***2007-2008 Application Season*** Post Application Questions HERE! Part II

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Better stats than me (GPA wise anyway, MCAT was 27 S) and I got accepted to 2 schools! Don't give up!

Hi, what kind of stats you have if you don't mind and what school you have been accepted?

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Just got the GPA verification back from AACOMAS...don't know what happened....something is bad.
For Science only 3.31, even though with upward trend with senior being 3.657.
For Non-science, only 3.263 with senior being 4.0
Total hours is 168 hours, cGPA 3.298.
MCAP is 27P. One publication in Proteins, 5 great LOR, two from science, one from humanity, two MD.
Moderate hospital volunteer experiences and a few scholarships and awards. Four research lab experiences.
The score just got verified, so I would be getting a few secondary soon. I have applied to 15 DO schools. I really wish to just get in one at least.
Is it possible? What should I do?

Don't worry too much. You have a really great shot! Was the gpa a shock? Did you not calculate it yourself?

dude what da heck are you worried for? your stats are fine for do schools. i'm sure you'll get in somewhere especially since you applied to FIFTEEN different do schools. most of them probably have matriculant's averages below your numbers.

Members don't see this ad :)
don't be discouraged, there are certainly elements in your application that adcoms will look favorably upon. it's not all about GPA/MCAT... good luck!:luck:

Are we supposed to send another transcript to AACOMAS after this fall semester if over?? If so, do they update our GPA and send the new info to the schools??

Are we supposed to send another transcript to AACOMAS after this fall semester if over?? If so, do they update our GPA and send the new info to the schools??

I was wondering the exact same thing

If you're already accepted and know where you're going, you can just send it to that school. If you're undecided, you can send it to AACOMAS and they'll forward it. Also, just so you know, you can email AACOMAS with these sorts of questions and they'll give straight-forward answers, which is helpful in comparison to some of the sarcastic, useless responses some people give here.

email AACOMAS with these sorts of questions and they'll give straight-forward answers, which is helpful in comparison to some of the sarcastic, useless responses some people give here.

Wow. Was just passing by and noticed...;). I had the same question also, so thanks.

If you're already accepted and know where you're going, you can just send it to that school. If you're undecided, you can send it to AACOMAS and they'll forward it. Also, just so you know, you can email AACOMAS with these sorts of questions and they'll give straight-forward answers, which is helpful in comparison to some of the sarcastic, useless responses some people give here.

Thanks a million for your completely useful, unsarcastic response:love:

If you have a particular interest, be sure to follow up with that school. I think AACOMAS is good about forwarding, but I've definitely encountered a disconnect at some of the schools with regard to updates.

whats the hoplessness about ?
your stats are good for DO programs (and even good for some lower tier MD schools)

there are people (from here SDN) who have gotten acceptances with stats lower than yours

good luck

Just got the GPA verification back from AACOMAS...don't know what happened....something is bad.
MCAP is 27P. One publication in Proteins, 5 great LOR, two from science, one from humanity, two MD.
Moderate hospital volunteer experiences and a few scholarships and awards. Four research lab experiences.
The score just got verified, so I would be getting a few secondary soon. I have applied to 15 DO schools. I really wish to just get in one at least.

This almost sounds like some of that crap I read in the pre-allo section:sleep:

This almost sounds like some of that crap I read in the pre-allo section:sleep:

Hey Toohotinvegas,
How did you get that stethoscope on your "Simpson's" avatar? I don't remember seeing an option to put that on when I did mine. That's a nice touch.

Members don't see this ad :)
So AACOMAS has my transcripts and MCAT...marked 11/19 and 11/26, respectively. Payments were made on 11/12. My GPA calculation is not up yet though...is am I at the part of the process where i just have to wait for someone to get to my file and post it? If so, how long is the wait typically?

By some chance, is there some authorization or something I have to give and maybe im not seeing it?

Yeah, nothing will show up for your GPA until everything is verified. Then a date and calcs will show up and a date when they sent everything out will be up too.

Id say you should see something around Dec. 10th or so.. thats how long mine took after submitting $$

I agree with everyone else...you shouldn't be worried at all. Practice your interviewing skills, put a lot of work into your secondaries, and really think about why you are doing this. You are going to be fine. As already commented by many others, I had an abysmal MCAT score and have been accepted at two schools. Don't get yourself down on little details - you'll be fine!

So AACOMAS has my transcripts and MCAT...marked 11/19 and 11/26, respectively. Payments were made on 11/12. My GPA calculation is not up yet though...is am I at the part of the process where i just have to wait for someone to get to my file and post it? If so, how long is the wait typically?

