2007 Application Process for International Dentists

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tahaza

BU Class of 2010
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, you think that you've got all the requirements for applying to "advanced standing" or "Internationally trained dentist" programs at US dental schools. That's where the confusion begins. For someone like me who has no clue about the US dental schools, except a couple of names, and has not personally checked them yet ( which is practically impossible! ), this is a big challenge: Choosing the schools. I have my own criteria of course. The application time table ( I want to start as soon as possible), the tuition and fees - including living expenses - ( I want to lower my debts as much as I can, so that I'll be able to pay them back as soon as possible ), and some other factors like patient pool, school's reputation, continuing education and research opportunities, etc.

What I got :

Toefl iBT: 113

NBDE I : 91

GPA (ECE) : 3.50

Experience: 2 years as a DA and observer (before graduation from dental school) and 2 years as a DDS in my home country, 4 months as a DA for a Pediatric Dentist in the States.

Nationality: Iranian

Other: A published translation (Burket's Oral Medicine) in Iran, A published paper in the US ( my doctoral thesis research project results) - presented at AADSM 15th Annual Meeting in Salt Lake, Utah.

What I want:

5 universities to apply to.

If you are putting things together to apply this year, or if you already are a student, or you have any idea at all about the issue, please share it with others here.

This is the spreadsheet I made which includes about all the dental schools in the US which have an ISP,PASS, or Advanced Standing Program for internationally trained dentists. You can help me to correct it or possibly add up some more useful information to it. The ADA's "UNITED STATES LICENSURE FOR INTERNATIONAL DENTISTS" (JANUARY 2006) provided me with the basic framework and was the main resource for the universities' websites.

I have uploaded the link in my weblog, please post your comments either here under this thread or in Tahaza.

Thank you all.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Tahaza,
very very useful thanks I think for UIC also you need PR card, iam not sure if u have marked it, gud luc to u and am sure u will be successful.

Tahaza
Thank you for the research you have made!!! Though, there are a few "errors" in your table. It would be great if you add a column regarding the practical examination during the interview day.

UPenn: Three letters of recommendation are needed for the appication.

UIC: TOEFL scores could be sent directly from the applicant in the sealed envelope. Application fee -- $150. Tuition costs are about $160k.

kareena
I think for UIC also you need PR card
True. SUNY Buffalo applicants must have a GC also.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Tahaza,
very very useful thanks I think for UIC also you need PR card, iam not sure if u have marked it, gud luc to u and am sure u will be successful.

The university considers any student who currently holds a visa of any type or is seeking a visa to be international. Even if you do not require a student (F or J) visa to attend UIC, you are viewed as an international applicant. Most policies which apply to those seeking student visas will apply to holders of other types of visas.

" ... International Student:
For the university’s purposes, this is anyone who currently holds a visa of any type or who is in need of an I-20 (F1 Visa) or DS-2019 (J1 Visa)." ...

Source: http://www.uic.edu/depts/oar/apply/international-graduate.html

Thanks

Taha

Thank you for your time, I'll double check the information you pointed out, and update the table.

UIC:

Source

In order to be eligible to apply for admission, applicants must meet the following criteria:

1. Possess documentation of one of the following residency statuses: US citizen, permanent resident, refugee or asylee. Applicants on visa status will NOT be considered for this program.

2. Have a dental degree from a country outside the United States and Canada.

You are absolutely right. What I was referring to, is actually the general (not Dental) requirements for applying to UIC. The source you provided is the correct web page for the Dental School. Thanks.

no the website you are looking at t in general the programs for internationa l students like may be M.S. OR ANY other but for DDS you need to be a permanent resident

no the website you are looking at t in general the programs for internationa l students like may be M.S. OR ANY other but for DDS you need to be a permanent resident

Thank you Kareena and Deia. I already updated the table, and I'm going to add the programs Deia mentioned to the spreadsheet and upload the updated version again.

HI TAHAZA

do u know that for UPENN 3 LOR that too in sealed envelope and with signature of refree across the seal

since i did not know it earlier, i am stuck as I am in states know and have the letters but not in signed and sealed envelope.........wat should I do.....have u applied ..........:confused:

HI TAHAZA

do u know that for UPENN 3 LOR that too in sealed envelope and with signature of refree across the seal

since i did not know it earlier, i am stuck as I am in states know and have the letters but not in signed and sealed envelope.........wat should I do.....have u applied ..........:confused:

Hi SPT,

No, I dont have any idea about that, you know , actually 2 of the 3 LORs that I've got, are not sealed either, so consider me in the same boat :scared: and let us know if you got any info.

hi! if you guys have family or firends back in your country you can send them the letters and ask them to post them back to you in the US; that's what i did..it takes a little time, so the sooner the better;)
good luck

tahaza, since you have worked in the US you can ask them to write you a recom. letter..it looks better then those from our own country...sad but true

hey tahaza

did u find abt the recommendeation letters requirement for UPENN.....
AND have u started applying ................

Hi SPT,

No, I dont have any idea about that, you know , actually 2 of the 3 LORs that I've got, are not sealed either, so consider me in the same boat :scared: and let us know if you got any info.

Send them to me. I shall sign it for you. :laugh:

Thanks for the note. I am still in / around my school in India, I shall get them signed. BTW, did you guys take NBDE exam, how long did it take for you? I am currently doing my internship and would be done by August 2nd week. Can any one think, I could apply for universities after I stop by and write exam in August last week?

Apurva