2007 Match Lists

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
...The prelim can be in medicine or surgery or you can do a transitional, which as NCF states, is a mix of surgery and medicine (more the latter), and then to be cushier...

Actually, a Prelim year can be done in other fields as well, but Medicine and Surgery are most common. Prelim Peds is a possibility. Hard to find, but you can do a prelim Ob/Gyn.

Question- Is it any easier to match into your med school's hospital as opposed to trying to match else where?

Most definitely, unless your home program is unreasonably competitive on a national scale, or you have burned bridges during third-year clerkships. Students often apply to home programs as a sort of safety.

I didn't apply to mine, and people though I was committing some form of career suicide. You should have seen the looks I got. :eek:

Members don't see this ad.

sorry if it's a repost, i quickly checked

link

Most definitely, unless your home program is unreasonably competitive on a national scale, or you have burned bridges during third-year clerkships. Students often apply to home programs as a sort of safety.

I didn't apply to mine, and people though I was committing some form of career suicide. You should have seen the looks I got. :eek:

Yeah I have a friend that didn't match last week (I feel so awful for him), and apparently he had ranked his home program fourth or fifth which may have been a big mistake. I don't know how many programs he ranked, but it seemed like he was away for a lot of interviews in November and December.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah I have a friend that didn't match last week (I feel so awful for him), and apparently he had ranked his home program fourth or fifth which may have been a big mistake. I don't know how many programs he ranked, but it seemed like he was away for a lot of interviews in November and December.
This is a common misconception. It doesn't matter where you rank your programs. If ANY of the programs (including the one last one your rank list) has a place for you, then you will match. There's no way to game the system. You don't have to think about where you could match. You really just have to rank them in the order you like them.

This is a common misconception. It doesn't matter where you rank your programs. If ANY of the programs (including the one last one your rank list) has a place for you, then you will match. There's no way to game the system. You don't have to think about where you could match. You really just have to rank them in the order you like them.

I need further explanation on this. The computer has an algorithm that finds the best match between the lists of the program and the lists of the students.

So lets say, for example, that I rank my home program #5, and they rank me #10.

My friend ranks the home program #1, and they rank him #11.

I would think, in this case, the computer would give my friend the spot at the home program over me. Right?

If this were the case, then it could hurt you to match your home program really low.

I need further explanation on this. The computer has an algorithm that finds the best match between the lists of the program and the lists of the students.

So lets say, for example, that I rank my home program #5, and they rank me #10.

My friend ranks the home program #1, and they rank him #11.

I would think, in this case, the computer would give my friend the spot at the home program over me. Right?

If this were the case, then it could hurt you to match your home program really low.
Go here for a complete explanation.

Yeah, basically what happens is: the computer puts you in your first choice program. Say that program has 10 openings - if you're ranked in the top 10, you will stay there. But if, for example, you're ranked #15, you will stay there unless 10 of the people ahead of you have also ranked that program #1 (or rank it #2, but get bumped out of their #1, etc). Then, if they do, you will get bumped to your #2 program, where the same thing will happen, until you either end up at a program or the computer goes through all the programs on your list and you don't match at any of them.

awesome!

i wonder how many students don't follow the optimum protocol in matching.
You would really be surprised how many people post in residency forums saying stuff like "oh, man, I didn't match. I should have put this lower program higher on my list and maybe I would have matched." It's kind of pitiful.

wow, from a computer science point of view, writing that algorithm would be a bitch. Sounds like a problem they would give in the national competitions.

U Florida Prog-Shands Hosp Internal Medicine
East Tennessee St Univ Psychiatry
Wake Forest Baptist Med Ctr-NC Anesthesiology
U Tennessee COM-Chatta Pediatrics
U Tennessee COM-Memphis Pediatrics
U of Massachusetts Med School Family Medicine
U of Hawaii / U Arizona Affil Hosp Surgery-Preliminary / Anesthesiology
Wake Forest Baptist Med Ctr-NC Family Medicine
U Tennessee COM-Memphis Medicine-Pediatrics
York Hospital-PA Surgery-Preliminary
Wake Forest Baptist Med Ctr-NC Internal Medicine
U Illinois COM-Chicago Psychiatry
Baptist Health System-AL / U Alabama Med Ctr-Birmingham Transitional / Anesthesiology
U South Alabama Hospitals Pathology
Spartanburg Regional Surgery-Preliminary
Brody SOM Pediatrics
University Hosp-Cincinnati -OH Otolaryngology
U Tenn Grad SOM-Knoxville Internal Medicine
Baptist Health System-AL / U Alabama Med Ctr-Birmingham Transitional / Anesthesiology
U Alabama Med Ctr-Birmingham Pediatrics / Child Neurology
Stony Brook Teach Hosps-NY Orthopaedic Surgery
Maine-Dartmouth Fam Prac Family Medicine
Floyd Med Ctr-GA Family Medicine
U Washington Affil Hosps Plastic Surgery
U Louisville SOM-KY Internal Medicine
Wake Forest Baptist Med Ctr-NC Emergency Medicine
East Tennessee St Univ Surgery-Preliminary
Dartmouth-Hitchcock Med Ctr-NH Psychiatry
Mt Sinai Hospital-NY Psychiatry
UCLA Medical Center/Santa Monica-CA Family Medicine
East Tennessee St Univ Medicine-Preliminary
U Florida Prog-Shands Hosp Pediatrics
U Kentucky Med Ctr Internal Medicine
Mercer U SOM Pediatrics
LSU SOM Surgery-Preliminary
U Tenn Grad SOM-Knoxville Trans/Radiology / Radiology -Diagnostic
U Tennessee COM-Chatta Family Medicine
U Iowa Hosp/Clin-Iowa City Emergency Medicine
U Arizona Affil Hosps Emergency Medicine
Virginia Commonwealth U Hlth Sys Pediatrics
U Tennessee COM-Memphis Medicine-Preliminary
East Tennessee St Univ / U Tenn Grad SOM-Knoxville Medicine-Preliminary / Anesthesiology
U Tenn Grad SOM-Knoxville Internal Medicine
East Tennessee St Univ (Johnson City) Family Medicine
East Tennessee St Univ (Bristol) Family Medicine
U Tennessee COM-Chatta Surgery-Preliminary
Hershey Med Ctr/Penn State-PA Emergency Medicine
Medical University of SC Pediatrics
Union Memorial Hosp-MD General Surgery

