2007-2008 "what are my chances"/"what should I do"/"where to apply" Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 26Q on the mcat and a 2.5 gpa. My gpa is low b/c i worked full time (2 jobs) while my undergrad years. I have about 300 hours of volunteer experience. Do I even have a chance of getting in anywhere? If i do, where?

Thank you so much for your input!!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

You really need to work on that GPA, the MCAT is an applicable score to get an interview if you had a higher GPA but with a GPA that low you need a much higher MCAT to offset. Just keep trying and you can make it.

I have a 26Q on the mcat and a 2.5 gpa. My gpa is low b/c i worked full time (2 jobs) while my undergrad years. I have about 300 hours of volunteer experience. Do I even have a chance of getting in anywhere? If i do, where?

if you want a truthful answer, than most likely this late in the cycle as well as your lower than normal GPA, no, I don't think you'll have a competitive shot. Do a post bac, bring your GPA up AND retake the MCAT.

Members don't see this ad :)

Would it be possible to take an extra year and bring that GPA up a lot closer to 3? The reason is that even some DO schools have a min GPA cutoff. I think the lowest is 2.75, but someone else can correct me on that.

Another consideration is that if you have ever received a C- or lower in a prereq it will not be considered for you application.

There's always a chance. It's just not a very strong one, particularly with the GPA. I do understand the circumstances of working full time during undergrad. The adcoms will not typically care what your situation was and that GPA will be with you.

My suggestion if you haven't already applied would be a post-bac or graduate degree and possibly retaking the MCAT. Your MCAT is average for many DO programs, but you may be even better prepared for the MCAT once you nail some more post-bac or graduate classes. Also, if you haven't applied already, I would not consider it for this cycle. You are likely to get a variety of responses though.

If you have applied, let it ride and see what happens. Best of luck to you.

I have a higher GPA and a 33P on the .MCAT, along with a 3.3 science GPA, and a strong upward trend, and I am having a hell of a time. I've got a couple interviews, and will probably get a couple more, and I think I'll get in, but I wouldn't say I'm a lock.

I would suggest a post-bac program, and an MCAT prep course.

I would have to agree with Texas here. With a low GPA and a 25 MCAT, you're fighting an uphill battle. Not to say it isn't *possible*, just not very likely. I would strongly encourage you to enroll in a post-bac or retake your low grades and replace them with A's.

Stranger things have happened, however, and if you feel strongly about your strength of application, apply. I would encourage you to make an appointment with a nearby med school (even if you're not very interested) to get a "from the horse's mouth" answer about your application.

Post-bac and/or special masters is probably the best route for you. Your MCAT is not terrible, it's just not great when it sits next to your gpa. If you only plan on applying to osteo I would also suggest retaking some courses, this would bring your gpa up faster than a post-bac. Have you already graduated or do you have a few semesters/quarters left? If you can, see if you can extend graduation as the previous poster suggested. Your main goal should be to bring that gpa up any way you can i.e. postbac or retake. If you can bring it up to a 3.0 you can apply to a few masters programs that let you take med-school courses, this will show that you can handle the rigor that medical school is (you have to do well of course...kind of a double-edged sword situation, if you know what I mean). Good Luck :luck:

PlAnEjaNe

p.s. The postbac forum would be able to help you find out more about the different kinds of programs that are available.

hi guys,

i'd appreciate any feedback/opinions.

My stats:

1st MCAT-22R
2nd MCAT-23S
Science GPA-3.4
Non-Science GPA-3.7
Cumulative GPA-3.6

Do I have a chance? Thanks so much! :)

