2007-2008 "what are my chances"/"what should I do"/"where to apply" Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it took a couple weeks for most places. So if you just sent it in give it a bit of time.

Members don't see this ad.

It took AZCOM and KCOM about 4 days to process my LORs (after they received them) and then my files were complete. CCOM took slightly longer to tell me I was complete. As for LECOM - Lake Erie, I got an interview invite from them about a month after I sent in my secondary and I didn't even have the LORs at the time, so don't worry, might take a few weeks for you...I also didn't know school issued invites before completion...is that normal at LECOM?

I'm still waiting to hear if I'm complete at LMU-DCOM...I'm thinking about calling them.

My husband just got an interview invited for LECOM-Erie yesterday. He submitted his app on 9/9 and doesn't have his LORs in yet. So I'm not sure how common it is but it's definitely at their discretion.

Hello everyone,
I am brand new to SDN but have been learning quite a bit from reading all the different forums. If anyone can give me some feedback on "what are my chances" I would really appreciate it. My application is in at 12 DO schools and I am complete at 6 of them... still trying to bust out a few more essays

Stats:
-23 years old
-spent the last year working in a clinical research center full time seeing patients in the office and scrubbing in on surgical studies
-spent a year volunteering at a free clinic every monday seeing patients
with a few other good ECs
- great LOR from pre med committee and DO who treated me this past year
- 3.369 non science gpa and 3.114 science gpa
- mcat 26P

Members don't see this ad :)
Well I thought I would post mine up, just to see how you guys think things will go.

First two years of college where not good ~3.00
Last two years at University went much better ~3.85 summa cum laude
Major ~ psychology
Minor ~ public health
Overall ~3.33
Science ~3.45
MCAT V~10 P~6 :( B~8 L (not very happy about the L, just bombed the writing :()

EC's are not that great:
Wife and 2 children
Couple of days with homes for humanity
One day in the ER
Shadowed one DO for a day
Shadowed another DO for 50+ hours
Helped to raise money for our Pre-med/AMSA

So what you guys think, how are my ECs, think my MCAT will hold me back too much. My top schools are NSU and LECOM-B.

I wouldnt worry man. From what I can see youll be fine.

Hello everyone,
I am brand new to SDN but have been learning quite a bit from reading all the different forums. If anyone can give me some feedback on "what are my chances" I would really appreciate it. My application is in at 12 DO schools and I am complete at 6 of them... still trying to bust out a few more essays

Stats:
-23 years old
-spent the last year working in a clinical research center full time seeing patients in the office and scrubbing in on surgical studies
-spent a year volunteering at a free clinic every monday seeing patients
with a few other good ECs
- great LOR from pre med committee and DO who treated me this past year
- 3.369 non science gpa and 3.114 science gpa
- mcat 26P

I dont see anything that would keep you from getting in. I wouldnt worry about your application. Youll get in.

well, here goes nothing...
mcat: 26Q (9,9,8ps) 28Q (9bio, 9ps, 10vr)
cumulativ gpa: 3.44 (more or less the same for science gpa)
major: biochemistry and biophysics

3 years research in... TADS (treatment for adolescents with depression), COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease), orthopedic spine surgery all leading to 6 publications

pretty solid rec letters (i think?) and plenty of clinical experience/volunteering. no direct experience with DO's though.

i have an interview at western coming up towards the end of october and im absolutely horrified; and im from illinois... i saw on some other thread that 90% of inteviewees there are accepted?

You have solid numbers. Im sure youll do fine. 90% for interviews sounds really high, but Im not familiar with that school so Ill refrain from saying its wrong outright. My understanding is that the average is around 40-50% for interviews.

I'm just applying now....is it too late? when does it become too late?