Members don't see this ad :)
wow, from a computer science point of view, writing that algorithm would be a bitch. Sounds like a problem they would give in the national competitions.
I think that's why they allow three weeks from the time everyone submits their final rank order lists to Match Day--so they can run the algorithm a few times to make sure they get the same result.

You would really be surprised how many people post in residency forums saying stuff like "oh, man, I didn't match. I should have put this lower program higher on my list and maybe I would have matched." It's kind of pitiful.

Yet in the face of the anxiety that is Match, intelligent fourth-year students still believe this. I had to read the info several times before I believed that the rank of my programs would not affect my ability to actually match, only where I matched.

assumption: I am an intelligent fourth-year student.

surprisingly, although they have made some modifications, they have run this computer algorithm for a few decades. I think since the 50's. I can only imagine the punch-card computer they originally used.

I disagree. The algorithm seems pretty darn simple in its basic case. Simply a series of iterative loops with the ability to push and pop elements off a list. The same procedure is followed for every candidate, and if they are bumped then they just need to re-run the procedure for that individual. The issue, imo, is trying to optimize it for speed, because the number of comparisons in the simple algorithm would be huge. That could be nasty.

I think that's why they allow three weeks from the time everyone submits their final rank order lists to Match Day--so they can run the algorithm a few times to make sure they get the same result.

It would have to be a pretty bad program if it produced different results each time it ran. Furthermore, producing a consistent result doesn't suggest that the result is right. Maybe they have several different algorithms that they run and compare...

Sorry, I just indulged my inner computer-nerd there for a second. It's out of my system now. How about that local sports team??!!

EDIT: Great link Milk, btw. Thanks for the info...

surprisingly, although they have made some modifications, they have run this computer algorithm for a few decades. I think since the 50's. I can only imagine the punch-card computer they originally used.
Yeah, the match used to be done by a bunch of little old ladies who congregated in a gymnasium and sorted through the index cards. (So I've heard.)

So here's a new question, everybody knows about the "oh 120% of our students matched into their top 3 choice" stats, right? So this either means that they were all super awesome candidates or (and I think this is more plausible), they didn't put their very top choices at the very top because they thought they didn't have a chance, maybe due to pressure from the school.

UF boasts a USMLE average of over 230 (which i remember the dean telling me as well) http://www.med.ufl.edu/oea/cc/romrell5.html

Here is UF's 2005 matchlist http://www.med.ufl.edu/oea/cc/match05.pdf

I realize that many UF students prefer to stay in-state. Also, the ones that venture out-of-state, IMO, do not have matches similar (in caliber) to schools such as Penn (which also boasts a very high USMLE average >230); nonetheless, I realize that there are some very impressive matches in many competitive fields for UF students, which definitely speaks to the dominant factor of the USMLE in this process.

Overall, though, I think this data also does speak against the USMLE-is-everything paradigm. It seems, IMO, that going to more reputable medical schools does matter significantly in matching.... which can end up being huge for those interested in academia.

Sorry to stir this up again, but I couldn't resist.

So here's a new question, everybody knows about the "oh 120% of our students matched into their top 3 choice" stats, right? So this either means that they were all super awesome candidates or (and I think this is more plausible), they didn't put their very top choices at the very top because they thought they didn't have a chance, maybe due to pressure from the school.
Yes and no. People can only rank the places they interview at, so if you manage to get an interview somewhere highly ranked and that's your first choice, no one in their right mind would tell you not to rank them highly because you're obviously able to match there. However, many applicants don't interview at competitive places that may be in their top 3 initially so they do not rank them, so their "top 3" changes once they rank their programs.

I think a valid point to consider is also what programs the applicants are ranking. If Harvard says 75% of all students get their top 3 choices and Podunk U claims the same percentage, yet most of the choices of Harvard grads are in the top 20 of their respective fields while those applied to by applicants at PU are less highly regarded, there is definitely a difference regardless of the same claimed percentage.

It gets complicated though b/c the match is weighted so you can get your first choice. They really try hard to get you your #1. The statistics are difficult to understand but, as it was explained to me, you have the best shot at your #1 if you are somewhere on their list.

So, if your #2 program already filled their spots with people who ranked it #1 you will not match there.

This can happen for every place you rank (especially if you are trying for an ultra competitive specialty or location) = you don't match.

It gets complicated though b/c the match is weighted so you can get your first choice. They really try hard to get you your #1. The statistics are difficult to understand but, as it was explained to me, you have the best shot at your #1 if you are somewhere on their list.

So, if your #2 program already filled their spots with people who ranked it #1 you will not match there.

This can happen for every place you rank (especially if you are trying for an ultra competitive specialty or location) = you don't match.

Only if those people were ranked above you by the program - otherwise, the program would not have "already" filled their spots with other people.