Hi everyone!
I'm a recent college graduate with a long time interest in medicine. However, i've got several obstacles to overcome and i was wondering if anyone could shed some light on my situation and point me in the right direction. I have my BS in biology, and my BA in dance.
Strike 1: i have a 2.96GPA - this is mostly due to a horrible freshman year which has to do with...
Strike 2: i'm legally blind. I have a rare disorder called Peter's Anomaly. With this comes Glaucoma, and the joy of spending many many many hours in the hospital. the good news? i've gotten close to my doctors. the bad news: something went wrong my freshman year of college, and we had a horrible time fixing it (3 surgeries mid semester). That wasn't all, i attended a school that promised to do everything they could to make adjustments for my "disability" - I only found out half way through my first semester that i was their first legally blind student - and none of my professors were properly notified - so when i explained it to them i was met with denial and disbeleif; at two points, unwillingness to make adaptations. Yes it is very illegal - i took matters into my own hands. that summer after recovery i wrote an indepth letter to my future professors explaining my entire disorder (who can make up 22 years of medical information and 42 surgeries?) i also requested notification to be sent from the dean's office to my professors. I met with them myself before the semester even started and well, there was a much appreciated differance from then on, and a long recovery from my 1.8gpa.

For further detail: i do have vision - about 20/125 in one eye and 20/200 in the other. i can see everything, i just have to make adjustments (move it closer, make it bigger, a litle extra time to read it etc etc).
After being frustrated, i decided to take a dance class my sophomore year. little did i know it would lead to a second major. I absolutely love dance and the study of movement. Combined with the maticulous works of the human body (and mind) just puts the icing on the cake.
Anyways, my dance GPA really helped me pull things up.

extras: student emergency response volunteer (one year)
Student run dance company - President and Producer
Sorority - secretary, and SGA honor fraternity
Dean's list senior year (both semesters)
Volunteer at the hospital - (two summers)

jobs: member services rep. (part time) - 6 years
and Resident Advisor to the community service house on campus (i've done a ridiculous amount of CS work over the years)

so that's my life... for those who are still reading: i haven't taken my MCATs yet, but was planning on this spring. what are my chances of being accepted? and what else could i do to strengthen my aplication? how should i explain my experiences in my personal statement? thank you!

As you know, you have some obstacles to overcome. The good news is that you are young and have time to fix them. Obviously these are the MCAT and your GPA.

If I were you, I would consider taking some more undergrad courses this spring (as many as possible) to bump your GPA up a bit. You didn't say what your sci vs. non-sci GPA's were. If you can pull off a 4.0 for a semester, that will put your GPA over a 3.0 at least. If you happen to be an under-represented minority, I wouldn't worry about the GPA so much unless your science GPA is much lower than 2.96. In that case I would focus solely on the MCAT. I have a friend in this position doing his MD/PhD who had less than a 3.0.

If you can pull off a decent MCAT score in either of those situations, I think you have a reasonable shot (MAYBE even without improving your GPA if your MCAT is high enough. MAYBE). Take it when you are ready. Don't rush it.

You seem to have solid EC's and it sounds as if you could put together a pretty good personal statement/essays from your experiences. I would explain your circumstances (I feel it is important regarding your situation) but try not to sound like a victim. I'd say take a triumphant stance in regard to these things. Explain, but don't make excuses or express negativity. Know what I mean?

You sound like you are strong willed and determined- I can relate to that. Trust me, don't give up. You don't have far to go and it's worth it in the end.

Thats my 2cents.:)

so that's my life... for those who are still reading: i haven't taken my MCATs yet, but was planning on this spring. what are my chances of being accepted? and what else could i do to strengthen my aplication? how should i explain my experiences in my personal statement? thank you!

Do well on the MCAT. Your determination and life experience will make you a candidate worth considering. Just to give you an example, Ohio U. admitted a student that was in a similar situation (he's Class of 2009 if I recall). He had an accident where he splashed chemicals in his eyes and became legally blind. His vision recovered somewhat, but the school still admitted him and made accomodations for him.

Also, a completely blind person graduated from DO school a couple of years ago, if my memory serves (he was featured in an issue of The D.O.).

hi guys,

i'd appreciate any feedback/opinions.

