2007-2008 "what are my chances"/"what should I do"/"where to apply" Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks everyone. The only thing "wrong" with my application at the moment is that I have not shadowed a DO. I understand that this is only a "requirement" at a few schools, and that most others recommend it. I have very strong letters of recommendation from an MD that I have shadowed since middle school (family friend in Florida, I go down on winter breaks) and my PI, so hopefully that will work. Also, I know the requirement is a year of english...I have a semester of english composition and then I have a science class that is designated "writing intensive" by Wash U (one of our pre-reqs). Will this fly? If not, can I indicate to the school somewhere that I can take a course this spring?

NSUCOM requires 3 credits of English Comp and 3 credits of English Lit. They interview without all the requirements but I think you have to take them before you matriculate.

Members don't see this ad.

NSUCOM requires 3 credits of English Comp and 3 credits of English Lit. They interview without all the requirements but I think you have to take them before you matriculate.

Okay so stupid question, what classes might be considered English Lit?

Members don't see this ad :)
I substituted an Old Testament class as "english lit" on aacomas. MSUCOM won't take it, but everyone else did...

Interesting. One of my majors was Bible so I actually put down some classes as English according to AACOMAS but then they changed them to non-science. I'll have to figure out what I need to take. Thanks!

Did you go to a seminary? What schools allow you to major in Bible? And what does one do with a degree in Bible? Is it a lot of historical stuff, where they go into more detail about some of the events depicted? That would actually be pretty interesting.

I went to a private Christian high school, and Bible was a class that we had every year. We had to memorize a verse every week, which I almost always would do like 5 minutes before the quiz.

Did you go to a seminary? What schools allow you to major in Bible? And what does one do with a degree in Bible? Is it a lot of historical stuff, where they go into more detail about some of the events depicted? That would actually be pretty interesting.

I went to a private Christian high school, and Bible was a class that we had every year. We had to memorize a verse every week, which I almost always would do like 5 minutes before the quiz.

I went to a Bible College and everyone gets a degree in Bible and a specialty or double major. My other major was counseling. It was a lot of classes, very in detail and I have to admit I can't remember most of it.

Hey guys, I have a 3.06 (3.1?) overall gpa and 2.9 science, with no upward trend. Seriously just a bunch of B's sprinkled with a couple A's and C's over the 4 years.

I applied this summer and I'm working on secondaries, one of which wants me to comment on my academic performance!!!!

Am I totally screwed? How do I even approach this?

Hey guys, I have a 3.06 (3.1?) overall gpa and 2.9 science, with no upward trend. Seriously just a bunch of B's sprinkled with a couple A's and C's over the 4 years.

I applied this summer and I'm working on secondaries, one of which wants me to comment on my academic performance!!!!

How is your MCAT and ec's?

Well, talk about your 27 MCAT . . . that's a good academic achievement! :D

Remember, highlight the positive!!! Talk about the classes that you got A's and B's in (hopefully some upper division bio classes). Also talk about the classes that interested you the most (hopefully upper division bio and biochem, since that’s what you'll be taking in the first 2 years of med school).

Good Luck :luck:

Hey-

I'm actually not applying until next cycle but was just curious about my DO school selection. I'm really only planning on applying to the older, more established schools, but wonder if its too few and too "top heavy"?

You can check out my stats on my MDapps link. I'm taking the MCAT in January and I have only taken two practice tests so far (diagnostic and one other) and got a 27 on the second, so hopefully thats a good indicator of my actual score.

Here are the schools I am applying to for sure:

PCOM
CCOM
KCUM
NYCOM
OSU-COM
UMDNJ-SOM
UNECOM
WESTERN-COM

Thanks for your input, and please don't get on my case about thinking about this too early...its just the way I do things!:D

Hey-

I'm actually not applying until next cycle but was just curious about my DO school selection. I'm really only planning on applying to the older, more established schools, but wonder if its too few and too "top heavy"?

You can check out my stats on my MDapps link. I'm taking the MCAT in January and I have only taken two practice tests so far (diagnostic and one other) and got a 27 on the second, so hopefully thats a good indicator of my actual score.

Here are the schools I am applying to for sure:

PCOM
CCOM
KCUMB
NYCOM
OSU-COM
UMDNJ-SOM
UNECOM
WESTERN-COM

Thanks for your input, and please don't get on my case about thinking about this too early...its just the way I do things!:D

OSU-COM has a 5 year commitment to stay in Ohio after graduation, just fYI (I found this out after I applied).

Your list looks good. What about DMU? They're one of the older and more established schools too. Maybe add ATSU/KCOM too?