By some chance, is there some authorization or something I have to give and maybe im not seeing it?

No, there's no authorization, it's just a waiting game now. It should be processed and mailed the first or second week in December. I can sense your frustration because I'm going through the same thing waiting for secondaries now. You should check out the "Late Bloomers" thread. I posted the dates of my progress from AACOMAS on there, including each step from transcripts and mcat scores to gpa calc.

...and--I only under-estimated my GPA by .02 :idea:
anyhow, this is the last thing that needed to happen before my application was good to be sent out. Now I am just wondering how long it took some of your guys' apps to be sent out once you had everything on it complete (aside from the "designations" part)?
-matt

For me it took two more very, very long days before the app went out to schools.

For me... calculated 10/1, sent 10/7

...and--I only under-estimated my GPA by .02 :idea:
anyhow, this is the last thing that needed to happen before my application was good to be sent out. Now I am just wondering how long it took some of your guys' apps to be sent out once you had everything on it complete (aside from the "designations" part)?
-matt

Hey, we're in a pretty similar situation. My aacomas primary was just recently mailed to the schools, and I just received my first secondary application and it's from Western. My gpa was calculated 11/21 and mailed/processed 11/25 (a sunday...weird). Then I just received my secondary today 11/30. Those five days waiting for a secondary are brutal. It's so ridiculously hard to be patient with this process!

As we are now in December, is it too late to apply to DO schools? I am a re-applicant to the MD schools, and its not looking good this year either...I am thinking about doing the DO thing, but do I still have time?

There are 2 things I would like to say to your post..

First of all, no. It is not too late to apply. I would say that you should have better than average stats (but only slightly) as the COMs are already sending out acceptances.

Secondly, and this was said to me by a very wise person named Roger Corbman, I would say don't go to a school just because you think you can get in. You should go where is a good fit for you. When you said "I am thinking about doing the DO thing," I heard the siren that said you just want to go somewhere. While I hope you do get in, remember that Osteopathy is a philosophy. Do not go somewhere just to go. Go where you will learn the best.

With that said, I bid you good luck! ^.^ If you need any help, let me know!

Pipe down. I think we've almost got this one. By the time he figures out our plan, it will be too late!

going-to-chambr-of-sekrets.jpg

oh nooz! your voodoo techniques!! :D

but actually, i have researched the DO path, and I prefer the preventive med aspect about it, so I know what I will be getting myself into.

um, BCLumas, here are my stats:
Graduated from an ivy leauge
3.55 science, 3.49 all other
28 MCAT
EMT for 3 years, ER rotation, Shadowed 2 docs, CPR instructor, Neurobio research, Biochem TA, Astrobio research

oh nooz! your voodoo techniques!! :D

but actually, i have researched the DO path, and I prefer the preventive med aspect about it, so I know what I will be getting myself into.

um, BCLumas, here are my stats:
Graduated from an ivy leauge
3.55 science, 3.49 all other
28 MCAT
EMT for 3 years, ER rotation, Shadowed 2 docs, CPR instructor, Neurobio research, Biochem TA, Astrobio research

Good stats... have you shadowed a DO?

I'm going to be cynical here, but are you sure you have good LORs and a good PS? Those stats, granted you applied wisely, should have gotten you a look or two and probably an acceptance. You're stats are a good shot for most if not all DO schools, but as JPC mentioned, you should have shadowed a DO in order to get the coveted LOR. Its a bit late in the cycle, but something could happen.

So its December 3rd now and I havent heard anything back from my schools except that they are waiting for my semester grades to come to them. I am finishing up my last couple of pre-med courses and they are done this week. How much of a shot do I still have at schools looking into my application? Just looking for some info. Thanks all!!

Crohnie

Well if schools are telling you that they are waiting for your grades from this semester to come in, then obviously, you won't hear much from them until your grades for this semester come in.

Well if schools are telling you that they are waiting for your grades from this semester to come in, then obviously, you won't hear much from them until your grades for this semester come in.

What he said, and when did you apply?

Well I should elaborate a little more. I got that message from VCOM saying that they are going to wait for my semester grades, which is fine. I also applied to PCOM, LECOM, and a few others and all of my applications were complete by September 7th. I got notice from all of the schools stating that they had received my application and I am in the "review" period. Haven't heard back from any school since. I know individuals were talking about Dec. 14th being an important date and maybe after that it could be a possibility of getting an interview.