So the overall consensus is I am a neurotic pre-med that needs to learn patience, GREAT... LOL

is there a list somewhere that indicates which schools use best from each section? i know oregon uses the most recent score whatever that may be...i am sure other schools do the same.

premed office deadline to get composite letter sent is nov 1. deadline for schools i'm applying to are as early as 1/1/08 and as late as march 2008. Is it possible to have the letters sent to schools before I submit AACOMAS application if I dont have app done before then? I'm pretty much missing some transcripts and my personal statement.:idea:

Members don't see this ad :)
I would email the schools and explain your situation. It shouldn't be a problem.

Hey everyone!

im pretty much applying to all the DO schools...hopefully i can get into 1! =)

these are my stats:

sGPA = 3.1
oGPA = 3.335
MCAT = V-11, B-8, P-8, Wrt=Q (total=27Q)
BS. Bio Sci
Minor in Management

1 1/2 year of research in neurobio field
about half a year or 40 hrs of hospital volunteer
3 years of Flying Sams club
1 year of work at science library comp lab
1 year fundraising chair in Club MAP

(flying sams and club map are both in school clubs)

Any input would be appreciated! Thanks a bunch

Do you guys think I have any chances of getting into ANY DO schools for this cycle? Please give your honest opinion!!

Here are my stats:

Overall GPA: 3.75
BCPM GPA: 3.73
MCAT: 22 N --> PS- 7
VR- 7
BS- 8
WS-N
Major: Physiology
Specialization: Bioethics

EC's:
1 semester Clinic Volunteer
1 semester Hospital transporter
1 semester Wound Clinic Volunteer
1 semester Biochem Research volunteer
1 summer paid biochem research aide--> possible publication
1.5 year volunteer for Red Cross
3 year member/treasurer for Habitat for Humanity
and a few other small volunteering jobs

LOR's: have a few that are pretty strong

Ok, so I know my MCAT is dirt low...I don't know what the hell happened there. I think my GPA is ok and my EC's are average. So I was wondering what you guys think my chances are of getting into the worst DO schools for this cycle. Should I apply right now and take my MCAT again in January or should I put my application on hold for next year?

Oh, and also I'm not black or hispanic.:confused:

You might want to rephrase the "worst DO schools" part.

I was trying to go to MD school, but after I got my crappy MCAT score back, I figured it was useless to apply to MD schools. I really don't know anything about DO schools, so I was wondering what schools I might have a chance to get in?? Also how competitive am I?? If I decide to apply now, I'll probably get my app in by mid to end of October. Is this too late?? Thanks alot!

Have you considered studying for the mcat? With a score that low, I would retake after several months of hard studying. With luck, you will get a much better score. I'm afraid that with a 22, chances are slim at best for DO and "0" for MD.

The average is around a 25... Your gpa is good and your mcat are 7's and 8's which aren't horrible so I think you should apply. I think you will be later in the cycle though (is October when your aacomas will be submitted?). If so, your secondaries won't be finished to November-December. You will not get interviews until > January-February so you will be late then.

You have decent EC's as well. Have you shadowed a DO?

I haven't shadowed a DO. Does that matter? Do I need to do that? Sorry, again, I don't really know anything about applying to DO schools. Thanks!

your asking for THIS cycle ? as in entering class of 2008 ? cause you really don't have much time...

why not just wait till next cycle, and while your at it, re-study for the MCAT and take it january or may, if you simply get anything higher than a 22, you'll be in much better position for many DO schools and who knows, if you start rocking 30+, you'll have a good shot at many MD schools as well

you have a very nice Undergrad major along with a kickass GPA, all you need is a bit higher MCAT, some shadowing experiences (maybe 40-50 hrs for 2 different doctors), get some hospital volunteering and your in good shape

good luck

Is it worth applying to D.O schools with a 15M and a GPA of 3.3?

Nope. D.O. schools have much higher MCAT averages than that (no offense). Your GPA is within the DO range, but also could be higher. I would re-take the MCAT, it's better to wait a year than go to a school you don't want to go to.

That GPA is lower than usual, so you'll want a slightly higher than average MCAT for DO schools. Re-take and get around a 26 or higher, and you could probably get some interviews. Make sure you have good ECs and volunteer experience, they seem to emphasize that a lot.