UF boasts a USMLE average of over 230 (which i remember the dean telling me as well) http://www.med.ufl.edu/oea/cc/romrell5.html

Here is UF's 2005 matchlist http://www.med.ufl.edu/oea/cc/match05.pdf

I realize that many UF students prefer to stay in-state. Also, the ones that venture out-of-state, IMO, do not have matches similar (in caliber) to schools such as Penn (which also boasts a very high USMLE average >230); nonetheless, I realize that there are some very impressive matches in many competitive fields for UF students, which definitely speaks to the dominant factor of the USMLE in this process.

Overall, though, I think this data also does speak against the USMLE-is-everything paradigm. It seems, IMO, that going to more reputable medical schools does matter significantly in matching.... which can end up being huge for those interested in academia.

Sorry to stir this up again, but I couldn't resist.

I kind of agree with you. If you plan on matching at the top academic residency position in the country, then yes the reputation of your medical school matters. But if you simply plan on matching into a competitive field and maybe not the most competitive institution, then your USMLE scores will matter just as much, maybe even more.

For example, just look at the Barrow Neurological example. Every year a couple of kids from Columbia match there. Is it because they had the highest USMLE scores? Maybe, I don't know. But Columbia's rep as sure as hell helped them get there.

By popular demand...

Anesthesiology (12)

Georgetown x3
Ohio State Univ Med Ctr
UCSF
Maimonides Med Ctr
NYU
USC
Temple
UCLA
Penn State
Wilford Hall

Dermatology (2)
U Iowa
U Colorado

Emergency Med (10)
Hosp of U of PA
Oregon H & S
Loma Linda x2
Maine Med Ctr
Resurrection Med Ctr
Brooke Army Medical Ctr
Hennepic Co Med Ctr
Henry Ford HSC
GW

Family Med (8)
Prov Milwaukie Hosp
UVM
Fort Belvoir
Bryn Mawr
Contra Costa Reg
Lancaster Gen Hosp
Exempla St Joseph
Providence Hosp

General Surgery (11)
UC Davis
Yale
Temple
New England Med Ctr
SUNY HSC Brooklyn
Emory
Gtown x2
Eisenhower Army Med Ctr
San Diego Naval Med Ctr
Baylor

Int Med/Women's health (1)
VCU

Internal Med (28)
Mt Sinai x2
Stanford x2
Pitt x2
Madigan Army Medical
Spokane
Washington Hosp Ctr
BI Deaconess
U SF
U Mass
Gtown x7
St Vincents
UIC
Bethesda Naval
Walter Reed Army Medical
Oregon HSU
Mayo
Yale
Brown
Tripler Army Medical

Med-Derm (1)
Washington Hosp Ctr

Med-Peds (6)
Pitt
Yale
Gtown
U Minnesota
UCLA
Mt Sinai

Neurology (4)
Walter Reed Army Medical
Mayo x2 (MN, FL)
Yale

Neurosurgery (3)
UTSW
Yale
NYU

Ob-Gyn (13)
NYU
UIC
GW x2
Metropolitan Hosp Ctr
Thomas Jefferson x2
USUHS Bethesda
Baylor
Stanford
Washington Hosp Ctr
Gtown
Hopkins

Ophthalmology (11)
Gtown x2
Columbia
St Louis
Wills Eye
NYU
North Shore/LIJ
UVA
NY Eye and Ear Infirmary
GW
St Vincents

Orthopaedic Surgery (13)
Pitt
St Lukes Roosevelt
Gtown x2
Mayo
U Maryland
San Diego Naval
GW
Monmouth
UIC
Loyola
U Michigan
UMDNJ RWJ

ENT (5)
Gtown x3
Hopkins
Univ Hosp Columbia MO

Path (2)
UNC
Northwestern

Peds (13)
Gtown x2
New England Medical
Childrens Orange CA
Cornell
Childrens National DC
Hopkins
USF
UNC
UC Davis
Stanford
Einsterin/Montefiore
U Chicago

PM and R (2)
Columbia
VCU

Plastic Surgery (1)

Gtown

Psych (3)
St Lukes Roosevelt
San Diego Naval
GW

Rad Onc (2)
NIH
Fox Chase Cancer Ctr

Rad (10)
Santa Barbara Cottage Hosp
Beth Israel NY
Utah
St Josephs
Emory
Temple
Hosp of U PA
Einstein/Montefiore
Barnes Jewish
Stanford

Urology (3)
MCG
Pitt
Gtown

Success of a school's match is often reliant on the Dean's office and advisors as well. At our school each 4th year meets with the Academic Dean, what we like to call a "come to Jesus" meeting (this is the land of Southern Baptists). In this meeting, you are given an objective assessment at your shot of a certain specialty. Ortho? Hah. Try FP. Same thing should occur with your advisor. If the student body has received good guidance, this will decrease the number of scrambles.

Uhhh...the only way you can match is if you're ranked by the program to begin with.

There's no secret way to game the match. You can't ensure that you'll match by re-arranging your rank order list. If you're going to match, you're going to match regardless of where you rank programs. See the link I posted earlier.

Stanford's Match List??????

Yeah, the match used to be done by a bunch of little old ladies who congregated in a gymnasium and sorted through the index cards. (So I've heard.)

I heard that they use manatees who pick students' names from a random pool of ping pong balls. If you take away one of the ping pong balls, they stop picking.

I heard that they use manatees who pick students' names from a random pool of ping pong balls. If you take away one of the ping pong balls, they stop picking.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

That episode is so good!