I'm sure you know about PNWU, the new school in Yakima, WA. Keep your eye on them next year because you would be a shoe in since you're from WA.

Good luck on the MCAT! I think it's great that you're starting early; I'm like that too so I understand :)

I think you mean OUCOM...I doubt OSUCOM has a five year commitment.

My bad. Yes, I meant OUCOM.

That would be weird if Oklahoma State University had a 5 year commitment to stay in Ohio after graduation. :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello,

I had a not-so-great freshman year and got a C in General Bio 1 (4 hr) and B- in General Chem 1 (5 hr). I'm now a junior and have transferred to another major university. The C in the 4 credit hour biology course is pulling my GPA down more than i'd like. Do you think it would be beneficial to repeat a general biology course? I'm certain i'd receive an A.

Another question: since i'm at a new school, it wouldn't be the same course technically. would it replace the first general biology grade in the calcuation of my GPA even if the course is listed under a different course number at my new university?

Thanks for your help! :)

OSU has a requirement that you "come after me! I'm a man! I'm 40 years old!"

OSU-COM has a 5 year commitment to stay in Ohio after graduation, just fYI (I found this out after I applied).

Your list looks good. What about DMU? They're one of the older and more established schools too. Maybe add ATSU/KCOM too?

I'm sure you know about PNWU, the new school in Yakima, WA. Keep your eye on them next year because you would be a shoe in since you're from WA.

Good luck on the MCAT! I think it's great that you're starting early; I'm like that too so I understand :)

DMU and ATSU/KCOM would most likely not be a good fit for me because of their location. I couldn't stand being isolated in a rural area and am not interested in practicing in in a rural area.

DMU and ATSU/KCOM would most likely not be a good fit for me because of their location. I couldn't stand being isolated in a rural area and am not interested in practicing in in a rural area.

Yeah, I understand. Well, then your list looks good! :D

I got a 28,
have a 3.2 overall gpa
3.3 science
21-female

and I'll be done with my transcripts and app somewhere in november hopefully, also i shadowed a DO doctor but she won't write me a recomm it's been months, but I can have that done mid-november.

what do you think guys?

Hey there! I was in a similar situation. My freshman year bio I got a C in the second semester (10 years ago), and got a few other C's along the way. I needed a GPA boost, so I retook the Bio this past summer and got an A. It was at a different school, and for different number of credit hours, and AACOMAS just counted the retake. The course numbers don't matter, as long as they are equivalent classes. If you are not sure, check with an advisor at the school to verify that it is the same.

Good luck with your retake!

That means nothing without the rest of your application (PS, extras, LORs etc)

I got a 28,
have a 3.2 overall gpa
3.3 science
21-female

and I'll be done with my transcripts and app somewhere in november hopefully, also i shadowed a DO doctor but she won't write me a recomm it's been months, but I can have that done mid-november.

what do you think guys?

The numbers look fine. I would try to get your application done as quickly as possible, since there will be a delay by the time the schools process your application. Some schools will then send out a secondary application, which will take additional time for you to fill out, then more processing before finally getting an interview date...

So in short, spend less time on SDN asking about your chances, and more time getting your application ready. Chop chop!:D

great! that's what i wanted to hear! thanks for your reply. :D

My freshman year was also awful. I had about a 2.4 gpa for my entire freshman year. I retook the algebra class that I got a D in and left my C in Gen Chem I alone. After that I busted my ... and ended up making my freshman year look like I was adjusting to a new environment. I am sure if msucom had interviewed its applicants this year I would have been asked to explain what happend that year. As long as you can put a positive spin on somthing they ask you, that to you is a negative is fine. ex. "What happend your freshman year? Your grades are very low." response: "Coming to college fresh out of highschool was a completly new experiance for me and once I knew that I was going to persue medicine I knew the way things were going were not going to cut it. So after my freshman year my grades dromatically changed. another ex.

I had to withdraw from calculus a 2 years ago and retook it in the summer and Aced it. If they asked about it I would have told them my grand mother became very il and I felt it purtinent to help take care of her but I only withrew from calculus to lighten the load of my schedule so that my time could be better spend elsewhere.

Hey guys, my normal GPA is 3.4 and my science is around 2.6 (Bs, Cs and an F in CALC IV).

Of course, the math doesn't count in AACOMAS science grade (but that doesn't help me much as I have As in stat to offset that anyway). I will be starting post-bac next year, and if I do well (the courses I took will be replaced), I should have a 3.7 science GPA and a 3.5 overall GPA.