Here's a better question, do you think you can survive med school with a 15M? Is your basic science knowledge or reading skills that bad you could only get a 15?

How did you get a 15M? Did you just answer "C" for every question?

If I were in your situation, I would not apply to any medical school at this point in time. I'd figure out what went wrong with the MCAT, see if it is fixable, remedy the issue(s), take lots of practice tests, average in the upper twenties, or greater, on my practice tests, then retake the MCAT. A 15M isn't acceptable, in my mind. Just to put it into perspective, the average of all people who take the MCAT is around a 24.

If I were in your situation, I would not apply to any medical school at this point in time. I'd figure out what went wrong with the MCAT, see if it is fixable, remedy the issue(s), take lots of practice tests, average in the upper twenties, or greater, on my practice tests, then retake the MCAT. A 15M isn't acceptable, in my mind. Just to put it into perspective, the average of all people who take the MCAT is around a 24.

Yeah, I probably should have mentioned that I was awarded a fee waiver so it really didn't cost me anything to apply to 3 schools. And although I didn't score much better than the OP, I suppose some schools might see a 19 as *close* but would not consider a 15. I have no idea of course, just speculating. :)

I am hardly ashamed of my undergrad GPA. What's even funnier is the classes I was getting C's and D's in. Stuff like "coaching theories and principles". I even failed a class about designing a strength and conditioning facility.

I'll be the first to tell you that I was a total idiot.

I am hardly ashamed of my undergrad GPA. What's even funnier is the classes I was getting C's and D's in. Stuff like "coaching theories and principles". I even failed a class about designing a strength and conditioning facility.

I'll be the first to tell you that I was a total idiot.

OMG, I know the feeling. The lowest grade I got was in.......Philosophy. I still wonder how I managed a $%#%%^ in it but yet managed A's in hard classes. And no, I don't drink! :laugh:

How in the hell do you get a score that low? Did you just guess? Drunk? Any studying at all? Did you just wake up one day and say:

"Hey! I want to be a doctor. Guess I'll take that um...what test is it? Oh yeah, the MCAT".

Seriously, I'm very curious.

Yeah I got the highest grade in the class in Biochem II (for chemistry majors... I got into the class because I already had a degree, and thus, I am allowed to take whatever I want, without pre-requisites or whatever). 2.2 GPA kinesiology guy vs. 200+ biochem majors... Winner: kinesiology guy.

OMG, I know the feeling. The lowest grade I got was in.......Philosophy. I still wonder how I managed a $%#%%^ in it but yet managed A's in hard classes. And no, I don't drink! :laugh:

Don't get too down on yourself, it's not an easy field. Philosophy is always called out as a joke here on SDN, but at my school, the department is not in existence to hand out As to those not interested in thinking deeply. I've only taken one Philosophy class, and was happy to get an A. I know I got lucky, though, 'cuz the prof was real down to earth.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot to reply to the OP. :confused: As others have said, you should retake the MCAT. The person who posted that got a 19 and some interviews didn't post any other information. They may have had a higher GPA or some other helping factor. Granted a 19 probably does look better than 15, but they are both still pretty damn low. So, study hard, do practice tests, and when the practice tests are routinely in the mid-upper 20's take it again.

Good luck! :)

The lowest on mdapplicants.com are these two:

05361 Cornell College, 17 MCAT, 2.98 GPA, applied 2006
06129 FIU-Florida International University, 17 MCAT, 3.25 GPA, applied 2006

The second guy is URM, and the first had some kind of under-the-table deal (if it's even a real profile). Sounds like her uncle was the dean or something.

um can anyone give me any feedback please? =) it would greatly be appreciated!

these are my stats:

sGPA = 3.1
oGPA = 3.335
BS. Bio Sci
Minor in Management

3 years of Flying Sams club (clinical help in Mexico)
1 year fundraising chair in Club MAP (student outreach club)

um can anyone give me any feedback please? =) it would greatly be appreciated!

these are my stats:

sGPA = 3.1
oGPA = 3.335
BS. Bio Sci
Minor in Management

3 years of Flying Sams club (clinical help in Mexico)
1 year fundraising chair in Club MAP (student outreach club)

u have a good shot.

