Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

2007 classmates?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Incendiary, May 11, 2002.

  1. Incendiary

    Incendiary Fantabulous Member

    Joined:
    Nov 12, 2001
    Messages:
    416
    Likes Received:
    0
    Anyone else here deferring a year (or two)?
     
  2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

  3. Cdc28p

    Cdc28p Senior Member

    Joined:
    Mar 13, 2002
    Messages:
    325
    Likes Received:
    0
    I might. It depends on whether I get a fellowship I'm applying to or not. A year away from school would be a nice break, a good opportunity to reflect on what's important in my life and to reignite the fire inside me that has been brutally extinguished by this damn, stupid, expensive, artificial application process.

    Are you deferring for sure? What will you do?
     
  4. Incendiary

    Incendiary Fantabulous Member

    Joined:
    Nov 12, 2001
    Messages:
    416
    Likes Received:
    0
    I didn't know you were considering deferring. For what fellowship are you applying?

    I'm thinking of several things. I'll send you a PM with more details, but most likely I'll teach math or chemistry in high school and start a company with some friends. I need some time to relax and recharge as well.

    How about you?

    Anyone else? SMW, I know you're out there...
     
  5. Cdc28p

    Cdc28p Senior Member

    Joined:
    Mar 13, 2002
    Messages:
    325
    Likes Received:
    0
    I'm thinking of spending a year in Vietnam to work on this NGO that a few friends and I have just founded. Our overall objective is socioeconomic development of Vietnam, and our initial projects involve a scholarship fund and a publication dealing with development issues related to the country. I also want to learn about the health care system over there, because eventually the NGO will probably deal with public health as well.
     
  6. Incendiary

    Incendiary Fantabulous Member

    Joined:
    Nov 12, 2001
    Messages:
    416
    Likes Received:
    0
    </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Cdc28p:
    <strong>I'm thinking of spending a year in Vietnam to work on this NGO that a few friends and I have just founded. Our overall objective is socioeconomic development of Vietnam, and our initial projects involve a scholarship fund and a publication dealing with development issues related to the country. I also want to learn about the health care system over there, because eventually the NGO will probably deal with public health as well.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Ah, that sounds really cool. What's the NGO called? And what fellowship could you get to fund this expedition? When will you find out?

    Good luck!
     
  7. Cdc28p

    Cdc28p Senior Member

    Joined:
    Mar 13, 2002
    Messages:
    325
    Likes Received:
    0
    It's the John Finley Fellowship. I was so sick that I could barely talk at the interview this morning. Failed it for sure.

    The NGO is still under wrap. :) We'll publicize it after we get the website and incorporation process done.
     
  8. Cambrian

    Cambrian Colonel/Senior Member

    Joined:
    Nov 7, 2001
    Messages:
    284
    Likes Received:
    0
    Hey, Cdc28p, are you Vietnamese? Are you that Vietnamese guy who went to Harvard for undergrad? I think I visited your website and also the Harvard Vietnamese Club.
     
  9. Cdc28p

    Cdc28p Senior Member

    Joined:
    Mar 13, 2002
    Messages:
    325
    Likes Received:
    0
    </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Cambrian:
    <strong>Hey, Cdc28p, are you Vietnamese? Are you that Vietnamese guy who went to Harvard for undergrad? I think I visited your website and also the Harvard Vietnamese Club.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Yup, I'm Vietnamese. But there are quite a few Vietnamese guys at Harvard. :) Are you Vietnamese?
     
  10. Cambrian

    Cambrian Colonel/Senior Member

    Joined:
    Nov 7, 2001
    Messages:
    284
    Likes Received:
    0
    Yeah, I'm Vietnamese. Born in Viet Nam and came to the U.S. in 1989. I remember now, I think you did mention that you were in the Harvard dorm when you got you Harvard acceptance. Congrats by the way. By the way, is your hometown San Jose? That's where I live too.
     
  11. Cdc28p

    Cdc28p Senior Member

    Joined:
    Mar 13, 2002
    Messages:
    325
    Likes Received:
    0
    </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Cambrian:
    <strong>Yeah, I'm Vietnamese. Born in Viet Nam and came to the U.S. in 1989. I remember now, I think you did mention that you were in the Harvard dorm when you got you Harvard acceptance. Congrats by the way. By the way, is your hometown San Jose? That's where I live too.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Yes, I'm from San Jose, home of the MLS champions Earthquakes, WUSA champions Cyberays, and soon-to-be NHL champions Sharks!!!

    Gotta go back to studying for finals, but drop me a PM if you want to chat.
     

Share This Page