2007 CA1 position wanted

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

telegoat

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a DO intern training in Portland, Maine and I decided a bit late that I definitely want to practice anesthesia and pain management. I have a background in massage, acupuncture, and osteopathy and I'm quite motivated and a hard worker. To date, I've performed nearly fifty intubations, fifteen LPs, and numerous IVs as a student and intern. I'm looking for a 2007 CA1 position and I'm hoping some of you may know of positions that are open or opening... Any info would be greatly appreciated. I have a great sense of humor and enjoy the outdoor activities including telemark skiing, climbing, mtn biking, and surfing. I'm from the Northwest but I've lived in Maine for five years. I would consider anywhere in the country! A single malt scotch to anyone with a productive lead!

Best,
Michael

Members don't see this ad.

First the bad news:

Odds are that you're not going to find one at this time. Most of the CA1 2007 spots when through the match last year, and the few that programs have held open for late-comers are typically filled now. The other bad news is that most of the 2008 CA1 spots are going to be filled through the current match, and the interview season for those is basically done, so you're too late for those.

However, you may get lucky and find a 2007 CA1 spot, and you have a chance for a 2008 CA1 spot. Here's what you need to do. Create a CV and a cover letter explaining your interest in anesthesia. I'd probably leave out the "fifty intubations, fifteen LPs, and numerous IVs as a student and intern." Those in and of themselves probably aren't going to impress anyone as anesthesia is far more than intubating, placing an IV and doing a spinal. I'd favor someone who spent time with an anesthesiologist and only intubated 3 people and blown every IV they tried over someone who decided they liked to intubate people but never spent time in the OR with an anesthesiologist. If you have never done an anesthesia rotation, you need to get some exposure, even if it is on your day off.

Go to the FREIDA database at the AMA web page and get the name and address of each program director in the country. Send each of them a copy of your cover letter and CV. You can use Microsoft Word to create a personalized form letter (look up mail merge). Print these out on nice paper and use your printer to print the envelopes. In the cover letter, you should explain that you're currently an intern (which means you can go outside the match), why you want to do anesthesia, and that you're interested in a 2007 or 2008 CA1 position. If you want to have any hope of getting a 2007 spot, you need to do this immediately. You can also try calling every program. If you decide to call, I'd also suggest sending the CV and cover letter.

The other thing to do is see if you can come up with anything in the scramble. You may want to also mention your interest in any possible scramble positions should they be available.

You can also get to pain by PM&R which may or may note be easier. You can try for a 2007 (unlikely) or 2008 PGY2 position with the same CV and cover letter method as well as through the scramble.

And if this is what you really want to do, submit an ERAS this September and try for a 2009 CA1 spot through the match. In addition to being considered for a greater number of CA1 spots, you may also get an offer for a 2008 CA1 position.

I'm not trying to be harsh, just realistic.

Good luck.

Call up Illinois Masonic here in Chicago. They are a friendly bunch and will at least listen to you. Let em know your situation.