Anesthesiology (9)
U Southern California-CA
SUNY HSC Brooklyn-NY
Rush University Med Ctr-IL
U Southern California-CA
Virginia Mason Med Ctr-WA
U Southern California-CA
Loma Linda University-CA
Northwestern McGaw/NMH/VA-IL
UC Irvine Med Ctr-CA
Emergency Medicine (19)

Emergency Medicine (19)
U Arizona Affil Hosps-AZ
Emory Univ SOM-GA
Henry Ford HSC-MI
U Texas Med Sch-Houston-TX
Kern Medical Center-CA
Kern Medical Center-CA
Cook County-Stroger Hospital-IL
Regions Hosp/HealthPartners-MN
Madigan Army Med Ctr-WA
Maimonides Med Ctr-NY
Maimonides Med Ctr-NY
University of Virginia-VA
Long Island Jewish Med Ctr-NY
Boston Univ Med Ctr-MA
UCLA Medical Center-CA
Cook County-Stroger Hospital-IL
Lincoln Medical Ctr-NY
University Hosp-Cincinnati-OH
St Lukes-Roosevelt-NY

Family Practice (11)
Mountainside Hosp-NJ
Middlesex Hospital-CT
West Suburban Med Ctr-IL
Harbor-UCLA Med Ctr-CA
West Suburban Med Ctr-IL
Hinsdale Hospital-IL
Long Beach Mem Med Ctr-CA
Kaiser Perm-Woodland Hills-CA
Middlesex Hospital-CT
Pomona Valley Hosp-CA
UC San Diego Med Ctr-CA

Internal Medicine (36)
U Illinois COM-Chicago-IL
Jewish Hospital-OH
Harbor-UCLA Med Ctr-CA
Prov Portland Med Ctr-OR
Legacy Emanuel/Good Samaritan-OR
U Nebraska Affil Hosp-NE
Loyola Univ Med Ctr-IL
Olive View-UCLA Med Ctr-CA
Harbor-UCLA Med Ctr-CA
Baylor Coll Med-Houston-TX
B I Deaconess Med Ctr-MA
NYU School Of Medicine-NY
Huntington Memorial Hosp-CA
Scripps Mercy Hosp/San Diego-CA
Advocate Lutheran Gen Hosp-IL
UC Irvine Med Ctr-CA
UMDNJ-New Jersey Med-Newark-NJ
Kaiser Permanente-SF-CA
McMaster University-Hamilton-ON
Huntington Memorial Hosp-CA
Cedars-Sinai Medical Center-CA
Northwestern McGaw/ENH-IL
UC Davis Med Ctr-CA
Allegheny Gen Hosp-PA
Med Coll Wisconsin Aff Hosps-WI
Loma Linda University-CA
RFUMS/Chicago Med Sch-IL
Scripps Clin/Green Hosp-CA
Mayo School of Grad Med Educ-MN
Cleveland Clinic Fdn-OH
RFUMS/Chicago Med Sch-IL
Boston Univ Med Ctr-MA

Medicine-Emergency Medicine (1)
Long Island Jewish Med Ctr-NY

Medicine/Pediatrics (2)
Christiana Care-DE
U IL-St Francis Med Ctr

Medicine/Prelimiary (31)
Advocate IL Masonic Med Ctr-IL
Med Coll Wisconsin Aff Hosps -WI
Alameda Co Med Ctr-CA
RFUMS/Chicago Med Sch-IL
U Illinois COM/Adv Christ Med Ctr-Chicago-IL
U IL-St Francis Med Ctr-IL
St. John Hospital-MI
UC San Francisco-Fresno-CA
U Nevada SOM-Reno-NV
UC San Diego Med Ctr-CA
Harbor-UCLA Med Ctr-CA
Kaiser Perm-Santa Clara-CA
UC San Diego Med Ctr-CA
Lackland AFB-TX
Johns Hopkins/Sinai-MD
Loma Linda University-CA
Norwalk Hospital-CT
Richmond U Med Ctr-NY
Riverside Methodist-OH
UC San Francisco-Fresno-CA

Neurological Surgery (1)

Neurology (4)
Mayo School of Grad Med Educ-MN
UC San Diego Med Ctr-CA
Harbor-UCLA Med Ctr-CA
Temple Univ Hosp-PA

Obstetrics/Gynecology (7)
Kaiser Permanente-Oakland-CA
UMDNJ-R W Johnson-PiscatawaNJ
Danbury Hospital-CT
Loyola Univ Med Ctr-IL
U Arizona Affil Hosps-AZ
St Joseph Hosp-IL

Ophthalmololgy (7)
Univ of Florida-FL
Stanford Univ Progs-CA
Univ of Texas-Southwestern-TX
U of California-San Diego-CA
U of Virginia-VA
Drexel University-PA
University of Washington-WA

Orthopaedic Surgery (4)

McGill University-Montreal-QC
Banner Good Samaritan Med Ctr-AZ
U Colorado SOM-Denver -CO
Loyola Univ Med Ctr-IL

Otolaryngology (2)
U Southern California-CA

Pediatrics (18)
Childrens Hosp-LA-CA
U Southern California -CA
U Michigan Hosps-Ann Arbor-MI
Childrens Hosp Boston-MA
Stanford Univ Progs-CA
Oregon Health & Science Univ-OR
Advocate Christ Med Ctr-IL
UPMC Medical Education Prog-PA
Childrens Hosp Boston-MA
Childrens Hosp-Oakland-CA
Miami Childrens Hosp-FL
Harbor-UCLA Med Ctr-CA
Childrens Hosp-Orange Co-CA
Harbor-UCLA Med Ctr-CA
UC Irvine Med Ctr-CA