My stats:

1st MCAT-22R
2nd MCAT-23S
Science GPA-3.4
Non-Science GPA-3.7
Cumulative GPA-3.6

Do I have a chance? Thanks so much! :)
You have a chance, but you need to apply early and broadly. In terms of this cycle you would be about on time if you submitt your application now. In your case you will need strong EC's and solid LOR's to be accepted. If you have the money to spend apply to all the DO schools and see what happens. People with your stats get accepted. I am sure that you will get a few interviews from some schools. When you get the interview you will also need to perform well. I hope you are accepted to the School of your choice. Good Luck!!!:luck::luck::luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
Just a thought, have you considered retaking some courses (ideally with different professors)? Generally that is frowned upon, but one or two A's where you got D's can make a huge difference.

MCAT 28M (VR9 BS9 PS10)
Total Undergrad GPA 2.9
Total Postbacc 3.645
BCPM 3.47
Masters GPA 3.4

I was a performance major and went to a conservatory for my bachelor's and master's degrees...academics did not matter at all for my major/career so I never went to class lol :) Hence the wonderful cum gpa. Anyway, my AACOMAS has yet to be verified. Does this put me at a terrible disadvantage for this cycle? I applied to 9 schools.

I was planning on adding more schools to my AACOMAS. ATSOMA, Lecom - B, KCUMB, Debusk, KCUMB, Pcom-Ga?

Do these look good considering my stats, or should I wait and save my money. I have already sent in 8 secondaries (planning to send in 3 more this week, NSU, unecom, vcom), results so far:1 rejection , no interview invites. I'm just getting worried, and my parents want me to apply to more schools. AGHHH!!! someone please help!!!

I was planning on adding more schools to my AACOMAS. ATSOMA, Lecom - B, KCUMB, Debusk, KCUMB, Pcom-Ga?

Do these look good considering my stats, or should I wait and save my money. I have already sent in 8 secondaries (planning to send in 3 more this week, NSU, unecom, vcom), results so far:1 rejection , no interview invites. I'm just getting worried, and my parents want me to apply to more schools. AGHHH!!! someone please help!!!

I would definitely add them if I were you. It couldn't hurt. BTW, if you were supposed to be guaranteed an interview at MSUCOM why don't you check with them and find out why you were rejected?

Stats:

GPA: 3.833
Science GPA: 3.87+ (I have only made 2 B's)
I attended a highly accredited public university
MCAT: 21Q---Low Verbal
Extracurricular: The normal stuff: shadowing, etc.

Do I have a chance?

Applying: Kansas City, Touro-NY, Oklahoma State

Total GPA (3.44)
Science (3.3x)
MCAT: 30N
the usual extracurriculars, nothing extraordinary tho
i'm working on a DO LOR right now, trying to find someone to shadow and get a quick letter
thats why i'm stuck applying to schools that accept MD letters or schools that require no letters from docs
So far i've applied to MSUCOM (finished secondary)
also applying to (want to apply to) DMU, Chicago midwestern and PCOM
add UMDNJ to that list as well
where else should I apply?

Stats:

Do I have a chance?

Why not retake the MCAT? With your GPA, you will be competitive for a wider array of schools if you can get a 30. People have been able to go from very low to high scores in a matter of months.

I would definitely add them if I were you. It couldn't hurt. BTW, if you were supposed to be guaranteed an interview at MSUCOM why don't you check with them and find out why you were rejected?

I did call EELO8, the admissions office made a mistake they forgot to include my MCAT score with my file. I will be called next week to schedule an interview date..... :D:D

The Dean was more surprised then me that I was rejected... :eek:

I did call EELO8, the admissions office made a mistake they forgot to include my MCAT score with my file. I will be called next week to schedule an interview date..... :D:D

The Dean was more surprised then me that I was rejected... :eek:

Congrats! That's great! I did think it was weird they would guarantee you an interview then reject you. I definitely didn't think your numbers and activites would be enough to get you straight out rejected. Make sure to add yourself to the interview thread once you find out.

Make sure to add yourself to the interview thread once you find out.

LOL I don't know how too, its too complicated for me (I'm serious)... Feels so good, I was real close to putting my name on the Official Rejection thread :laugh:.

