***2007-2008 Application Season*** Post Application Questions HERE! Part II

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'd say go for it if you really want to. And if you don't get in there is always next year (I myself am a re-applicant). Just keep in mind how expensive the process is, and if you do have to do it again just make sure you start early.

Shadowing a DO would be in your best interest. You can check individual school websites to see if the DO letter is required or just strongly suggested. If you need help finding a DO to shadow you can check out this site:

http://www.osteopathic.org/directory.cfm

Other than that I agree with others that your stats look good. Many of the schools I interviewed at like to see applicants with actual hands-on clinical experience, which being an EMT obviously gives you.

Best of luck!

Members don't see this ad.

I'd say go for it if you really want to. And if you don't get in there is always next year (I myself am a re-applicant). Just keep in mind how expensive the process is, and if you do have to do it again just make sure you start early.

Im a re-applicant from last year. Last year I only applied to MD schools...I really dont want to wait another year, since this year was my year off. Oh and I did start early for the MD process this year, i mean last year i was given an interview for the MD path (was waitlisted), but its just becoming more and more competitive epically this year with the increase in applicants...It really sucks

the application deadlines posted on AACOM's website --
what exactly are they for??
primary apps?
secondary apps?
need to interview by that date?
im a bit confused...little help?
thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
I think its typically for the primary apps. They will have the secondary deadline on each school's website, or it will be somewhere on the secondary application.

Hello, I had a few questions about how AACOMAS calculates your GPA. I've posted a similar thread on the pre-allo forum, but didnt think it was appropriate to ask about AACOMAS there.

1) I have taken classes at a community college that are not transferable to a state university, or a university of california). For instance, I took an EMT class, a geometry class, and a few others. Are these included in my AMCAS GPA? It doesn't seem like they are "college level".

2) How is a W on my transcript handled? I withdrew from a class and it shows up as a W, so will it just be counted as an F?

3) How is the GPA calculated if a retook a class? If the class was 5 units and I got a C the first time, and an A the next, would I get 5 units of credit at a B? Or 10 at a B?

Thanks for your time.

Hello, I had a few questions about how AACOMAS calculates your GPA. I've posted a similar thread on the pre-allo forum, but didnt think it was appropriate to ask about AACOMAS there.

1) I have taken classes at a community college that are not transferable to a state university, or a university of california). For instance, I took an EMT class, a geometry class, and a few others. Are these included in my AMCAS GPA? It doesn't seem like they are "college level".

2) How is a W on my transcript handled? I withdrew from a class and it shows up as a W, so will it just be counted as an F?

3) How is the GPA calculated if a retook a class? If the class was 5 units and I got a C the first time, and an A the next, would I get 5 units of credit at a B? Or 10 at a B?

Thanks for your time.

1) They were taken at a community college so they are college level and will be counted in your AACOMAS GPA.

2) I'm not exactly sure how they are handled but mine were not counted as F's. You should probably ask them directly how they handle that.

3) As long as you identify the second time you took it as a repeat you will get 5 credits at an A. They replace the grade, not average it.

This is for AACOMAS so if you're wondering about AMCAS I'm not entirely sure.

I have taken classes at a community college that are not transferable to a state university, or a university of california). For instance, I took an EMT class, a geometry class, and a few others. Are these included in my AMCAS GPA? It doesn't seem like they are "college level".

Yes, every class taken after high school (or college level during high school) counts for AMCAS and AACOMAS.

How is a W on my transcript handled? I withdrew from a class and it shows up as a W, so will it just be counted as an F?

It's a W, not an F. It shows up as a W.

How is the GPA calculated if a retook a class? If the class was 5 units and I got a C the first time, and an A the next, would I get 5 units of credit at a B? Or 10 at a B?

AACOMAS will count the most recent grade for repeated courses. In your case above, you will have an A in the 5 unit class. AMCAS does not replace grades, so you would have 10 units with a 3.0 for that class.

We're so smart, EEL08! :D

Thanks, I just have one more question:

Does it look at BCP or BCPM?

AACOMAS is just BCP

PLease forgive me if this has been covered somewhere else, I can't seem to find it. I want to update aacomas with my grades from last quarter, I already sent in my new transcript, what else do I need to do? Also should I tell all the schools I applied to or just let them find out from aacomas

I dont know that you can update your transcripts on AACOMAS once you have submitted and been verified. I was told that I should just email an unofficial copy of them to the schools I was applying to and they would put it with my file. At least thats what AAMCAS told me, so I would assume AACOMAS would be the same.