Phys Med & Rehab (10)
U Colorado SOM-Denver -CO
UCLA/VA Greater LA Hlth Sys-CA
Marianjoy Rehab Hosp-IL
Harvard/Spaulding-MA
UPMC Medical Education Prog-PA
SUNY HSC Brooklyn-NY

Temple Univ Hosp-PA
Northwestern McGaw/RIC-IL

Psychiatry (5)
Emory Univ SOM-GA
Thomas Jefferson Univ-PA
CA Pacific Med Center-CA
U Southern California-CA

Radiation Oncology (1)
Kaiser Permanente-So CA Region-CA

Radiology-Diagnostic (19)
UC Irvine Med Ctr-CA
UC Davis Med Ctr-CA
St Francis Hosp-Evanston-IL
Advocate IL Masonic Med Ctr-IL
St Josephs Reg Med Ctr-WI
Indiana Univ Sch Of Med-IN
U Texas Med Sch-Houston-TX
Ochsner Clinic Foundation-LA
SUNY Upstate Med University-NY
UMDNJ-New Jersey Med-Newark-NJ
U Colorado SOM-Denver-CO
Loyola Univ Med Ctr-IL
UC Davis Med Ctr-CA
Barnes-Jewish Hosp-MO
U Rochester/Strong Mem-NY

Surgery-General (15)
NYP Hosp-Weill Cornell Med Ctr-NY
UIC/Metro Group Hospitals-IL
Baylor Coll Med-Houston-TX
Grand Rapids Med Ed-MI
Naval Medical Center-CA
U Southern California-CA
Grand Rapids Med Ed-MI
Madigan Army Med Ctr-WA
NY Hosp/Med Ctr Queens-NY
UIC/Metro Group Hospitals-IL

Westchester Med Ctr-NY
UIC/Mt Sinai Hosp Med Ctr-IL
Madigan Army Med Ctr-WA

Surgery - Preliminary (12)

Lenox Hill Hospital-NY
Loyola Univ Med Ctr-IL
St. Joseph Hosp-IL
Boston Univ Med Ctr-MA
NYP Hosp-Weill Cornell Med Ctr-NY
Nassau Univ Med Ctr-NY
Temple Univ Hosp-PA
Dartmouth-Hitchcock Med Ctr-NH

Transitional (15)
Gundersen Lutheran Med Fdn-WI
Harbor-UCLA Med Ctr-CA
Kern Medical Center-CA
Resurrection Med Ctr-IL
Louis Weiss/U Chicago-IL
Swedish Covenant Hosp-IL
Kern Medical Center-CA
Grand Rapids Med Ed-MI
Marshfield/St Josephs-WI
Swedish Covenant Hosp-IL
Grand Rapids Med Ed-MI
Maimonides Med Ctr-NY
San Joaquin Gen Hosp-CA
Virginia Mason Med Ctr-WA

Below you'll find the match list for the University of Miami Miller School of Medicine class of 2007. First, a couple of thoughts:

1.) Since I couldn't find it on the website, I had to OCR the data and fiddle with it in excel. As a consequence, there are a few OCR mis-reads in there.

2.) I'll echo the sentiment that the number of students matching into certain specialties is primarily an indicator of student preference. Our class had strong cardiology and neurology influences, and as a result, a substantially higher number of us than usual, including some of our strongest students, chose to go into IM and neurology this year.

3.) Virtually everyone who wanted to go into the so-called hypercompetitive specialties matched into them. I only know of one person who did not successfully match into one of those fields.

4.) Because UMMSM is the only MD school in a large metropolitan area, a good number of us come here because of ties to the area. It is no surprise, then, that we display a high degree of inbreeding when it comes time to decide where we'd like to go for residency. This year was no exception.

Okay, the list, minus the prelims:

Tallies by residency program affiliation:

UMiami 38
Harvard 6
Emory 6
UVa 6
UAB 4
Brown 3
Mount Sinai 3
NYU 3
Case Western 3
Penn 2
UCSF 2
WashU 2
Michigan 2
Mayo 2
UT Southwestern 2
Albert Einstein 2
NYMC 2
SUNY Downstate 2
UT San Antonio 2
VCU 2
Duke 1
Yale 1
Cornell 1
Northwestern 1
Dartmouth 1
UWash 1
Pitt 1
UNC-Chapel Hill 1
GW 1
UMDNJ 1
UC Davis 1
Oregon HSU 1
UC Irvine 1
St. Louis U 1
UT Houston 1
Tulane 1
U of Florida 1
Wayne State 1
U of Louisville 1
UMass 1
MUSC 1
U of Oklahoma 1
SUNY Buffalo 1
USC 1
MCG 1

Tallies by specialty:

Internal Medicine 37
Anesthesiology 10
Neurology 9
Radiology 8
Obstetrics & Gynecology 8
General Surgery 7
Pediatrics 6
ENT 5
Psychiatry 5
Emergency Medicine 4
Family Medicine 4
Pathology 4
Neurological Surgery 3
Ophthalmology 3
PM&R 3
Dermatology 2
Orthopaedic Surgery 2
Medicine-Pediatrics 1
Pediatric Neurology 1
Radiation-Oncology 1
Urology 1

Match results by specialty:

Anesthesiology (10)
UM/Jackson Memorial Hospital, Miami, FL (5)
Harvard Brigham & Womens Hospital, Boston, MA
Cornell/New York Presbyterian Hospital, New York, NY
University of Virginia, Charlottesville, VA
Case Western/University Hospitals, Cleveland, OH
St Vincents Hospital, New York, NY