If I want to be competitive for an osteopathic school, what should I aim for on my MCAT? Obviously, the higher the better, but this will give me some realistic idea. I don't have much of a preference on which school and would go wherever accepted. Since I haven't taken the pre-reqs yet, its a while still till the MCAT but I am getting worried.

are you talking about your post bac gpa will be 3.7 or your total science gpa? I don't really see how it could be raised to a 3.7 from a 2.6. Are you retaking courses? Anyway, the best thing to do is not to worry too much about the numbers and just do the best you can! As far as the MCAT, you should shoot for the absolute best that you can do! Why shoot for anything less?? But, I understand you want to know what would make you competitive. Just remember MCAT for osteopathic schools is usually pretty low (25/26) so a 30+ would look really good!

24Q MCAT
3.7 CUM
3.5 Science
3.9 Non-Science

BIOLOGY major
CHEMISTRY, BIOETHICS minor

All upper class BIO were A's, maybe one A-, C in Biochemistry though. Never got anything lower then an A in Physics and Normal Chemistry classes (ex. orgo, biochem).

EC, Club Member with some board membership, 50hrs Volunteer ER, some Shadowing, Enterprenuer (Cafe owner... maybe opening up a second cafe soon), etc.

What are my chances at Western? I just got my completion notification, wondering if I have a chance with them or not.

24Q MCAT
3.7 CUM
3.5 Science
3.9 Non-Science

BIOLOGY major
CHEMISTRY, BIOETHICS minor

All upper class BIO were A's, maybe one A-, C in Biochemistry though. Never got anything lower then an A in Physics and Normal Chemistry classes (ex. orgo, biochem).

EC, Club Member with some board membership, 50hrs Volunteer ER, some Shadowing, Enterprenuer (Cafe owner... maybe opening up a second cafe soon), etc.

What are my chances at Western? I just got my completion notification, wondering if I have a chance with them or not.

it may be a bit tough since your mcat is lower than their avg mcat. i'd apply broadly if i were you. it's still worth a shot at western though.

it may be a bit tough since your mcat is lower than their avg mcat. i'd apply broadly if i were you. it's still worth a shot at western though.

i know, trust me. i already had 1 interview, and 2 more in the near future. I have applied broadly, just wondering if i have any chance there cuz its a good school.

are you talking about your post bac gpa will be 3.7 or your total science gpa? I don't really see how it could be raised to a 3.7 from a 2.6. Are you retaking courses? Anyway, the best thing to do is not to worry too much about the numbers and just do the best you can! As far as the MCAT, you should shoot for the absolute best that you can do! Why shoot for anything less?? But, I understand you want to know what would make you competitive. Just remember MCAT for osteopathic schools is usually pretty low (25/26) so a 30+ would look really good!

Yes, I have only taken four science courses (all quarter credit, not semester) and all of them will be retaken because they are 5+ years old anyway (and the fact that I need to improve the grade).

Just to add, because the courses I took are quarter, they do not satisfy the requirements.

Basically, I took Physics I but due to the quarter system, Physics I, Physics II and Physics III would equal Physics I & II in a normal semester system. And since I can't join about .75 of the way through Physics I semester course, I'd have to retake it.

I just finished my AACOMAS application today and I am wondering what my chances are for getting accepted into a DO school.

I have a gpa of 3.7 a science gpa of 3.6 (I hope this is what AACOM calculates as well)

I got a 9PS 8VR 11BS and M on my MCAT but I retook it again and awaiting my scores which I am 90% sure will be better because my AAMC practice tests scores were greatly increased from 25 to 36.

I am older - 25 - and have had some medical problems in my past that delayed my graduation, but I have done volunteering in the medical field and have shadowed 3 physicians 1 a DO, but I don't have a LOR from the DO. The only person I could get a LOR from would be an MD. Do you think I have a chance? I am FL resident and have applied to FL schools as well as some others.

I just finished my AACOMAS application today and I am wondering what my chances are for getting accepted into a DO school.

I have a gpa of 3.7 a science gpa of 3.6 (I hope this is what AACOM calculates as well)

I got a 9PS 8VR 11BS and M on my MCAT but I retook it again and awaiting my scores which I am 90% sure will be better because my AAMC practice tests scores were greatly increased from 25 to 36.

I am older - 25 - and have had some medical problems in my past that delayed my graduation, but I have done volunteering in the medical field and have shadowed 3 physicians 1 a DO, but I don't have a LOR from the DO. The only person I could get a LOR from would be an MD. Do you think I have a chance? I am FL resident and have applied to FL schools as well as some others.

