2007 Application Cycle Support Group

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

melissainsd

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, there have been a lot of “woe is me” threads. Yes, this is yet another of them, but with one important difference. Whenever someone posts about having no interviews, they get a bunch of responses from people telling them they didn’t apply early enough or should have spent more time researching, volunteering, or saving African babies. OR if you are brave enough to try and post for support and you already have an acceptance you will be flamed by people waiting to hear from any school.

Sometimes people don’t want advice on how to improve their app. The application process is painful and sometimes you just want to vent and have someone say, “You’re right, this sucks.”

This is my attempt at a flame ******ant thread. I’ll go first:

I have been waitlisted or put on hold by 4 of my top 6 schools (and have yet to hear from 2). Yes, I have acceptances and m very grateful for them. It just sucks to love a school and get no love back.

Members don't see this ad.

as an old friend of melissas, I can vouch for the fact that she is quite nice, and is not trying to offend anyone... and I agree with her there shouldnt be so much animosity on SDN - if you dont like a topic, why not just not post and said thread? -it is that easy...

so good lucks melissa, i think you should borrow my flamesuit too in addition to putting yours on, and we will see how this turns out...

-and dont worry so much about your waitlists, I am sure one of them will come through in the end!

Members don't see this ad :)
Agreed, but that's life. You can't always get what you want. But here's hoping, you get what you need.

Much love. :)

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjtBXNVglQY[/YOUTUBE]

:laugh: Thanks for the vid. It actually did cheer me up (along with Mike-whom always cheers me up).

Yeah, well, It's hard to get love from Harvard...Mayo...Hopkins...

They're dirty coldblooded ******...flirt with everyone's emotions... makes them wait and agonizing long time before finally ripping our hearts out...

Makes me think of that one Simpsons episode where the girl rips out Bart's heart and throws it and it hits the wall and slides down into the garbage can still beating :idea:

1 waitlist, 1 no response yet post-interview, 1 upcoming interview, 13 no response pre-interview, 3 pre-interview holds, 11 rejections (including my top choice)...:scared:

18 applied, 5 rejections, 1 pre interview hold, 0 interviews, here's to another application year :( . This time im submitting june 1 at 12 midnight

Congrats to everyone who has an acceptance. And I understand how much it still sucks to not be accepted to the school you really loved.
As for me, I think even a waitlist might make me happy. (maybe I should take that back. Don't want to jinx it)
So far I have two post-interview rejections, one post-interview active consideration, and am waiting on the rest of the schools I interviewed at. The active consideration came as a little sigh of relief since it wasn't a rejection though.
I think what's worse is everyone is telling me "oh you'll get in because you had blank number of interviews". Um, isn't each school independent from the other?? BUT I figure if I don't get in I could become one of those pre-med stories. "Oh I know a girl who, blah blah blah and still didn't get in" :D
:luck: to everyone

This is my second application cycle, and I only applied to two in state schools. 1 acceptance, 1 still waiting to hear post-interview. And yeah, it blows not getting any love for your top choice, but no complaining here.

I know how hard it is to go through an app period without ANY love. Stick to your guns. Fix what you can, move on, and apply next year - EARLY!

Good luck phishee, Daydreamer2008, Anjlprincezz :luck:

Have you guys tried sending letters of interest to the schools you are waiting to hear from? It may not help you get in but at least you will feel like your doing something (that's what I'm doing).

Good luck phishee, Daydreamer2008, Anjlprincezz :luck:

Have you guys tried sending letters of interest to the schools you are waiting to hear from? It may not help you get in but at least you will feel like your doing something (that's what I'm doing).

Thanks melissainsd. I sent one letter of interest, but I'm worried it might not have made it in time for the committee meeting. I was debating whether to send it to the rest of the schools because I didn't want to be annoying. But you're right--at least I will know I did everything I could.

ya some days its hard to keep up the motivation, but i keep sending in those update letters, calling from time to time for my status, etc. This is definitely the hardest thing i have ever done. Once I am accepted into med school (someday), I know that I can accomplish anything or get through whatever life may throw at me :D