Dermatology (2)
UM/Jackson Memorial Hospital, Miami, FL (2)

Emergency Medicine (4)
Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC
Einstein/Jacobi Medical Center, Bronx, NY
Carolinas Medical Center, Charlotte. NC
University of Louisville, Louisville, KY

ENT (5)
New York Eye And Ear Infirmary, New York, NY
University of Florida/Shands Hospital Gainesville FL
UM/Jackson Memorial Hospital, Miami, FL
Virginia Commonwealth University Hth Sys, Richmond, VA
WSU/Detroit Medical Center, Detroit, MI

Family Medicine (4)
Brown Medical School/Memorial Hospital, Providence, RI
University of Michigan Hospitals, Ann Arbor, MI
Lynchburg Family Medicine, Lynchburg, VA
Florida Hospital, Orlando, FL

General Surgery (7)
UM/Jackson Memorial Hospital, Miami, FL (3)
WashU Barnes-Jewish Hospital, St. Louis, MO
Einstein/Jacobi Medical Center Bronx, NY
SUNY HSC, Brooklyn, NY
Physicians Medical Center Carraway, Birmingham, AL

Internal Medicine (37)
UM/Jackson Memorial Hospital, Miami, FL (14)
Emory University School of Medicine, Atlanta, GA (3)
Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, NY (2)
University of Virginia, Charlottesville, VA (2)
Harvard Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center Boston, MA
Northwestern McGaw/NMH/VA, Chicago, IL
Brown University, Providence, Rhode Island
University of Washington, Seattle, WA
Mayo Graduate School of Medicine, Rochester MN
New York University School Of Medicine, New York, NY
UT Southwestern Medical School Dallas TX
University of Alabama Medical Center, Birmingham, AL
Cleveland Clinic Florida, Weston, FL
George Washington University, Washington, DC
Kaiser Permanente, San Francisco, CA
North Shore University, Manhasset, NY
Oregon Health & Science University, Portland, OR
Tulane University, New Orleans, LA
University of California Davis Med Ctr, Sacramento, CA
University of California Irvine Medical Ctr., Orange, CA

Medicine-Pediatrics (1)

Neurological Surgery (3)
Medical College of Georgia, Augusta, GA
St. Louis University, St. Louis, MO
University of Texas San Antonio, San Antonio, TX

Neurology (9)
(Penn) Hospital of the University of PA, Philadelphia, PA
Yale-New Haven Hospital, New Haven, CT
Emory University School of Medicine, Atlanta, GA
Brown University, Providence, Rhode Island
University of Alabama Medical Center, Birmingham, AL
Mayo Graduate School of Medicine, Jacksonville, FL
University of Oklahoma, Oklahoma City, OK
University of Massachusetts Med School

Obstetrics & Gynecology (8)
Case Western/University Hospitals, Cleveland, OH (2)
University of Pittsburgh Medical Center MEP, Pittsburgh, PA
New York University School Of Medicine, New York, NY
Kaiser Permanente, Oakland, CA
Medical University of South Carolina, Charleston, SC

Ophthalmology (3)
UM/Bascom Palmer Eye Institute, Miami, FL (2)
University of Texas Southwestern, Dallas, TX

Orthopaedic Surgery (2)
Virginia Commonwealth University Hth Svs, Richmond, VA
William Beaumont Army Medical Center EI Paso, TX

Pathology (4)
Harvard Brigham & Womens Hospital Boston, MA (AP/CP)
Harvard Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Boston, MA
University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA
University of Texas Medical School, Houston, TX

Pediatric Neurology (1)
(Penn) Children's Hospital of Philadelphia, PA

Pediatrics (6)
(Harvard) Childrens Hospital, Boston, MA
(WashU) St Louis Childrens Hospital, St. Louis, MO
University of Michigan Hospitals, Ann Arbor, MI
University of California San Francisco, Fresno, CA

PM&R (3)
University of Alabama, Birmingham, AL
University of Texas HSC, San Antonio, TX
UMDNJ-New Jersey Medical, Newark NJ

Psychiatry (5)
Harvard Longwood, Boston, MA
Mount Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
New York University School of Medicine, New York, NY

Radiation-Oncology (1)

Radiology (8)
UM/Jackson Memorial Hospital, Miami, FL (3)
University of Virginia, Charlottesville, VA (2)
Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center, Lebanon, NH
Memorial Health University Medical Center, Savannah, GA

Urology (1)
State University of New York at Buffalo, Buffalo, NY

does anyone have columbia's? did i miss it?

I'm doing an analysis of the gender breakdown of residency choices for each school. The NRMP data is lacking in this specific data

I've scoured the lists that are available. It doesn't seem like there have been new ones.

I have a grant - I'm willing to pay for a complete match list (names, specialty, match result) for any school I don't have yet.

This will be kept for my use only - I won't turn around and post it.

So for all you lurkers out there - and people who posted incomplete match lists - I'm increasing the ante.

