2007 AF IFB Projection Reults

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Good luck to everyone. I really hope everybody gets what they want...

However, if you don't get the specialty or location that you want, just know that it is not the end of the world. For those that don't match, there are plenty of current GMO/Flight Surgeons on this site that can give any advice that you might need and where to proceed from here.

Looking at the IFB, I am predicting that 25% will not get their residency of choice unless they are willing to make certain concessions (i.e. OK with doing a FP, Peds, or IM residency even though they want to do something else).

Once again, best of luck to everyone

Good luck everyone.

Be very careful about going for a second choice in a residency that has plenty of open slots but that you don't really want to do. Be very careful about even listing it as a second choice, because odds are you'll get it, and that's a very long way to spend 6-8 years.

(Internship's long enough. :p)

Members don't see this ad :)
(Internship's long enough. :p)

Ha! Enjoy it while you can. Myself and the 2 other flight surgeons that I arrived with look back fondly on our intern years and would much rather be back there than our current positions. Don't get me wrong my job is not that bad, it's just I am so bored more days than not seeing URIs, ankle sprains, LBP, knee pain, and headaches day in and day out.

While I was going through intern year, I could not wait for it to be over. Kind of a different sorry now though :(

Oh...crap. :p

Heh, I'm working as an IM intern now and I'm seeing a ton of LBP (sorry folks, but it happens when you've got 75 lbs of chub hanging over your belt) and in two weeks I've already heard the sentence "Sorry doc, 3mg of morphine never touches my back pain, but Dilaudid always seems to help" more times than I thought possible. That's something for your PCP to deal with buddy.

So as a flight surgeon are you mostly taking care of pilots or are you in clinic seeing just about everyone? What's your weekly schedule usually like - weekends off? Thanks.

Oh...crap. :p

Heh, I'm working as an IM intern now and I'm seeing a ton of LBP (sorry folks, but it happens when you've got 75 lbs of chub hanging over your belt) and in two weeks I've already heard the sentence "Sorry doc, 3mg of morphine never touches my back pain, but Dilaudid always seems to help" more times than I thought possible. That's something for your PCP to deal with buddy.

So as a flight surgeon are you mostly taking care of pilots or are you in clinic seeing just about everyone? What's your weekly schedule usually like - weekends off? Thanks.

Mon-Fri 0645-1700, but varies...Typical schedule as follows

Mon AM Sick call/Clinic
Mon PM Admin time (Paperwork, shop visits, meeting, etc.)
Tues AM Sick Call/Squadron Time
Tues PM Admin
Wed AM Sick Call/Clinic
Wed PM MDG Training (All clinics closed to patient care)
Thur AM+PM Fly Day
Fri AM Return to Fly Status/Annual Exams
Fri PM Waiver list review/1042 meeting (We review which fliers are DNIF, why, and their current status/planned for return to fly status)

All weekends are off except for the occasional weekend where the flight surgeon on call has to come in on a Saturday for "Reserves weekend", where we see only people on Reserve status and do annual physicals. I am generally on call for 1 week every 6-7 weeks and take call from home, basically telling people to either go to ED, urgent care, pick up a rx at their local pharmacy or wait until the morning and come into sick call.

In addition to pilots, we take car of navigators, air weapons officers, air battle managers, flight engineers, among others. At my base, we have close to 2500 people on flying status that we are responsible and this does not include their hypochondriac/neurotic/demanding/ungrateful dependents. :smuggrin:

Does anybody actually know what a Clinical Quality fellowship is?

Sounds pretty sweeeeeeet :laugh:

I can't open this file---could someone tell me how many slots are available in EM??:confused:
Thanks

EM has 20 spots. 8 in San Antonio, 6 at Wright Patt.

What I learned last year is that these are simply projections, so the real match can have quite different numbers, particularly in regards to civilian/deferred positions. Will they really have 16 deferred OB/Gyns or 10 in psych?

Anyone note the significant decrease in orthopedics? There were >20 spots last year, now only 8.

They also insist on sending residents to Kessler, despite their inability to meet RRC approval in surgery, OB, etc.