Members don't see this ad :)
i just sent them my transcript, i assume they'll know what to do since when i called up they said just mail your transcript and we'll take care of it.

I sent them a transcript, and they updated my files. Took a couple of weeks, they were pretty quick on the update that was in August so I think they'll be faster this time of year.

I just got an A- in Microbiology.

Damnit. It's a 92.1 and she marked it an A-. I wrote her an email asking to see my final exam which she said was a 90. I have several grades like this and the teachers in the Bio department won't just round you up like many others, this one, in particular does no curving or rounding.

I sort of remember the Allo and Osteo schools compute grades differently. If someone counted all A's as 4.0, it would boost my GPA as I only ever got two B+'s in my undergrad career and I have 6 A-'s.

These are the AACOMAS instructions for reporting courses. I haven't found this in a linkable form - I got to it through my active app.

AACOMAS Grade: The AACOMAS grading system standardizes the way grades will be reported to your designated colleges. AACOMAS grades include: A, A-, B+, B, B-, C+, C, C-, D+, D, D- and F. The AACOMAS Grade is assigned a numeric value to calculate your grade point average. These values are:

A 4.0
A- 3.7
B+ 3.3
B 3.0
B- 2.7
C+ 2.3
C 2.0
C- 1.7
D+ 1.3
D 1.0
D- 0.7
F 0.0

If your institution uses this grading scale, choose the appropriate grade from the Letter Grade Format. If the "+" grade has a value of ". 5" at your institution, you need to reflect the ". 5" numeric value for "+" grades only in the AACOMAS Grade column. Enter the numeric grade for plus grades (e.g. 3.5, 2.5, or 1.5). Enter letter grades for all other grades.

If your institution lists numeric grades 0.0 to 4.0 instead of letter grades, enter the numeric grade listed on your transcript in the AACOMAS grade field as well as the actual grade field.

All Pass/Fail courses should have the Semester Hours and AACOMAS Grade columns completed. Use Pass and Non-pass in the AACOMAS Grade column. If, at your institution, the Fail grade is equivalent to the letter grade for failure, then list "F" in the AACOMAS Grade column. If credit hours are awarded for AP or CLEP credits but no grade is awarded, use "Advanced Placement" for the AACOMAS Grade.

Actual Grade: Record the grade as it actually appears on your official transcript. This can be a numeric grade or a letter grade, with or without a plus or minus sign.

If narrative evaluations are used in your system in lieu of grades, list "Pass" if pass credit was awarded. Copies of narrative evaluations will be forwarded to your designated colleges.

People are creating new threads when they should be doing searches. I just tried to make it easier for people to find the right threads to post in instead of cluttering with new ones.

ah! good call.

I have a little bit of a dilemma. I currently have a grade of "incomplete" in my independent study in ceramics for the past semester. I am going to complete my projects hopefully within the first month of the spring semester, and then I will get an actual grade on my transcript. The in complete grade currently does not have any bearing on my gpa at my undergraduate institution, but I don't know if I sent the updated transcript to aacomas if that would negatively affect my gpa calculation.

Also, I don't know how the schools look at incomplete grades. The past semester has been my best yet as far as academics go, so I would like schools I'm still waiting to hear from regarding interviews to see how well I've done since my gpa wasn't so hot to begin with, but I also don't want to screw myself over if they look negatively on the incomplete grade.

Any insight y'all have would be greatly appreciated :)
Thanks!

I think you should avoid the issue altogether, bust your hump to finish your project, and send them a transcript with all good grades on it. Good luck! :)

How long it takes to verify transcripts after they received?

with aacomas it takes at least a couple of weeks. It all depends upon how many other people they have to process. When I submitted in june it took a week. When I updated my application in august it took almost a month. So it just depends best bet is for someone who has applied recently to let you know how long it took them.

long time...if you havent submitted AACOMAS by now, i wouldnt think that it wouldnt be processed until late Feb/early March. If you are just talking about transcript verification, then that should only take a week or so? And MCAT scores show up a few days after they are sent.