$20 per match list. PM me if you have one and are willing to send it (electronic, fax, typed out). I'll let you know if I don't have it. Even if it's publicly posted somewhere and I jsut haven't found it yet

Internal Medicine:
MGH (14)
Brigham (18)
Cornell
University of Toronto
UCSF (3)
UTSW
BIDMC (5)
Upenn (3)
Stanford
Columbia (3)
Hopkins
Yale New Haven (2)
UCLA
UWashington

Med/Peds
:
Brigham

Pediatrics:
Children’s Boston (5)
Children’s Los Angeles
MGH (2)
CHOP
UCSF (2)
University of Washington (2)
Baylor

Emergency Med:
Alameda County (3)
Temple
UCLA Harbor
Brigham-MGH (3)
Brown
Vanderbilt
St. Lukes-Roosevelt
Yale-New Haven
BIDMC
Hopkins

Family Practice
:
UCSF
Cambridge
Ventura County Medical Center

Neurology
:
Hopkins
Children’s Boston
MGH (5)

Urology
:
Cornell
MGH (2)

Plastic Surgery:
Brigham
UCSF
MGH

Oral/Maxillofacial Surgery
:
MGH

General Surgery
:
Brigham (4)
NYU
UCSF (2)
Uchicago

Otolaryngology
:
Mass Eye and Ear Infirmary (2)
Navy (Sand Diego)
University of Minnesota
Hopkins

Ob/Gyn:
Brigham (2)
Tulane
UCSF
University of Michigan

Ophthalmology
:
University of Iowa
USC
Scheie Eye Institute, Philadelphia

Orthopaedic Surgery
:
UCSF
Upenn
MGH (3)
Duke
University of Iowa
Hosp for Special Surgery, NYC
Barnes-Jewish
Columbia

Anesthesiology
:
New England Medical Center
UCLA
Brigham (2)
MGH (5)
Duke

Radiation Oncology
:
Brigham (3)
University of Washington
Columbia

Radiology
:
Brigham (4)
Beth Israel Deaconess (3)
UCSF (4)
UWashington

Prelim/Transitional:
Brigham
Navy (Maryland)
Navy (San Diego)

Psych:
Umass
Cambridge
NYU
Upenn
Columbia
UCSF
MGH

Pathology:
MGH (3)

Dermatology:
UCDavis
Stanford
Umass

Physical Med and Rehabilitation
:
Stanford

Non-Medical:
Various (5)

WashU Match List (approx. 120 students)

Anesthesiology (2)
Beth Israel Deaconess
Cornell

Dermatology (5)
WashU/BJH
U Washington 2
U Texas-Houston
Mt. Sinai

Emergency Medicine (7)
WashU/BJH 2
Summa Health
Case Western
Northwestern
Mt. Sinai
Arizona

Family Medicine (2)
St. Louis U
U Idaho

Internal Medicine (22)
WashU/BJH 6
Brigham and Women's 3
Northwestern 2
U Washington 2
Penn 2
UCSD
Mass. Gen.
UCSF
Illinois - St. Francis
Stanford
Cleveland Clinic
Missouri

Neurology (3)
WashU/BJH
UCSF 2

Neurological Surgery (3)
WashU/BJH
Harvard
USC

ObGyn (3)
WashU/BJH 2
Naval Medical Center

Ophthalmology (5)
Hopkins/Wilmer
WashU/BJH
Michigan
Vanderbilt
Ohio State

Orthopaedic Surgery (9)
WashU/BJH 2
Baylor
Rochester
Northwestern
UCSF
UC Irvine
Rush
Hopkins

Otolaryngology (2)
WashU/BJH
Virginia

Pathology (9)
WashU/BJH 2
U Washington 2
UCSF
Mass. Gen.
Brigham and Women's 2
Penn

Pediatrics (18)
WashU/St. Louis Children's 10
Children's-Boston 2
CHoP
Wisconsin
Rochester
Columbia
UCSF
UCSD

Plastic Surgery (2)
USC
UMDNJ

Psychiatry (8)
WashU/BJH 3
MGH
UCSF
Stanford 2
Illinois Chicago

Radiology, Diagnostic (8)
WashU/BJH 4
Vanderbilt
Brown
Mass. Gen.
UCSD

Radiation Oncology (2)
WashU/BJH
Thomas Jefferson

Surgery-General (9)
WashU/BJH
Columbia
South Florida
Brigham and Women's
UCLA
Indiana
Mass. Gen.
UTSW
Yale

School Breakdown
WashU/BJH 38
Harvard programs (MGH, B&W, BID, and Children's-Boston) 15
UCSF 7
U Washington 6
Penn 4
Northwestern 4

Can somebody please post Feinberg SOM's match list? And tell me if it's good or not. I'm thinking of going there and I'd like to know.

Can somebody please post Feinberg SOM's match list? And tell me if it's good or not. I'm thinking of going there and I'd like to know.

i think someone's already posted that match list.. stroll up and check the pages

Class of 2007 – Post Graduate Appointment List
Match Day – March 15, 2007

Abbasi, Adeel
Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania
Emergency Medicine

Akwaa, Frank
Johns Hopkins/Bayview-MD
Internal Medicine

Bellizzi, Matthew
University of Rochester/Strong Memorial
Neurology

Benioni, Tearikirangi
Emergency Medicine

Benson, Craig
Medicine-Pediatrics

Bertoia, Natalie
Obstetrics-Gynecology

Blumoff, Katherine
Case Western/Univ. Hosps. of Cleveland-OH
Family Medicine

Bolduc, Sarah
Medicine-Pediatrics

Chesney, Gregg
Long Island Jewish Medical Center-NY
Medicine-Emergency Med

Cochran, Thomas
Maine Medical Center-ME
Emergency Medicine

Corbelli, Jennifer
UPMC Medical Education Program-PA
Int. Med./Women’s Health

Corbin, Kimberly
Preliminary Medicine
University of Chicago Medical Center-IL
Radiation Oncology