Your numbers are good. I think you have a good chance. GL.

my numbers arent as good as hers...and im debating whether or not to go ahead and submit an application anyhow.

my GPA is 3.6
BCPM GPA (3.7)
This comes from over 220+ units of course work
my MCAT was 8,6,8 R = 22-R
i think the MCAT will get me rejected right away...but i believe that i have enough extracurricular experience to make them reconsider....what would you think?
im one click away from sending in my application...and spending $400

PS: my plan is to retake the MCAT, which I hope to do at the end of next spring...pending that i dont get in anywhere.

22 is border line but your gpa is good! if you can afford the money then apply! I think you might have some luck. Medical school admissions is always a gamble!

22 is border line but your gpa is good! if you can afford the money then apply! I think you might have some luck. Medical school admissions is always a gamble!

:thumbup: I concur, Dr. Huckaaa. :D

my numbers arent as good as hers...and im debating whether or not to go ahead and submit an application anyhow.

my GPA is 3.6
BCPM GPA (3.7)
This comes from over 220+ units of course work
my MCAT was 8,6,8 R = 22-R
i think the MCAT will get me rejected right away...but i believe that i have enough extracurricular experience to make them reconsider....what would you think?
im one click away from sending in my application...and spending $400

PS: my plan is to retake the MCAT, which I hope to do at the end of next spring...pending that i dont get in anywhere.

Stop stalling, dude! Applying later can only hurt you; I thought you submitted weeks ago when you asked this! Apply ASAP.

Hi,
I'm a newbie to this site. I was wondering what you guys thought my chances were for getting into medical school.

My undergraduate GPA was 3.54 with a science gpa of 3.69. I have extensive research background in a medical school setting and at the NIH. I have taken the MCAT twice and each time did not do so well. I always seem to have trouble with standardized tests. I went onto complete my masters degree at Johns Hopkins and finished my thesis there, graduating with a gpa of 3.56. I took the MCAT in August and only scored a 22. I have participated in numerous activities related to the clinical field, such as volunteering and a preceptorship. I really can't wait to begin medical school and it seems that the only thing holding me back is the stupid score on the mcat.
What do you guys think?

Hi,
I'm a newbie to this site. I was wondering what you guys thought my chances were for getting into medical school.

My undergraduate GPA was 3.54 with a science gpa of 3.69. I have extensive research background in a medical school setting and at the NIH. I have taken the MCAT twice and each time did not do so well. I always seem to have trouble with standardized tests. I went onto complete my masters degree at Johns Hopkins and finished my thesis there, graduating with a gpa of 3.56. I took the MCAT in August and only scored a 22. I have participated in numerous activities related to the clinical field, such as volunteering and a preceptorship. I really can't wait to begin medical school and it seems that the only thing holding me back is the stupid score on the mcat.
What do you guys think?

Hi,

What do you guys think?

Not to be mean, but to give you my honest opinion, I think a 22 sucks. Study more, or differently (or both) and retake it again. Are you doing practice tests to get used to the real thing? Of course if you apply early and to every DO school next cycle you will probably get in somewhere with a 22. But it might not be the school that would be the best fit for you/or your top choice.

Good luck! :)

I wouldn't put much faith into this, but here is a link that might at least give you an idea of which schools are more competitive.

http://www.studentdoc.com/do-school-search.html

As someone who had similar circumstances I think you are best to wait and improve your MCAT score. I held off on applying, took a Kaplan review course and improved my score by 6 points. You may get into to somewhere with the 22, but wouldn't you want to wait and improve your score to get into somewhere you want to go, rather than settling. Just my opinion.

After applying very early and being complete I am currently sitting on 2 acceptances and a few more interview invites with a lower GPA than yours. The break year was a good time for me to get letters together and reaffirm my desire to head into medicine. Not to mention to make money to pay for the expensive Kaplan course, although in my opinion it was well worth it. Hope this helps.

As someone who had similar circumstances I think you are best to wait and improve your MCAT score. I held off on applying, took a Kaplan review course and improved my score by 6 points. You may get into to somewhere with the 22, but wouldn't you want to wait and improve your score to get into somewhere you want to go, rather than settling. Just my opinion.

After applying very early and being complete I am currently sitting on 2 acceptances and a few more interview invites with a lower GPA than yours. The break year was a good time for me to get letters together and reaffirm my desire to head into medicine. Not to mention to make money to pay for the expensive Kaplan course, although in my opinion it was well worth it. Hope this helps.

