Thanks.

They replace retakes and your science gpa does not include math.

Members don't see this ad :)

Thanks.

They do replace retakes (if you repeat a class, they only count the most recent attempt . . . not the one with the best grade).

They also use a BCP (no math) instead of a BCPM to calculate your "science" GPA.

Good Luck :luck:

thanks guys/gals :)

I must say I like my BCP better than my BCPM ;)

Is ugrad and grad gpa calculated together in your overall or is it only calculated separately?

PlAnEjaNe

Prions, when I first glanced at your avatar, I thought it was an ad for a "fleshlight." :laugh:

Hi, In ACCOMAS website, for transcript entering for courses that you are currently taking, I only have one and for this school I only have one course. Then when I submit the application, the status for transcript of this school, not even the school name is listed. I wonder should I submit the transcript of this school even though there is no grade on it or will ACCOMAS will go ahead of processing my application without it since the school is not listed on the status.

thanks

Your best bet is to call/email AACOMAS and ask so that you don't get it wrong and delay the processing of your application.

AACOMAS
301-968-4190
[email protected]

Thanks a lot. Just called and they said my application is complete, and have been processed for a week. But they say it takes a month to evaluate the score and everything..........Why it takes sooo long?
So My application will not be done until Dec 5, and it takes a week to send out to school.............And they will review my file at mid december..............Isn't it late? I know according to deadline.....I am 2 months ahead...but so many have gotten accepted....I have applied to 15 DO schools....don't know if there is any space left or giving me any interview chance...

Your best bet is to call/email AACOMAS and ask so that you don't get it wrong and delay the processing of your application.

AACOMAS
301-968-4190
[email protected]

Nah, not late...but don't delay on those secondaries. You should look up all the essay questions now and have them ready to go for a quick turnaround when you receive them.

Lots of schools say to keep them updated with phone numbers and addresses via AACOMAS.. I figure that on top of sending a letter to all schools about when I will be in Hong Kong and how is best to contact me (email) I should do it on AACOMAS also.. where would I put this info.. and how do I update the application without paying the fee's to resend the app to all schools I applied to? For grades I am pretty sure you just send an updated transcript to AACOMAS and they send it out to schools, am i correct in this assumption?

thanks!

Lots of schools say to keep them updated with phone numbers and addresses via AACOMAS.. I figure that on top of sending a letter to all schools about when I will be in Hong Kong and how is best to contact me (email) I should do it on AACOMAS also.. where would I put this info.. and how do I update the application without paying the fee's to resend the app to all schools I applied to? For grades I am pretty sure you just send an updated transcript to AACOMAS and they send it out to schools, am i correct in this assumption?

thanks!

Wait so your apps have been sent to all the schools right? I would mainly just worry about contacting each school with your updated information. Honestly I don't see why it would need to be through AACOMAS because you're just going out of the country, you're not exactly moving. I would just contact each school and explain the situation and give them the updated info and tell them what time period it is for, then just contact them again once you get back.

:oops:thanks eel08, you are right.. thanks for being the only person to ever reply to my posts!! haha:love:

:oops:thanks eel08, you are right.. thanks for being the only person to ever reply to my posts!! haha:love:

No problem. :) No one else replies because they know I'm the wisest one on here and are just waiting to see the amazing things I have to say. :laugh:

OK I know I'm late in the application process, but I just decided to apply a few days ago. I have my personal statement complete and am now working on the activity/volunteer/work experience descriptions. How long should each one be? What type of information should I include? I read on the MD forums that for the MD app you are supposed to write about what you did, how it was meaningful to you, etc. Does this also apply to the DO application service? I'm a bit confused.

Thanks for any advice!

Just don't write that you are adding DO programs at the last minute because you don't think you'll get into an MD school.

That would be bad.

also, you can take a look at some of the regular posters' mdapps profiles to see what they include in their apps.

Just don't write that you are adding DO programs at the last minute because you don't think you'll get into an MD school.

That would be bad.

also, you can take a look at some of the regular posters' mdapps profiles to see what they include in their apps.

wow.

but yeah, all i did was copy and paste my aacomas app into my aamcas app.

I haven't applied to any MD programs fyi, I just decided that I couldnt wait till next year to apply ;)

thanks for the advice

PS: where on mdapps can I see work experience description length? I have no idea. as of now I used almost the entire char. limit for each one to describe it to best of my ability. then did a sentence or 2 for each about how it impacted me/what I learned etc

yay or nay?

thanks

personally,i wouldn't go into what you learned from it. unless it changed your life. for me, I put down playing music, and kind of went into detail, but my actual jobs and volunteer stuff, I just listed it. Take it for what it's worth, people who read this stuff, glance at the stuff. and annoying them this late in the game is probably a bad thing

as of now I used almost the entire char. limit for each one to describe it to best of my ability. then did a sentence or 2 for each about how it impacted me/what I learned etc

yay or nay?

About half of my work experience & volunteer descriptions took up the entire length, or close to it. I wanted to describe everything and made sure that I included all the work I did and was involved with, because this is the only chance to really explain these experiences. It's good to make sure that they are aware of all the hours and hard work you put into these experiences; you don't want to short-change yourself. On the other side, don't just ramble on and try to fill up the space with the maximum amount of characters, because it's easy to do that. My approach for these descriptions was "try to be concise" because you're limited in space. For more significant and impacting experiences, I wrote more, but for other shorter and self-explanatory experiences (like a tutoring job) I wrote less because I didn't have a whole lot to say.

I would definitely include your own response/feelings/reactions for each experience, or at the very least say what you personally gained from it (eg it taught you discipline, responsibility, time management, organizational skills, etc).

i basically just copied and pasted my revised resume, in bullet form basically to make sure it's short and sweet. I know other people write full on paragraphs for some of these things, I didn't think they'd bother reading it to be honest, obviously, I explained things when necessary, but for my computer jobs, there is no point in writing a longwinded sentence on something they probably can't comprehend anyhow, so I just listed it. I bullet pointed my basic volunteer stuff too, I EXPLAINED it in the secondaries....just my 2cents. Again, the only thing I wrote 2 sentences on was my hobbies/true EC's.

My traveling and my playing in a band/musical were explained in 3 sentences each. First was history, 2nd was accomplishments (backpacked south east asia solo, toured and released records with my band), and 3rd why it's shaped me the person I am. nothing more, nothing less.

Just got the GPA verification back from AACOMAS...don't know what happened....something is bad.
For Science only 3.31, even though with upward trend with senior being 3.657.
For Non-science, only 3.263 with senior being 4.0
Total hours is 168 hours, cGPA 3.298.
MCAP is 27P. One publication in Proteins, 5 great LOR, two from science, one from humanity, two MD.
Moderate hospital volunteer experiences and a few scholarships and awards. Four research lab experiences.
The score just got verified, so I would be getting a few secondary soon. I have applied to 15 DO schools. I really wish to just get in one at least.
Is it possible? What should I do?

You'll get some looks. They will like the upward trend.

I'd be optimistic if I were you. I have VERY similar stats and have been accepted to two places. Good luck!

Better stats than me (GPA wise anyway, MCAT was 27 S) and I got accepted to 2 schools! Don't give up!

I'd be optimistic if I were you. I have VERY similar stats and have been accepted to two places. Good luck!
Hi, what kind of stats you have if you don't mind and what school you have been accepted?

thanks