Curley, Brian
UC San Diego Medical Center-CA
Internal Medicine

Daly, Brian
Brown University Psych Residency-RI
Psychiatry

Denman, Charles
UC Davis Medical Center-CA
Internal Medicine

Dent, Richard (Scott)
Lancaster General Hospital-PA
Family Medicine

Dhakal, Sughosh
Lehigh Valley Hospital-PA
Transitional

Dudley, Katherine
BI Deaconess Medical Center-MA
Internal Medicine

Duron, Vincent
Rhode Island Hospital/Brown U-RI
General Surgery

Erickson, Corinne
University of Maryland Medical Center-MD
Preliminary Medicine
University of Maryland Medical Center-MD
Dermatology

Felt, Jessica
Transitional
U. Washington Affiliated Hospitals-WA
Anesthesiology

Ferrantino, Michael
Internal Medicine

Fields, Barry
Yale-New Haven Hospital-CT
Medicine-Primary

Flanigan, Ryan
Orthopaedic Surgery

Giannandrea, Stephanie
Psychiatry

Guidon, Amanda
Duke University Medical Center-NC
Preliminary Medicine
Neurology

Herbert, Hadley
Virginia Commonwealth U Health System-VA
General Surgery

Kadiwar, Kavita
Psychiatry

Katz, Michael
Internal Medicine

Khan, Waseem
Mercy Hospital-Pittsburgh-PA
Transitional
Thomas Jefferson University-PA
Radiology-Diagnostic

Knopf, Joy
Surgery-Preliminary
Urology

Lim, Kuei-Cheng
NYP Hosp-Columbia U Medical Center-NY
Preliminary Medicine
NYU School of Medicine-NY
Neurology

Lovria, Erik
Preliminary Surgery

MacConaghy, Lindsay
Emergency Medicine

Malhi, Namrita
Pediatrics
Child Neurology

Mathew, Sheena
Washington Hospital Center-DC
Obstetrics-Gynecology

Mayhew, Amy
Baylor College of Medicine-Houston-TX
Psychiatry

McClintic, Benjamin
Internal Medicine

McGrath, Michael
Emergency Medicine

Moon, Karoline
Internal Medicine

Moore, Catherine
Internal Medicine

Moorthy, Meena
Baystate Medical Center-MA
Preliminary Medicine
Radiology/Vascular A

Moreau, Joanne
Pediatrics

Mottl, Alexis
Maine Medical Center-ME
Emergency Medicine

Munsaf, Swapnil
Internal Medicine

Narayan, Rashmi
UCLA Medical Center-CA
Peds/Comm Hlth-Advocacy

Noronha, Andrea
Internal Medicine

Ok, John
Johns Hopkins Hospital-MD
Anesthesiology

Okobi, Adaobi
St. Christopher’s Hospital-PA
Pediatrics

Peterson, Sarah
Internal Medicine

Petraglia, Anthony
Neurosurgery

Pilger, Emily
Preliminary Medicine
Neurology

Pirri, Michael
George Washington University-DC
Emergency Medicine

Price, Katharine
Medicine-Primary

Puri, Paul
UC San Diego Medical Center-CA
Psychiatry

Quinn, Le Keyah
Pediatrics

Rampton, Marcus
SAUSHEC-Brooke Army Medical Center-TX
Anesthesiology

Reilly, Daniel
Cambridge Hospital/CHA-MA
Psychiatry

Richards, Jeremy
University of New Mexico SOM-NM
Psychiatry

Rickards, Gretchen
Tripler Army Medical Center-HI
Internal Medicine

Rubin, Rachel
Temple University Hospital-PA
Internal Medicine

Russell, Holly Ann
Lancaster General Hospital-PA
Family Medicine

Rymanowski, Justin
Neurology

Sauer, Andrew
Massachusetts General Hospital-MA
Internal Medicine

Scherer, John
Northwestern McGaw/NMH-VA-IL
Internal Medicine

Shanker, Beth-Ann
UMDNJ-Robert Wood Johnson-Piscataway-NJ
General Surgery

Shuster, Brooke
Georgetown University Hospital-DC
Pediatrics

Southerland, Briana
Emergency Medicine

St. Cyr, Jessica
Pediatrics

Subik, M. Kristina
Pathology

Swann, Shawana
Medical University of South Carolina-SC
Obstetrics-Gynecology

Taylor, Marianne
Medicine-Pediatrics

Tomlinson, Jared
General Surgery

Uppuluri, Sarada
Internal Medicine

Vanderlinde, Sarah
Unity Health System-Rochester-NY
Preliminary Medicine
St. Luke’s-Roosevelt-NY
Radiology-Diagnostic

Whitenack, Melissa
Obstetrics-Gynecology

Wolff, Gregory
Exempla St. Joseph’s Hospital-CO
Preliminary Medicine
University of Colorado SOM-Denver-CO
Anesthesiology

Wood, James
North Shore University-Manhasset-NY
Internal Medicine

Yee, Julie
Mayo Graduate School of Medicine-AZ
General Surgery

Zareba, Karolina
Internal Medicine

Zhovtis, Svetlana
New York Downtown Hospital-NY
Preliminary Medicine
Mt. Sinai Hospital-NY
Neurology

Zysman-Cromwell, Alicia
Family Medicine/Urban

It's nice to see a few Navy people in the Harvard match list!

I desperately want to "match" into a non-medical residency.
But can it be done without an HMS/Yale/insert-brand-name-here degree??

So... lemme guess... your interviews went like this:

Interview: "So tell me... why medicine?"
Clusterfunk: "Well... actually I want to go to medical school so I can do something non-medical!"

I desperately want to "match" into a non-medical residency.
But can it be done without an HMS/Yale/insert-brand-name-here degree??
Sounds like someone wants to use their MD to match at McKinsey.