Crohnie

With those stats you should have at least gotten a look somewhere... Do you trust your letter writers? Do you have anything glaringly wrong with your app that would make you iffy?

Do you know the super secret DO ninja handshake? You will have to shadow a DO to learn it. Plus most school require a LOR from a DO (cant be an MD LOR) so that would knock out two birds with one stone...

With those stats you should have at least gotten a look somewhere... Do you trust your letter writers? Do you have anything glaringly wrong with your app that would make you iffy?

Do you know the super secret DO ninja handshake? You will have to shadow a DO to learn it. Plus most school require a LOR from a DO (cant be an MD LOR) so that would knock out two birds with one stone...

oh, no i haven't even sent in the primary application for AACOMAS, i was asking if i apply now, would there still be time in this application cycle. As for the LORs, I do trust my letter writers and am very close to them. One is from my Nuerobiology research professor (writing a paper to publish right now to Chem sciences, primary author). The other is my Biochem professor for which I TAed his class, and the last is another professor at my college. I dont have any LORs from any docs be it MD or DO

Secondly, and this was said to me by a very wise person named Roger Corbman, I would say don't go to a school just because you think you can get in.

I :love: Roger Corbman. I'd almost go to his school JUST because he's so awesome. That is all. I'll butt out now.

Plus most school require a LOR from a DO (cant be an MD LOR) so that would knock out two birds with one stone...

I have a committee LOR from my college's premed committee which they complied from my three other LOR's

I'm going to be cynical here, but are you sure you have good LORs and a good PS? Those stats, granted you applied wisely, should have gotten you a look or two and probably an acceptance. You're stats are a good shot for most if not all DO schools, but as JPC mentioned, you should have shadowed a DO in order to get the coveted LOR. Its a bit late in the cycle, but something could happen.

I'm pretty sure that's not true. I think most schools accept an MD letter. Correct me if i'm wrong here.

Dec 14 is an important date because if you have been accepted before then, you have until Dec 14th to put down a deposit for next years class. So the people that have multiple acceptances should be letting go of those extra spots that they have unless they want to put down many thousands of dollars to hold multiple spots. So more spots should be opening up after that date basically. Have you contacted the schools you are applying to and asked them whats up?

I'm pretty sure that's not true. I think most schools accept an MD letter. Correct me if i'm wrong here.
Well, definitely not the majority, but the two DO schools I applied to would not accept an MD letter only. They explicitly said that one of the letters has to be from a DO, but we will accept MD letters as well as long as you have the DO letter. So it was a must have. I'm sure there are other DO schools like this as well...

If it makes you feel better LECOM takes a long time to process apps... mine took almost 2 months....

wait so is there a list of which schools absolutely require a letter of rec from a DO?

Im thinking of applying to:
PCOM
CCOM (I know they do)
NYCOM
Western Univ COM of Pacific
MSUCOM
UMDNJ

oh, no i haven't even sent in the primary application for AACOMAS, i was asking if i apply now, would there still be time in this application cycle. As for the LORs, I do trust my letter writers and am very close to them. One is from my Nuerobiology research professor (writing a paper to publish right now to Chem sciences, primary author). The other is my Biochem professor for which I TAed his class, and the last is another professor at my college. I dont have any LORs from any docs be it MD or DO
I would definitely check the specific schools youa re applying to and make sure that the deadline for the primary isnt passed yet. As for the secondaries, most schools are sometime between now and March I think. So that you will have to check on. It might be better for you to find some clinical volunteer or paid work and do that until next July and apply super early next year. Or keep working as an EMT for now. I know it sucks, but its awful late to apply..... On the other hand, all they can say is no, try again next year, so if you have the extra little bit of money around, apply away and hope for the best.

As we are now in December, is it too late to apply to DO schools? I am a re-applicant to the MD schools, and its not looking good this year either...I am thinking about doing the DO thing, but do I still have time?

No, I don't think it's too late. I submitted my primary application in mid October, and I just got an interview invite today. You're not going to know until you try. Don't give up!

just checked, the only 2 schools of which deadlines have passed are UNTHSC/TCOM and MSUCOM

Countthestars.. I am sooooo sorry that I have not responded in a while, I have just been caught up dealing with an absolute beligerent invalid on another forum that I... I will digress.

ANYWAYS, I will say that your application looks very strong, but I agree with all of the above posters. Make sure you have shadowed a DO and get him/her to write you a strong letter of recommendation. Also, make sure you know for sure which ones. Go to http://aacom.org/colleges/index.asp and see under each school if a DO letter is required.

Good luck to you! ^.^