I agree with the previous post, finish the class then submit

long time...if you havent submitted AACOMAS by now, i wouldnt think that it wouldnt be processed until late Feb/early March. If you are just talking about transcript verification, then that should only take a week or so? And MCAT scores show up a few days after they are sent.

they had my all required material on dec 3rd and processed and mailed dec 19th.
still it depends.

probably 3-4 weeks max. they probably know it is crunch time, so they might me processing them faster or something. Mine took two weeks and was complete by late November.

My AAMCOS was submitted and paid w/ MCATS received on 1/5/08. I requested transcripts on 1/4/08 by fax. When I first read the instructions I interpreted it to read that the postmark on transcripts would be determining criteria for deadlines. My transcripts are likely to be postmarked on 1/8 but it seems unlikely that AAMCOS will be able to process, verify and mail by 2/1. Does this mean I am too late for 2/1/08? Any ideas for me? :confused:

My AAMCOS was submitted and paid w/ MCATS received on 1/5/08. I requested transcripts on 1/4/08 by fax. When I first read the instructions I interpreted it to read that the postmark on transcripts would be determining criteria for deadlines. My transcripts are likely to be postmarked on 1/8 but it seems unlikely that AAMCOS will be able to process, verify and mail by 2/1. Does this mean I am too late for 2/1/08? Any ideas for me? :confused:

call and ask them. otherwise it might be a waste of money

Forgive my ignorance but I just don't think AACOM is clear about some things. I am a junior taking the MCAT April 5th and thus hope/pray to matriculate in August 09' for the class 2013. Due to a lower GPA 3.0s/3.3 (as of now, hoping to bring up with 38 credits left) I want to get my app. in as early as possible.
They say processing begins in June, but what does that mean?

Can I not open/begin an application until June 1st?

Should I have my transcripts/MCAT score sent in early May to be there by June? And will they be accepted prior to the 1st?

I'm an avid reader and firmly believe in the many SDNers that claim apply early and broadly and am trying to be as efficient with the whole application process as possible. Any help is much appreciated!

They say processing begins in June, but what does that mean?

Can I not open/begin an application until June 1st?

Yes, you have to wait till the application opens.

Should I have my transcripts/MCAT score sent in early May to be there by June? And will they be accepted prior to the 1st?

No, they will probably loose them if you send then in before they are ready.

I'm an avid reader and firmly believe in the many SDNers that claim apply early and broadly and am trying to be as efficient with the whole application process as possible. Any help is much appreciated!

You will be fine and plenty early! Submit AACOMAS on the first day (or even the first week) and send in your transcripts then also. You will probably be processed and mailed in a matter of days. Then you might even have to wait a while for schools to send you secondaries because you will be super early! ;)

Good Luck and don't worry, you'll be very early! :luck:

Thanks Prions!

Ok last one I hope!

First let me say I have a HUGE DO lean as I've been involved with them throughout my life. That said, my current university's medical school takes 80% of its students from instate/its own undergrad. Because of location, family, friends, along with many of factors I've considered applying to the MD school. They offer EDP, and I was curious of the repercussions if I applied EDP to this single MD school and then the rest DO broadly. I don't see it affecting me but I wanted to be sure that my DO school apps won't be held ( as they usually are when doing EDP) if I go this route. Any info would be much appreciated! Thanks.

Ok last one I hope!

First let me say I have a HUGE DO lean as I've been involved with them throughout my life. That said, my current university's medical school takes 80% of its students from instate/its own undergrad. Because of location, family, friends, along with many of factors I've considered applying to the MD school. They offer EDP, and I was curious of the repercussions if I applied EDP to this single MD school and then the rest DO broadly. I don't see it affecting me but I wanted to be sure that my DO school apps won't be held ( as they usually are when doing EDP) if I go this route. Any info would be much appreciated! Thanks.

Hey there, it's me again!

I don't think the DO schools would know that you applied to an EDP MD program because AMCAS and AACOMAS don't communicate.

If you go this route, you should know if you got into your state school by September or October, right? In the mean time you could be filling out secondaries and going on interviews for DO schools.

Sounds good to me! ;):luck:

Thats exactly what I was thinking but I wanted to be sure I didn't hinder my early approach to applying to DO schools. It's just a thought to give me another option down the road but I was worried!

Grads in your acceptance Prion, you must be thrilled :D

Thats exactly what I was thinking but I wanted to be sure I didn't hinder my early approach to applying to DO schools. It's just a thought to give me another option down the road but I was worried!

Grads in your acceptance Prion, you must be thrilled :D

Thank you! I'm extremely thrilled!