So found out anything from Lecom-Erie yet? If I don't receive anything this week I am calling Monday to every school I have sent secondaries too...

LOL I don't know how too, its too complicated for me (I'm serious)... Feels so good, I was real close to putting my name on the Official Rejection thread :laugh:.

So found out anything from Lecom-Erie yet? If I don't receive anything this week I am calling Monday to every school I have sent secondaries too...

Just post on there and someone else can add you. I think they should just admit you for toying with your emotions like that. :smuggrin:

I haven't heard anything from Erie yet. I'm still waiting for my DO letter and I'm about to go crazy. So I'm not complete anywhere yet but it's hard to see people getting interviews at certain schools without being complete and I'm still waiting.

Stats:

Do I have a chance?

If you're going to apply you should do it soon. I'm not sure about the other schools but Oklahoma State requires a minimum of a 7 in each section so if you don't have that you might as well take them off your list.

I haven't heard anything from Erie yet. I'm still waiting for my DO letter and I'm about to go crazy. So I'm not complete anywhere yet but it's hard to see people getting interviews at certain schools without being complete and I'm still waiting.

She still hasn't sent it yet, whats her freaking hold up!!!! Seriously get on her like Indians on Free samples :laugh:. Still call Erie though, didn't you say they give out invites without all the LORs?

She still hasn't sent it yet, whats her freaking hold up!!!! Seriously get on her like Indians on Free samples :laugh:. Still call Erie though, didn't you say they give out invites without all the LORs?

The thing is we don't know if she actually sent it yet or not. We've been having problems with Interfolio receiving letters unless they're electronically uploaded or we send them ourselves with delivery confirmation. I'm more concerned because her deadline for getting my husband's done was 9/30 and nothing in Interfolio yet. I was expecting mine to be done around the middle of this month. My husband did e-mail her about it and now he's just waiting to hear back from her.

I know that Nova gives out interviews without LORs, I believe DCOM does and my husband got the one from Erie without any of them in yet. I just hope I won't get rejected because of my MCAT. If I don't hear anything by Monday I might call.

MCAT Verbal 6
Physical 8
Bio 13
Essay Q

GPA: Total: 3.3
Science: 3.0
Graduate: 3.6

Some experience in shadowing a DO and MD
Many leadership experiences
Currently teaching science at a high school

Major: psychology
Minors: zoo and chem

science: 3.8
overall: 3.4, first 2 years were rough but I've only gone up.

MCAT- :-/
6, 6, 8 Yeah I know, I freaked out and just kinda sat and stared at the screen, I have major test anxiety.
I'm re-taking in January but I know most schools don't accept that score.

I worked for a year in direct patient care at a psych. hospital,
shadowed a number of doctors,
volunteered at a local hospital for a semester
volunteered as a tutor,
volunteered at a crisis hotline for a semester
currently working in a research lab at a HSC
I have great rec. letters 1 from an o-chem professor and another from genetics. (but how much do those really weigh?)

Hi.
I'm a 3rd year Natural Sciences student currently studying abroad in Japan for my third year.
I've had shadowing experience as well hospital volunteer experience though it was mostly in high school.

GPA 3.3
Science 3.03
MCAT BS 8, PS 9, VS 10, S = 27S

I took the MCAT before I took Bio II and Physics II. I won't be able to take those until next year though, so if I retook the MCAT, that would be after graduation.

Should I wait to apply? If not, what schools would be a good fit for me?
I would like to go into rural medicine, but I'm pretty sure that schools would think that I'm weird because I'm Asian and from a non-rural area.

Thanks!

Actually many schools send out interview invites past january and interview until March or April, so they should absolutely take the January score. Perhaps your confusion exists because many admissions office websites have not updated their information to account for the multiple MCAT test dates available now (when I applied two years ago the MCAT was only offered twice a year).

contact the schools you are interested in and ask questions.

Kassy, I'd apply. As for what schools are a good "fit" for you, only you can answer that. An afternoon with your computer and researching each school's area and curriculum should help you answer that. You can also look at all the "class of" threads and "discussion" threads. Good luck.