Good advice, and you put it a little more "friendly" than I did! :thumbup:

And grats on your 2 acceptances! :)

I actually have a different idea than the other posters. I feel you should apply now while the iron is hot. meaning the longer you wait the less determination you will have for your goals. Some people may disagree with me on this and say no matter how long you wait it should never stop you but it just makes it harder to apply later :). I didn't have a very good mcat score my first time and got a 21 second time got a 24. Which isn't much better and my gpa was around what yours is soccer12 and I did ZERO research. I got into my top choice of schools MSUCOM in early september. If you wait another year then thats a year you could have been through ms1 and starting ms2. In general the medical school you go to doesn't matter it is what you make of the situation your in. So those who are saying oh don't apply your score is to low. Oh and here is a thought :idea:. Once you don't get in or to the school you want THEN retake it. Good Luck Soccer12!!!!;)

Personally I had a similar circumstance of getting a 22 on the April 07 MCAT. I talked with the schools I wanted to go to in order to get an idea of what they think when they see scores like that. One school told me that starting this fall they admitted someone who was a non-traditional student, had been out of school for quite a while and only scored a 22. They felt the person was stellar in every aspect (except MCAT of course).

At the same time, the OOS schools told me I needed a 24 min to even be looked at.

So moral of story, start studying now for the next MCAT (some schools will consider a Jan 08 since you have one current MCAT score) and call or visit (not just email) the admission's office and try to talk to someone other than the secretary. Most of the time they will not want to take that kind of question and put you through to an advisor or someone official!

Best of Luck!!!

HD

To the OP ... your MCAT is a little on the low side, however, your GPA, work, and EC (research) seem very solid. A masters from JHU ... that is going to look good (imo). I think your chances would be fine, but if you are worried ... the only answer is to approach the MCAT differently, and score higher.

If you had trouble both times with the MCAT, maybe you should apply to a few selective schools and try your luck. I think your GPA could go a long way in helping push your application through.

First off I wanted to state that I WILL NOT BE APPLYING THIS YEAR. Rather my plan is to apply next year, but I wanted to plan ahead and I guess just give myself a little peace of mind that things are ok. My stats are my gpa is a 3.65 with my sgpa around a 3.7. I took the MCAT this summer and got a 30 (10,10,10). The thing is that I received a D in a philosophy course my sophmore year (I retook the course and got an A) and basically screwed up my sophmore year and first semester of my junior year (3.0 all 3 of those semesters). I have had a very nice upward trend since then.
My plan was to only apply to the well established and older DO schools such as:
PCOM
CCOM
KCUM
NYCOM
OSU-COM
UMDNJ-SOM
UNECOM
WESTERN-COM
ATSU/KCOM
DMU

I wanted to know how competitive I was at these schools. BTW I am an Illinois resident. Thanks a lot guys.

Hey Folks, I'm new to SDN and wanted a little advice. I am a junior at UNC-CH and am planning on applying in May for admission for August 2009. I just recently decided to pursue the osteopathic medical field and therefore my stats aren't as high as they could be. It looks like I will be applying in May/June with:

-3.2 Cumulative (sharp increase in trend starting Fall 2007)
-3.01 Science GPA
-More than 2,500 Clinical Hours as an EMT
-Shadowing D.O. for couple of months
-Random service events throughout college
-Public Service Scholar at UNC
-EMT-Basic Instructor for local community college

I am taking the MCAT in April but on the practice one I scored a 28.

Any thoughts on the competitiveness of my application and which schools I would be exceptionally competitive at.

Thanks-

Cam

Hey Folks, I'm new to SDN and wanted a little advice. I am a junior at UNC-CH and am planning on applying in May for admission for August 2009. I just recently decided to pursue the osteopathic medical field and therefore my stats aren't as high as they could be. It looks like I will be applying in May/June with:

-3.2 Cumulative (sharp increase in trend starting Fall 2007)
-3.01 Science GPA
-More than 2,500 Clinical Hours as an EMT
-Shadowing D.O. for couple of months
-Random service events throughout college
-Public Service Scholar at UNC
-EMT-Basic Instructor for local community college

I am taking the MCAT in April but on the practice one I scored a 28.

Any thoughts on the competitiveness of my application and which schools I would be exceptionally competitive at.

Thanks-

Cam

Your EC's look pretty good...make sure you secure a letter of recommendation from the D.O. you shadow (that will be an enormous help). My only advice would be to rock the MCAT...to compensate for your lower GPA. I would aim for the 28+ (if your practice scores are 28 in Oct. that bodes well for April :) ) Also, apply broadly. Good luck to you! :luck:

Status
Not open for further replies.