2007 Neurology Match no longer in SF Match?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gizzard

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
It was mentioned in the Interview thread above that the neurology match may be moving to become a part of the Main Match. Our Dean of Students told me that it was announced at the AAMC annual meeting last week. She wasn't sure if Neurology was going to move to the main match for PGY-1 starting in 2007 (ie. next year) or 2008.

Has anybody heard anything about this change? If it's happening for 2007, t actually helps me out a lot since I'm starting 3rd year this January (MSTP) and I'm trying to decide between neurology and other main-match things.

Members don't see this ad.

gizzard said:
It was mentioned in the Interview thread above that the neurology match may be moving to become a part of the Main Match. Our Dean of Students told me that it was announced at the AAMC annual meeting last week. She wasn't sure if Neurology was going to move to the main match for PGY-1 starting in 2007 (ie. next year) or 2008.

Has anybody heard anything about this change? If it's happening for 2007, t actually helps me out a lot since I'm starting 3rd year this January (MSTP) and I'm trying to decide between neurology and other main-match things.

From my understanding neuro will become a regular match next year.

Does anyone have any sources or substantial info on if this is really going to be true. Im interested in Neuro (2007 match), hoping to couples match/match in the same area as my girlfriend (regular match). It would be huge for me if Neuro went to the regular match! Also anyone with info on early couples matching with a partner through the regular match would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, this is true. I've heard it from multiple dept chairs and PDs along the interview trail, as well as from my home institution.

PGY-2 neuro slots that begin July 2008 will be part of the NRMP match, as will integrated programs that begin July 2007. (the 2007/2006 match is this year's match).

PGY-2 neuro slots that begin July 2008 will be part of the NRMP match, as will integrated programs that begin July 2007. (the 2007/2006 match is this year's match).[/QUOTE]

Great!! thanks for your reply. Definitely a lucky year (2007) to finally couples match in Neuro for PGY-2 2008 positions. :D

:thumbup: Good luck to everyone currently initerviewing/matching this year.

Is this still true? I just asked the Neuro residency director at my school and he said that he hadn't heard anything about it. Could it have gotten delayed a year?

My Dean of Students has said that it will move over for 2007

I also spoke to my director recently who was unsure of whether Neurology was going to move to the regular match.

Here is a quick link to the SF match page notifying that Neurology is no longer part of the SF match:

http://www.sfmatch.org/regForms/NEMPregNotice.html

However, I did email the NRMP at [email protected] and they repeated that Neurology as a specialty (the majority of programs) had decided to move to the regular match for next year 2007 (pgy/2008 positions). They also stated that there will be more information available this spring. But if you need some assurance, as I did, you can email them and they are very good about getting back to you.

Hope that helps,

My PD chairs the PDs' section of AAN, and they have definitely made the decision to move to the regular match next year.

For those of you who have talked to deans and PDs about this -- will this mean anything for the timing of interview season?

We are doing are 4th year scheduling right now, and I don't have much vacation. Does anyone have any advice about the best time to take off for interviews if you don't have much time? Thanks!!