Should I wait to apply? If not, what schools would be a good fit for me? I would like to go into rural medicine, but I'm not sure that schools would think that I'm weird because I'm Asian and from a non-rural area.

Thanks!

Haha, I feel your pain; hopefully someone will come across this point and offer you some anecdotal evidence, because unfortunately I have none dealing with non-rural people selling the rural medicine point to schools. I guess it's akin to non-minorities applying to schools like Howard of Meharry because they are interested in practicing in underserved/minority-filled areas. Unfortunately, Howard and Meharry probably would look at many of these students as picking them as a sort of safety school (even though some of us, i.e. me, are legitimately interested in these schools).

I plan on applying for 2009 acceptance.
MCAT: 25O (PS-08 BS-08 VR-09)
GPA: 3.50
Science GPA: 3.40
Volunteer: occassional, plan on doing more for hospice or at a local hospital for over the next semester.
LOR: D.O. and M.D. also research supervisors as I'm a B.S. in Chemistry major. (6 Credits (250hrs)-research)... getting health committe LOR (no idea about how positive or negative that will be)
Experience: 2.5 years in research and developement for an analytical chemistry equipment manufacturer, laboratory experiences. Working on EMT certification.
Shadowing: Intro. to surgical care internship (M.D.s) - 20hrs/week for 14 weeks. No D.O. in the area will let me shadow.
Graduated college in 3.5 years.

Do I have a chance?

MCAT Verbal 6
Physical 8
Bio 13
Essay Q

GPA: Total: 3.3
Science: 3.0
Graduate: 3.6

Some experience in shadowing a DO and MD
Many leadership experiences
Currently teaching science at a high school

that teaching experience is a total +, western's secondary asks if you had any teaching experiences. Your verbal is really hurtful. Some schools have cut offs of 7 or even 8....but that 13 is so nice...I knew a kid who had a 14BS and a 7VR and got into PCOM, not sure about with a 6 though

I was just curious of how competitive my application is for DO school.
My numbers are
MCAT - 9PS, 8VR, 10BS (27P)
GPA - 3.4 overall, 3.1 sciences
Degree was in molecular bio

4 years of research experience in two different labs.
4 years clinical experience as EMT in hospital and ambulance.
Limited volunteer/extra curriculars (6 months volunteering @ hospital)
Good LOR's

Any insight or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Science GPA is a bit low, but overall you should get in somewhere.

Well rounded stats. You have multiple facets which makes you a well rounded applicant. You're clinical experience bears tons of weight....tons.
Your MCAT is strong, have you applied yet?
Your best shots come from applying early.
Goodluck!

Dude you are definitely in good shape for many DO schools. That said, no one is a shoe in.

Sorry, I thought this was the pre-allo section. Please ignore this post! Thank you!

This is the pre-osteopathic board. I'm sure you could get answers here but you might be better served on the pre-allo board.

This is for my friend who asked me what I thought about her chances for med school (MD), especially some of the top-tier research medical schools, and I didn't know how to answer her so I'm asking it in this thread. She doesn't have stellar GPA records, but I think her MCAT grade and her volunteer/clinical/research/personal talents slightly balance out her less than stellar GPA..

This is post is relatively long, so kudos to anyone who actually takes the time to read it. Hopefully someone will answer me, regardless! Thank you incredibly in advance, as I'm also curious since I have very similar credentials..

Overall GPA: 3.5
Science GPA: 3.31
Some comments about her GPA:
- she had a 2.79 at the end of her Sophomore year but had a 4.0 for her Junior and Senior years
- her grandmother passed away during her freshman year and her boyfriend died in a car accident during her sophomore year
- she repeated the first semester of chemistry and received a C+ (the first time around she got a C-)
- she repeated Calculus I and got a B (first time around she got a C+)
- she took Calculus II and got a D+

MCAT: 40P
Research experience: 1 year of undergraduate research in developmental biology, 1.5 years of postgraduate research in a research program, 1 abstract published, and she's in the process of writing a publication as of now