Sorry man, due to all the thread merges people might have missed your earlier post. You have a good MCAT score, good EC's, but a low GPA though. Did you already submit your AACOMAS? If you have then just go for it, I think you have a decent shot. But its getting kind of late in the cycle, so you have to be really on top of things. Submit your secondaries in a couple days of when you receive them. Also have your LORs lined up so they can be sent out right away from your professors (I recommend using Interfolio, it gives you the ability to send them out as you need them) that usually is the one major hold up for a lot of people including me.

Hello everyone, first and foremost, thanks for looking at this. I know we're starting to enter "crazy time" for "can i get in?" questions:

Graduated Washington University in St. Louis: Class of '07
Major: Psychology
Minor: Biology
GPA: 3.22 (Started college rough, ended up with C's in chemistry...then had great upward trend (got a 3.9 one semester). Then after my junior year, my grandmother died and I fell into a major depressive episode so I currently have 1 W and 2 incompletes...I'm trying to get those finished up as we speak assuming the professors will even help me out still.

Science GPA: 3.01 (though that's excluding a year of physics+lab outside of Wash U that got me 2 As)

MCAT: Phy:9, Ver:11, Bio:12=32Q

ECs: 2 summers as RA in an immunology lab (Great lor), 1 summer in vascular surgery lab (did statistics, but also got to shadow Dr. in surgery), Martial arts/Cello (though I'm not in a group for it, I just play for others), dedicated member of 2 community service groups on campus. During my senior year, I worked at a local busy coffeeshop as a barista/assistant manager. I know it's "non-traditional" but it did teach me a lot about time management/leadership

Lor: 1 from immunology lab (great), 1 from Physiology teacher (probably could be better), last one possibly from second lab or from a family friend who is a surgeon and who has let me shadow him during my winter breaks to Florida since early high school...

Here are my questions:
I have not shadowed a D.O., though I have been in constant discussion with my friend who was accepted into D.O. last year. I would like to apply for admission for Fall 08 assuming it isn't too late. I am originally from NY, though I went to school in St Louis and just now moved to chicago, so I dont really know what that does for my residency. I kept my paystubs in my NY address when I was in MO, so maybe that makes me NY still.

Also, right now I have been applying for research technician jobs for the year off, but I don't have one just yet. How bad will that look?

Off the bat I was looking at NYCOM, the school in NJ, PA, and touro. I would prefer to be near major cities only b/c my girlfriend may not be coming with me.

Thanks for everything and please let me know if I left anything out

Hello everyone, first and foremost, thanks for looking at this. I know we're starting to enter "crazy time" for "can i get in?" questions:

Graduated Washington University in St. Louis: Class of '07
Major: Psychology
Minor: Biology
GPA: 3.22 (Started college rough, ended up with C's in chemistry...then had great upward trend (got a 3.9 one semester). Then after my junior year, my grandmother died and I fell into a major depressive episode so I currently have 1 W and 2 incompletes...I'm trying to get those finished up as we speak assuming the professors will even help me out still.

Science GPA: 3.01 (though that's excluding a year of physics+lab outside of Wash U that got me 2 As)

MCAT: Phy:9, Ver:11, Bio:12=32Q

ECs: 2 summers as RA in an immunology lab (Great lor), 1 summer in vascular surgery lab (did statistics, but also got to shadow Dr. in surgery), Martial arts/Cello (though I'm not in a group for it, I just play for others), dedicated member of 2 community service groups on campus. During my senior year, I worked at a local busy coffeeshop as a barista/assistant manager. I know it's "non-traditional" but it did teach me a lot about time management/leadership

Lor: 1 from immunology lab (great), 1 from Physiology teacher (probably could be better), last one possibly from second lab or from a family friend who is a surgeon and who has let me shadow him during my winter breaks to Florida since early high school...