Volunteer experience:
1. She's been volunteering at the Red Cross/Red Crescent (Red Cross version at Bangladesh--country adjacent to India) since 10th grade
2. She's been volunteering at Brigham and Women's Hospital ever since her Junior year (she's still volunteering there)
3. Volunteered for one summer at a pediatrician's private practice center as well as shadowing that pediatrician
4. Shes' volunteered at a hospice

Clinical experience:
1. She's EMT certified in New York and Massachusetts and this has allowed her to help to some extent in the ER of the hospitals where her parents work (they're both physicians)
2. She's shadowed 3 Anesthesiologists, 1 Physician specializing in Infectious Diseases, 1 Gynecologist, and 1 Pediatrician

Other experiences:
1. She's helped tutor elementary school kids for a Science Olympiad for 2 years
2. She's been tutoring children with writing, reading skills, and phonics ever since 10th grade
3. year internship with the Massachusetts Breast Cancer Coalition and has volunteered for them ever since (she's created 85 participant press releases and succeeded in getting published 63 of them into various Massachusetts newspapers)
4. Since used to be obese but is very physically fit now after completing 3 10K marathons
5. She also gave a few talks during Health Ed. classes regarding how she overcame her obesity, and the importance of nutrition and some kind of daily physical activity in several NY schools

First, this should go on pre-allo board. Her MCAT is fantastic and she seems to have good ECs. However, a lot of applicants have those when applying to top tier research schools. With that said, she is 3-4 points more than the median of a lot of top schools, so I would say she has a shot. Just apply widely, and if her PS/LORs are good, she should at least get interviews.

EEL08 and Lokhtar -- Sorry, I thought this was the pre-allo section. But Lokhtar, thank you for what you said, I'll let her know!

Do schools know if you are applying to M.D. schools. I don't want to lie if they ask me where I applied, but would it now be hypocritical to say I am interested osteopathic medicine (I see lots of benefits of OMM) but also mention I am applying to M.D. schools? The M.D. schools I am applying to are mainly in geographically favorable locations, either close to home and my SO or in places I'd love to live (Utah, Oregon). Thanks!

No, they don't know. But honesty is the best policy. They will smell the BS if you try to fling it on them. And seriously, they won't care if you applied to MD schools.

Just say that.

Do schools know if you are applying to M.D. schools. I don't want to lie if they ask me where I applied, but would it now be hypocritical to say I am interested osteopathic medicine (I see lots of benefits of OMM) but also mention I am applying to M.D. schools? The M.D. schools I am applying to are mainly in geographically favorable locations, either close to home and my SO or in places I'd love to live (Utah, Oregon). Thanks!

So far, NOVA was the only school that made me list all the schools I applied to, MD and DO... and at the interview it was HORRIBLE because they not only called me on it, but one guy told me he didn't believe I was sincerely interested in osteopathic medicine bc of all the allo schools I applied to! and he was not nice about it.... he didn't let me respond to his "opinion" either... i thought the interview went terribly, but then I called yesterday and found out I got in!

If you are interested in osteopathic med, just be honest, and I don't think they hold it against you that you're trying to be a doctor "by any means necessary"

Osteopathic medical schools will only know definitively if you tell them you are also applying to allopathic medical schools. Personally, I don't think it's anybody's business what schools I am applying to. However, if I were asked about it, I'd respond honestly.

Bottom line: They don't care. It would be naive for any admissions office to think that a good chunk of their applicants don't apply to both. It's certainly a plus if you have some special interest in DO, but it's not necessarily going to count against you if are interested in both.

Unless your from Texas, I don't think they will be able to see that you applied to MD schools. AACOMAS and AMCAS aren't sharing information or anything like that.

This being said, if they ask if you applied to MD schools, I think it best to simply be honest and upfront. Don't lie or do anything dishonest. It does help your application if you are applying to osteopathic only, but unless you are interviewing at a really old fashioned DO program, I don't think applying to MD programs as well will be held against you.

Best of wishes!
C&C

Status
Not open for further replies.