Here are my questions:
I have not shadowed a D.O., though I have been in constant discussion with my friend who was accepted into D.O. last year. I would like to apply for admission for Fall 08 assuming it isn't too late. I am originally from NY, though I went to school in St Louis and just now moved to chicago, so I dont really know what that does for my residency. I kept my paystubs in my NY address when I was in MO, so maybe that makes me NY still.

Also, right now I have been applying for research technician jobs for the year off, but I don't have one just yet. How bad will that look?

Off the bat I was looking at NYCOM, the school in NJ, PA, and touro. I would prefer to be near major cities only b/c my girlfriend may not be coming with me.

Thanks for everything and please let me know if I left anything out

I think you're in good shape. You went to an excellent undergrad. and have a very competitive MCAT. Your science GPA is a bit low, but with an upward trend I think you'll find many forgiving adcoms. I would submit your apps asap if you haven't already.

Also, I too am looking for a job for the gap year. I hope this doesn't look bad to adcoms...the job market really stinks right now, so whatever. Good luck. :luck:

I was wondering what my chances are for the schools I applied to? I am applying a little later in the cycle than I would like to be, but think that my stats are pretty solid.

Double Major: Kinesiology-Human Performance and Liberal Arts Biology
Minor: Chemistry
GPA:3.41 Overall, 3.68 for 96credits after transfer
Science GPA:3.60
MCAT: June07 VR:7 PS:9 WS:O BS:11 (27o total)

Schools Applied to: Nova, DMU, PCOM, OCOM, KCUMB

I was originally looking at doing podiatry, so I have little experience shadowing a DO, but think that I have a fair amount of "general clinical" experience. Any input would be helpful.

I was wondering what my chances are for the schools I applied to? I am applying a little later in the cycle than I would like to be, but think that my stats are pretty solid.

Double Major: Kinesiology-Human Performance and Liberal Arts Biology
Minor: Chemistry
GPA:3.41 Overall, 3.68 for 96credits after transfer
Science GPA:3.60
MCAT: June07 VR:7 PS:9 WS:O BS:11 (27o total)

Schools Applied to: Nova, DMU, PCOM, OCOM, KCUMB

I was originally looking at doing podiatry, so I have little experience shadowing a DO, but think that I have a fair amount of "general clinical" experience. Any input would be helpful.

You look pretty good to me. I think you have a good chance of being accepted somewhere, of course your ec's do come into play a great deal. If by OCOM you mean OUCOM then just know that if you are an out-of-state student you would have to commit to staying in Ohio for five years after graduation.

You're probably good to go. You may not get in everywhere, but I think you'll have some options.

Thanks everyone. The only thing "wrong" with my application at the moment is that I have not shadowed a DO. I understand that this is only a "requirement" at a few schools, and that most others recommend it. I have very strong letters of recommendation from an MD that I have shadowed since middle school (family friend in Florida, I go down on winter breaks) and my PI, so hopefully that will work. Also, I know the requirement is a year of english...I have a semester of english composition and then I have a science class that is designated "writing intensive" by Wash U (one of our pre-reqs). Will this fly? If not, can I indicate to the school somewhere that I can take a course this spring?

Thanks everyone. The only thing "wrong" with my application at the moment is that I have not shadowed a DO. I understand that this is only a "requirement" at a few schools, and that most others recommend it. I have very strong letters of recommendation from an MD that I have shadowed since middle school (family friend in Florida, I go down on winter breaks) and my PI, so hopefully that will work. Also, I know the requirement is a year of english...I have a semester of english composition and then I have a science class that is designated "writing intensive" by Wash U (one of our pre-reqs). Will this fly? If not, can I indicate to the school somewhere that I can take a course this spring?

If it gives a Writing credit from Wash U, I would agree that it can count towards English. If you're in doubt, give AACOMAS a call and find out for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.